Don't worry soon a lot of buses will be retired soon you have

Nova RTS 1995-97

Orion V 5.501 Ex Bee line buse from 1995-96

Orion V 1996 NYCT bus

Orion V 1997 Ex Green Lines buses

Orion V CNG's 1998-99

The 1998-99 New Flyers C40LF's

And some 6000 Orion's whn the LFSA's come in

And probably some other buses that are old or damaged.

Yukon should get more new local buses... All of those old crappy Orions... <_<

They're not THAT bad...with the exception of the 6300s the rest of the fleet is not that great though I'll say that much. If you were to ride the 2008 Orion 5s Bee Line has I reckon you'd like em as they're very well maintained...then again every transit system's fleet is better than ours sad to say.

Edited by LRG

They're not THAT bad...with the exception of the 6300s the rest of the fleet is not that great though I'll say that much. If you were to ride the 2008 Orion 5s Bee Line has I reckon you'd like em as they're very well maintained...then again every transit system's fleet is better than ours sad to say.

Yeah Yukon isn't the greatest with maintenance. Then again no SI depot is. :lol:

I was coming home from brooklyn last night after depositing bottles @ Shop Rite near Av I sta on the (F), I decided to take the (G) home thinking it would cut about 30 minutes off my trip, instead at Bedford Nostrand the train terminated and I had to take a shuttle bus. That only added an hour to my trip, the shuttle bus was extremly crowded and somehow managed to catch every red light on the way. The only good thing was that it was an RTS (which was fast when it wasn't stuck at a red light), and it stopped at Queens Plaza so I could take the (R) straight home. Still would have taken the (F) if only I knew it wasn't going past Bedford-Nostrand.

Also, I saw an LFS on the (G) shuttle, the back sign was scrolling "G-train to Bedford-Nostrand". I didn't know those signs could scroll!

Heavy use and abuse will wear out buses very quickly. But right now, if SI were to get new local buses, I'd take all the displaced O5's and send them to JFK to scrap those O5s. Then whatever's left can be sent to BP and then LGA to retire those ex-BL O5s.

Those diesel Orion Vs are just dead... I did ride one on the Q31 in November and it was actually a decent ride, though the farebox broke and it was raining just like it is now. I just wish there were enough new buses coming in to retire them.

LMAO, Its a good thing that fareboxes are broken. You save $2.25 unless you have an unlimited metrocard.

The S89 came a little bit late, but when it got to Walker Street, I figured it wouldn't be worth waiting for the S96 (It was scheduled to come about 4 minutes later, but because there's a large gap in service, it's often late and overcrowded, so I figured I'd be better off walking).

In any case, the bus came 2 minutes before it was scheduled, and I was surprised because that almost never happens. I mean, with the crowds and everything, B/Os have a hard time coming in on schedule, let alone come early.

So in any case, I was too far ahead to run back for it (I should've walked down Morningstar Road instead of Trantor Place, but I figured there's no point in walking through a more industrial area when I could walk through a residential area). Then I got to school, and there was an S96 that came right on time (and I know it was a different bus because the early one was a 3G and the later one was an O5). Hopefully, they keep this new setup and publish it on the schedule so I know to wait for the right bus. (And I hope it was a new bus and wasn't the earlier bus coming 13 minutes late)

http://ttmg.org/blog...e-transit-game/

Detroit Diesel back In effect...yeah buddy

It's about time. DD50s and 6v/8v92s are legendary stuff, hopefully the current offerings are a fraction of as good. Come to think of it, a Novabus with an Allison tranny and a DD engine, that's not too shabby. Be enough to make the grandparent RTS proud.

Edited by MHV9218

Caught 6321 on the S79 this morning and then rode 6299 after work...both were good rides. On a side note I spotted a Charleston MCI on the X1, 4301. Been a while since I saw a 4300 on a Yukon line.

Edited by LRG

Whats the biggest depot in the system?? I'm thinking its between Gunhill, College Point, and Yukon. I been to GH and CP, but never Yukon. But I've heard that at one point Yukon had over 400 buses...

Those three sound about right, WF has a huge capacity too, and don't forget Castleton. The largest numbers I can find for all of those are about 310 for JG, 320 for GH, 330 for WF, 350 for CP, 350 for CAS, and 390-400 for YUK. Back when SI was only two depots Yukon easily ran 390 buses, and a majority of those were 45-footers.

In terms of the building itself in square footage, my numbers are a little out of date, but Quill is 645,000 sq. ft., Kingsbridge is 426,000 sq. ft., Manhattanville is 340,000 sq. ft, Gun Hill is 292,000 sq. ft., Gleason is 262,000 sq. ft., and the rest is below that. Your place 126 came in at 106,000 sq. ft., and the winner for tiniest (hence all the buses are outdoors) is Stengel at 95,000 sq. ft. (and that's maintenance and transportation combined). WF is only 157,000 sq. ft. in the building, which is why they park outside too.

Speaking of this bus, saw it today and it looks great. Didn't ride it, but it sounded ok from the outside.

Looked good to me too.

Edited by MHV9218

It seems like these C40's are flying in! what is it, 2-3 per day? Its already up to 543, probably even higher. I guess somebody doesn't want to be late! :P

I just realized, I never rode an xcelsior. gotta ride one someday, always seeing them on the Q88.