BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Is CS suppose to get XD60's because I saw a Gun Hill bus 4750 in Flushing Main Street heading down the Q44/20's route towards Jamaica. It had about 5 ppl and they were not MTA staff because they were not wearing any uniforms just normal people sitting anywhere on the bus some on their iPhone's. The bus did not say the Q44 and had just NYCT BUS. It did not pick up anyone but was just heading down the Q44's route. So does anyone know what an XD60 would be doing in Queens on Main street along the Q44's route?

Mechanics or heading to the vendor for work.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lmao. It is ridiculous, I have a feeling one will pop up on the S79, if it does I'm leaving earth.

Who is it that needs buses anyway, and why can't they pull buses out of storage? I mean that's the whole point of having those buses in storage, is to use them when they're short on buses.  I believe the other day, I saw an RTS on Madison... It's a rarity these days but they pop up from time to time, but I don't think that bus was a storage bus...

well, the Yukon Next Gens at JFK are only there for the summer since the total is now 300+ at JFK Depot. 

280-300 is the total JFK has but the thing is theres 5 RTS out out of the 20 in total out in service (5/20 used)

*Even LGA use alot of their RTS but only on the AM/PM rush

Edited by Calvin

B15s and B35 are screwed up right now...

Because of some event at the Brownsville recreational center, they have the B35 terminal closed off completely (where they make the turnaround at). Traffic is backed up completely on Hegeman all the way back to near Brookdale Hospital. So to get around it, traffic police is making everyone use Lott Av eastbound (which is only making things worse).

Any B35s coming into Brownsville is terminating at Rockaway Av, then going down to where Hegeman & New Lots Av split off. They turning left on Mother Gaston then left again on Lott Av (my block) down to E. 98 St, then into Church from there.

Now here's where the problem lies...

Since Lott Av is a narrow 2-way street, buses are having huge problems making that left turn since cars are parked on the corner and the street itself is full of cars going the other way (and there was a small fender bender nearby so that's not helping).

I'm looking at all of this from my fire escape and it's a mess out here

Was it just me, or were the express like severely underutilized in the PM rush today? Yeah, I know it's a summer Friday, but to see a myriad of trips with 7-9 riders or less on the QM2, QM4, QM6, QM10, QM15 (4 within a 10 minute period, the highest amount of riders on one bus was like about 5), QM6, QM17, QM18, QM21, X7, X9, X10B, X27 ALL around the 5 PM hour. Some of the SI Express today even decided to be sneaky and not pick up passengers south of 34 Street, and just display the NOT IN SERVICE sign. One of the probably was packed since one of the buses broke down (2864) by Rockerfeller, and that's about it.  I did see some nicely used BM's around 7 PM though. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Yay now hopefully an RTS will do a run on the M10 just like old days :D

I doubt it. I was by the M10 today. Not a sniff of an RTS there.

9267 just passed me on 8th St on the southbound M5. Old, old bus lol.

I saw an RTS by the M3 today. Wa up the block so I didn't see what the signage was.

Was it just me, or were the express like severely underutilized in the PM rush today? Yeah, I know it's a summer Friday, but to see a myriad of trips with 7-9 riders or less on the QM2, QM4, QM6, QM10, QM15 (4 within a 10 minute period, the highest amount of riders on one bus was like about 5), QM6, QM17, QM18, QM21, X7, X9, X10B, X27 ALL around the 5 PM hour. Some of the SI Express today even decided to be sneaky and not pick up passengers south of 34 Street, and just display the NOT IN SERVICE sign. One of the probably was packed since one of the buses broke down (2864) by Rockerfeller, and that's about it.  I did see some nicely used BM's around 7 PM though. 

It's the summertime... Travel patterns change significantly. The Riverdale express buses can be light on Fridays too... A lot of people take off... Many companies have early dismissal.  Old company had it.  We would come in early around 08:30 and leave by 14:00, which I would use for excursions in the city or nice lunches.  Now what I do is I tend to sleep in later and take a later express bus or Metro-North.  My Friday BxM2 late bus coming home had a decent load.  The last bus had 12 or so.  About 7 got off between Knolls Crescent and Kappock and Henry Hudson Parkway East and West 235th st, which makes sense, since the young crowd usually take the later buses.  The remaining folks were heading for North Riverdale (I'm sure a few of them live in Yonkers, so they get off at West 263rd and Riverdale Av.)

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

What is Super Express when it comes to College Point Express routes?

There are two different types of super expresses.

The QM2, 5, 8, and 20 all run super expresses. They run in the AM and PM rush hours.

The AM super express is only available on the QM8. And this is after 7:10 AM, until the last bus from Glen Oaks leaves (at around 7:37 AM). There are three trips that do this. The AM Super Express on the QM8 runs the regular route until 188/73, then turns onto 188 street going north, making QM7 stops on the opposite side of the street. It goes express after 188 st and 64 Avenue via the LIE (skipping all Union Tpke Stops). It then proceeds to make all Downtown Stops.

The QM8 also has a PM super express, although much different from the AM. It makes one stop by Wall or John Street (I don't remember which one atm), then express until Main Street/ Union Tpke, and making all regular QM8 stops, without stopping on 188 st north of 73 Avenue.

The QM2,5, and 20 super expresses only run express in the PM rush hour, and make one stop from 6/36, then express to their first stop in Queens (Linden Place for the 2/20 and Main Street/ Union Tpke for the 5).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven