BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

So, it seems like 8907 will be out on the M4 again today. I live 10 minutes from it, so a good chance to get some good shots of it. Also, 5014 was on the M35. I know RTS' run out of the 35's depot, but I haven't seen one on there until Tuesday.

Also, someone should try to get the same RTS on two different lines in the same day. 5014 was on the 35 and then the 106 later in the evening.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are those orange things on the hubcaps for? I notice that before they were a different color... Seems as if they want them to stand out for whatever reason.

The loose lug nut indicators, or "flags", do exactly what the name says. They inform drivers and maintenance when a wheel lug has loosened prematurely. They are installed on a wheel after a bus has traveled at least 100 miles and after the lug nuts are re-torqued. There use to be 2 different colors (yellow and orange). The yellow flags were for S-cam brake systems in which the wheel temperature did get as high as the wedge brake systems. Orange was for wedge brake systems and on some buses, the drive axle.

The loose lug nut indicators, or "flags", do exactly what the name says. They inform drivers and maintenance when a wheel lug has loosened prematurely. They are installed on a wheel after a bus has traveled at least 100 miles and after the lug nuts are re-torqued. There use to be 2 different colors (yellow and orange). The yellow flags were for S-cam brake systems in which the wheel temperature did get as high as the wedge brake systems. Orange was for wedge brake systems and on some buses, the drive axle.

I remember the yellow ones... Why did they get rid of them?

Because they kept melting, even if they were installed on the right bus. The finally got smart and got rid of the yellow. Now if the flags melt, we know that there is a real problem.

lol... I don't see how the color makes any difference, esp. yellow.  Black I could understand since black doesn't reflect the suns' rays, but rather attracts them. Aren't they made of the same material?  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

lol... I don't see how the color makes any difference, esp. yellow. Black I could understand since black doesn't reflect the suns' rays, but rather attracts them. Aren't they made of the same material?

The orange flags have a higher melting temperature than the yellow had.

Speaking of 8907, it's on the M5 as of right now. South Ferry-bound.

I got it. Missed it the first time, but nailed it the second time. Also got 5068 on the M98. Seems like 8907 will be loaned out to a different route every day.

Edited by lupojohn

I take the B49 most of the time and every bus I get on has cameras and drivers shields,

Other routes is just a bus, or a bus with cameras/with a driver shield but on the 49, every bus has a camera and bus shield

I think Flatbush Depot is the only depot that would have driver shields and cameras on every bus (244 total)

I take the B49 most of the time and every bus I get on has cameras and drivers shields,

Other routes is just a bus, or a bus with cameras/with a driver shield but on the 49, every bus has a camera and bus shield

I think Flatbush Depot is the only depot that would have driver shields and cameras on every bus (244 total)

well they installed it after that driver was murdered on the 46 and there was a big push by those guys.

3153_zpsc679a4c1.jpg

look at the run box

Fare boxes are recycled, so while I'm not sure about them using fare boxes from Orion 5's on some MCI's, because fare boxes are reused on various buses, this is certainly possible.

There is a MCI from UP on layover at Rockaway Parkway acting as a crew room bus, you know, those buses drivers sit in between runs.

Not exactly unusual you know...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8