BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5115 has Orange LED front signage, that's a first for the RTS. Spotted on the B36.

5105 had Orange LED lights since like 2008, so RTSs been having those signs for a while.

5115 really needed new signs though, the green signs on that particular bus was awful.

IDK why they are wasting time refitting RTSs with new signs when there replacements should be arriving pretty soon. You would think they would refit the oldest Orion LF's with new signs as it seems those will be sticking around for a while.

Today I was on the B64 and I wanted to catch the B82 at Bath Ave, I saw 4846 on BusTime as a Limited, I was like yeah imma catch that. I get to bath ave, and 4846 on the B82 Limited is right there at the light. As the light turns green, I run across waving at the B/O and he saw me and drove right off, I was pissed. So I caught the B6, Xcelsior of course, and when I got to 86st, that mofo that had 4846 broke down, lmaoo, he was trying to start up and shyt, I was cracking up.

5115 has Orange LED front signage, that's a first for the RTS. Spotted on the B36.

RTSs 5105-5124, 5234, and 9444 all have Orange LED lights.

Today I was on the B64 and I wanted to catch the B82 at Bath Ave, I saw 4846 on BusTime as a Limited, I was like yeah imma catch that. I get to bath ave, and 4846 on the B82 Limited is right there at the light. As the light turns green, I run across waving at the B/O and he saw me and drove right off, I was pissed. So I caught the B6, Xcelsior of course, and when I got to 86st, that mofo that had 4846 broke down, lmaoo, he was trying to start up and shyt, I was cracking up.

RTSs 5105-5124, 5234, and 9444 all have Orange LED lights.

Actually, 5118 still has the TwinVision sign.

Some kinda interesting news, the Port Authority has awarded NYCT a contract for AirTrain busing at JFK...

http://www.panynj.gov/business-opportunities/ca-contracts-awarded.html

I'm gonna guess this will just be supplementing the PA's own buses. It's a relatively small contract award ($27,000) and don't see any of the PA's Orions going anywhere, maybe they finally got they need more buses than they have during those Airtrain shutdowns, those can be complete chaos especially when it's a full shutdown. Anyways look out for the MTA during future AirTrain shuttles...hopefully they'll send out artics cause they sure as hell need em and maybe ATU at JFK Depot won't have a problem with it like they do with subway shuttle work so they can get those D60s from right across the street.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

In 2018, the New Tappan Zee bridge will be completed. Along with the completion of the bridge will be two dedicated Bus Rapid Transit lanes to accommodate a new transportation system that will serve Rockland,Westchester and the Bronx.

Funding for this project remains a question mark and also who will be running this operation. Will the MTA get involved? Will Bee-Line or Transport of Rockland(TOR) run it? Will they formulate a new agency altogether? I would love to hear your feedback regarding this topic. Thanks. Here is a link to more info about the project.

Edited by JAC1

Travis is a neighborhood of Staten Island at/around the West Shore.

Teleport is a reference to Teleport Business Park, which the S46/S96 goes through.

Travis is located west of Bulls Head,near the western end of Victory Blvd It was originally called Linoleumville. The Teleport is actually in Bloomfield,off of South Ave

Rode the M60 SBS on Saturday after work. Pretty descent ride. If anyone is going to Parsons and Hillside anytime soon, some changes:

The Q65 stop (toward Jamaica) is where the Q113 local currently picks up

The Q113 local now shares a stop with the limited. (Parsons and 88)

The Q43 stop (toward Floral Park) is now at the Q65 stop (toward College Point). The Q65 now stops with the Q25/34 (mid-block between 88 and Hillside)

The former 43 stop is now a drop off stop for the Q111

My guess is, they need to make some kind of room for the upcoming Q114 and possibly articulated buses...

Looking through the MTA schedules, how come the BM5 to Manhattan ends very early up to 1PM?

Simple... Lack of ridership...

It's not entirely because lack of ridership, but mainly because the QM15 runs there. If the BM5 was the only one serving everything, then the span would be much longer. The BM5 is  there to provide additional service to the QM15. The QM15 could use more than hourly service after 9 AM until about 12 PM. The BM5 basically does that, since 30 minute service is not warranted either, and 45 minutes would screw up the (timing in this case) structure of the route. As for why the route runs past 11 AM, until 1 PM, is because of Spring Creek, and the residents could use it. 

It used to run until 3:40 PM into Manhattan though.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

It's not entirely because lack of ridership, but mainly because the QM15 runs there. If the BM5 was the only one serving everything, then the span would be much longer. The BM5 is  there to provide additional service to the QM15. The QM15 could use more than hourly service after 9 AM until about 12 PM. The BM5 basically does that, since 30 minute service is not warranted either, and 45 minutes would screw up the (timing in this case) structure of the route. As for why the route runs past 11 AM, until 1 PM, is because of Spring Creek, and the residents could use it. 

It used to run until 3:40 PM into Manhattan though.

He asked why the current span was so short and ridership is the reason why.  The BM5 doesn't just run with the QM15.  It serves other areas as well, so it isn't just because it supplements the QM15.

He asked why the current span was so short and ridership is the reason why.  The BM5 doesn't just run with the QM15.  It serves other areas as well, so it isn't just because it supplements the QM15.

And that's why I said it's not entirely lack or ridership either. That's a reason yeah, but the fact that the QM15 is there also is a reason as well.

The point is that if there was enough ridership it would still be running to Manhattan until 15:40, QM15 or not.

If there was enough ridership, they would probably pull off an X17 on the QM15 or something, because the 15 isn't that full after 2 PM.

If there was enough ridership, they would probably pull off an X17 on the QM15 or something, because the 15 isn't that full after 2 PM.

LOL... The X17 is a completely different story... That line is serving an area in desperate need of more express bus service.  The BM5 is the exact opposite.

Just what I said.... If ridership was there, there would be more BM5's, but it isn't.  Can't be any more clearer than that.  <_<

And that's why I said IF ridership was there, that they would be combined trips (kinda like the QM1/QM5 during the evening hours and the X17/22 during midday hours), because the 15 isn't that full during those times as to have two buses like that.