BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

The first Orion VII hybrids are not even close to retirement.

700 option order is likely mean all RTS and Orion V to retire and add fleet expansion. Lately MTA is creating new local routes and SBS routes in the past couple years. More buses is great.

Edited by w8Hou

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a respect thing. People line up single file in Bay Ridge on the S79 and S53/93, and at St George Ferry, as well as at the express bus stops in Staten Island. I'm sure it happens on many routes in the city.

The whole line thing really varies on Staten Island for the express bus.  For long lines going to Staten Island, you always have a line. When the lines are smaller people don't care as much because the thinking is there will be plenty of seats.  The Bronx express bus routes in the city appear to have lines too from what I've seen.  For the Riverdale express bus it can vary.  At Riverdale and West 236th they always form lines for the BxM1 and BxM2 because it's clear what people are waiting for, but for other stops it's hard to form lines because there are three express buses and Metro-North and the local buses, so people just wait around and get on as each service arrives.

I hope (MTA) have a plan to purchase new CNG bus .... For replacing Orion7CNG ... Some Orion7CNG fuel tank is set to expire... Only fuel tank that I know it will set to expire soon is #7560...

Any bus from 2000 and before will be retired with that big bus order. So that means all the good old 90's buses are saying goodbye. 7560 still has about 3 to 4 more years left in it because it's from 2002 if I'm not mistaken and the MTA usually retires CNG buses when they are 14 and 15 years old. Those buses just were overhauled I believe not too long ago so they are good.

Hey I have a question today I saw a Nova LFSA from Flatbush (didn't catch the #) going not in service on oriental blvd, was this done to test if the artics could turn around at the terminus of the 1/49 in case they wanted to add artics to the route or was this bus doing a regular run? If it was doing a regular run does that mean FB has a shortage that they need SBS buses to keep providing service

8907 is currently on the M4.

It's been out since this morning... Saw it on 5th this morning on the Upper East Side as I was on the BxM2... I thought it was a M106 first, but once it continued down 5th into the 80's I knew it had to be either an M1, M2, M3 or M4.  This morning it was running as a M2 limited. I said wow are they that short on buses? I haven't saw an RTS on the M2 line in years.

It's been out since this morning... Saw it on 5th this morning on the Upper East Side as I was on the BxM2... I thought it was a M106 first, but once it continued down 5th into the 80's I knew it had to be either an M1, M2, M3 or M4.  This morning it was running as a M2 limited. I said wow are they that short on buses? I haven't saw an RTS on the M2 line in years.

They'll run a few for the winter months, but that's about it.

And why is that? Short on buses?

Well, for this winter, I remember one of the B/O operating one on the M5 saying something about the batteries on the hybrid buses, or the motors, along those lines.

Edited by GojiMet86

Well, for this winter, I remember one of the B/O operating one on the M5 saying something about the batteries on the hybrid buses, or the motors, along those lines.

Yeah, the hybrid batteries cannot take extremely cold temperatures -- just like a lot of portable device batteries. We had the coldest winter in years, and the buses suffered.

8907 has run on the M4 with the same driver for the past couple days. 6329 is the one I'm watching now, finally pulled out.

So, it seems like 8907 will be out on the M4 again today. I live 10 minutes from it, so a good chance to get some good shots of it. Also, 5014 was on the M35. I know RTS' run out of the 35's depot, but I haven't seen one on there until Tuesday.

Also, someone should try to get the same RTS on two different lines in the same day. 5014 was on the 35 and then the 106 later in the evening.