BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I have a question for my surface people, especially the older Queens folk. Mom and I were recalling the days(60s-70ish) when we would travel from Brooklyn to visit relatives in Queens. The trip(s) usually started in Bed-Stuy where we would catch the (A) to B'way-ENY and transfer to the #15 Jamaica train, today's (J). Sometimes we would catch the LIRR at Nostrand Avenue to Union Hall St. Either way we would walk over to the bus terminal at 165th St for our bus. We can't remember if it was the Q4A or Q5A but we took it to Farmers Blvd and Murdock Avenue. The question is which bus was it back then and what bus would I take today if I wanted to make the same trip. I know this goes wayyyyy back in time but I'm old enough to remember when there were fish in Baisley Pond park, there was a New York Boulevard, not Guy Brewer, and Jamaica racetrack was still in operation, LOL. Thanks in advance. Carry on

It was the Q3A which is today's Q83...

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They updated the signs for the (G) shutdown on the buses. They now say...

G TRAIN

TO METROPOLITAN AV

via MCGUINESS BLVD

G TRAIN

TO NASSAU AV

via MANHATTAN AV

G TRAIN

TO COURT SQ

via MANHATTAN AV

G TRAIN

TO COURT SQ

VIA MCGUINESS BLVD

It was the Q3A which is today's Q83...

Didn't the 5A become the 85? Edited by Fresh Pond

They updated the signs for the (G) shutdown on the buses. They now say...

G TRAIN

TO METROPOLITAN AV

via MCGUINESS BLVD

G TRAIN

TO NASSAU AV

via MANHATTAN AV

G TRAIN

TO COURT SQ

via MANHATTAN AV

G TRAIN

TO COURT SQ

VIA MCGUINESS BLVD

Didn't the 5A become the 85?

Actually, the Q5AB and the Q5A became the Q85...

Whats a "teleport" and "travis" in staten island?

Good question, I live in Staten Island and I'm not even so sure. I know the Teleport is a shopping mall, has modells and Burlington Coat factory in it (the neighbourhood might even be called Teleport (probably something industrial related)) and I believe Travis is a neighborhood (pretty industrial on one end) near the West Shore Expressway.

Good question, I live in Staten Island and I'm not even so sure. I know the Teleport is a shopping mall, has modells and Burlington Coat factory in it (the neighbourhood might even be called Teleport (probably something industrial related)) and I believe Travis is a neighborhood (pretty industrial on one end) near the West Shore Expressway.

Travis is a neighborhood of Staten Island at/around the West Shore.

Teleport is a reference to Teleport Business Park, which the S46/S96 goes through.

Why can't all the unions be the same? Why is there Mabstoa and MTA bus and nyct, and atu, twu, and all those different unions. Why can't it just be under one roof?

It was designed like that from the beginning. As long as we are fighting each other over stupid union politics, we are not banding together fighting "the man".