BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

And exactly, that area to cross Av H on Flatbush isn't very safe with the amount of drivers trying to beat the light to turn. Now you have a fairly sizable amount of riders crossing an extra portion of a block to catch the bus? I don't see any good coming from this change. The only change that made sense was moving the n/b turn on Av I, that's it. The Q35 was a great alternative to the B41 when they get backed up or are too crowded to ride. And at least 30-50% gets off at Kings Highway, I don't see why they would want to change it.

Yeah, probably the corner where the Target entrance is. On "H", just before the signal at Flatbush.

You cannot please everybody. Making a tight turn not only slows things down; it also constitutes a safety issue in some ways because it is pretty easy for a long vehicle to jump the curb when making such a turn. Requires the vehicle to swing out a lot in order to clear the curb.

I understand, but you also have B103 short turns doing the same thing. Should they be forced to change their turning location as well? Edited by Grand Concourse

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand, but you also have B103 short turns doing the same thing. Should they be forced to change their turning location as well?

My contention is that perhaps the fewer the buses that have to make the acute angle turn, the better. Even if the short B103s cannot be taken out of the equation, at least something (the Q35s) can be taken out of the equation.

Another way to go about it would have been to have the Q35s go up Flatbush, left on "H" to terminal at northeast corner of Nostrand & "H" (like now), then make the terminal the same as the first stop heading towards Rockaway Park, or move the first stop to the southwest corner of Nostrand & "H" instead. Either way it could funnel more people through the exit at the south end of the subway station, and I mention this because it could be beneficial: It could decrease the number of people that have to cross the platform bridge at the south end of the station (if they exit a train that arrives on the west track), since everybody that wants the Q35 could just go out the south end and thus travel the same distance through the station regardless of which track their train has terminated on.

Had to go to 179th Street again just to refill my MC because they refuse to fix the ones at Hempstead... got to ride an Orion VII 3G. Really don't like it at all. The ride is quite smooth even though it's low-floor, but I hate that rear seating configuration and the bus just looks cheaply made, moreso than the NGs.

So basically the Q35 still goes to Av H n/b, but you turn the last stop into the first stop as well. Then have the Q35 go left down Nostrand and turn at Av I? If that's what you mean, I can live with that idea as it benefits riders likely on the (5) so they don't have to go around to use the main exit on the (2) platform.

Correct.

Never mind that I'm the lightest sleeper... the only guaranteed way for me to knock out is if I take medicine. And Lord knows I'm not taking that just to sleep.

Say a bus is somehow dead quiet. If someone's phone goes off or if some teen mother's kid starts crying, I'll jolt awake.

about 3 Orion V CNGs on the Q38 today have very loud engine fans. those buses sound nice! wish I could have rode them, but I was too busy at food baazar fighting with the bottle machines. (damn T-53's for those of you who get it).

I found an interesting historical article: http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9902EEDC1E38EE32A25756C2A9609C946195D6CF

And on a side note, I thought I hurt my arm on Thursday. The back door on the S96 closed, and I thought my backpack was stuck, so I jerked my arm backwards to try to stop the door from closing, but it closed and my arm got stuck for a second. Luckily, I pulled it out, and it was sore for a little while after, but it's fine now. B)

Wouldn't the Jersey Street loop line be the S42 or a version thereof?

Sounds like it.

I don't get what the article is saying, though. I guess they started up the 3 routes (Port Richmond-St. George, Port Richmond-Bulls Head, and Jersey Street Loop, which I assume were early versions of the S59, S46, and S42), but because there were already trolley lines along those routes, they had to discontinue them.