BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really, you have nothing else productive to say?

Of course not, not when it comes to those buses. B)

But I thought you didn't like the lf buses? :)

Yeah, but these aren't NOVAs. Those 63xxs are those beat up, crappy Orions... <_<

Rode Orion V 6319 on the S61 today. The bus was good, but the B/O could have been WAY faster.

Well yeah he would've if he was on a newer bus... Those 63xxs accelerate terribly IMO.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

You seriously need to get a grip bro...and it's no wonder why many people look down on you so much cuz you always talk out your ass and have something deconstructive to say.

Think before you write or don't bother writing at all.

lol... As if I care about folks "looking down" on me... That's the least of my worries.... Those buses belong in the scrap yard, period.

Look, ok, I'm just waiting for O7 For Life to chomp yo a**, and then this will really be funny. I really don't know if people really look down on you, though. I think of about 2 other members who might be lower on the chain...

Look, ok, I'm just waiting for O7 For Life to chomp yo a**, and then this will really be funny. I really don't know if people really look down on you, though. I think of about 2 other members who might be lower on the chain...

I'm only referring to the older Orions, not the newer ones... As for folks "looking down on me" :lol:, well I just think that's hilarious. Besides, if I spent my life worrying about how people viewed me I'd be in deep sh*t. :lol:

Maybe it's about time you take a good look in the mirror then.

Just like those buses belong in a scrapyard "as you claim", I won't be surprised if one day you find yourself buried in a graveyard.

Edited by LRG

Well...steering away from further drivel, rode 6281 on the S93 Limited this afternoon back to Brooklyn. Great ride as usual.

Over the next few days I have to work on my class project transit-related. Probably gonna chill at Yukon and get some bus action outside the garage.

All 4 stupid S44 trippers bypassed the second stop by my school, and the last one was completely empty (Literally, not one person on it). :angry:

In any case, it's been a while since I took the S46 directly home from school. Of course, people can't figure out how to read a sign: It said "Teleport" and people were asking if it went to the West Shore Plaza. When I got off, I think the guy who got on and asked had already dipped his MetroCard, but I didn't pay attention to what happened afterwards.

Did you try to get their attention to pick you up or did they just drive past your stop without even seeing you?

No, I stuck my hand out and waved it, and they just kept on going (and aside from that, there were a bunch of other students at the stop). I think I should've been more aggressive and stepped into the street (the bus like crawled past. Sometimes I'll already be on the bus, and they drive by slowly and suddenly decide to stop, so maybe that would've worked).

Eh, like I said, I haven't taken the S46 home in a while, so it's no big deal.

No, I stuck my hand out and waved it, and they just kept on going (and aside from that, there were a bunch of other students at the stop). I think I should've been more aggressive and stepped into the street (the bus like crawled past. Sometimes I'll already be on the bus, and they drive by slowly and suddenly decide to stop, so maybe that would've worked).

Eh, like I said, I haven't taken the S46 home in a while, so it's no big deal.

No you shouldn't have. It just may be possible that the road conditions didn't allow him to stop safely or was instructed to bypass the stop by supervision....NEVER step on to the street when there is a bus approaching....39,500lbs (or 66,000lbs if it's an Artic) vs you is not a pretty battle....then you guys wanna cry lawsuit if you get hit ...smh

Edited by youngblaze

No you shouldn't have. It just may be possible that the road conditions didn't allow him to stop safely or was instructed to bypass the stop by supervision....NEVER step on to the street when there is a bus approaching....39,500lbs (or 66,000lbs if it's an Artic) vs you is not a pretty battle....then you guys wanna cry lawsuit if you get hit ...smh

I had an incident last Saturday night waiting for the BxM2. About 5 or 6 of us were waiting at 46th & 6th and there was some sort of crew there repairing something or working on something. The bus was late because of some incident in the 40s (we could see sirens from where we were) and we were all thinking to hop in a yellow taxi and head up to 63rd street & Broadway where we would be sure to catch it in case it was on a detour. Anywho we couldn't find any info online or over the phone so we decided to wait a bit and then we saw some QM express buses coming from various directions. Once I saw those, I told the others it would be a good idea to wait because usually those buses come before the BxM2 does. Just when all of us had given up hope I saw a BxM2 turn off of 45th street and onto 6th Ave. He was in the furthest lane though at the light and I feared he would bypass us after having waited over 30 minutes which would've been a real slap in the face. The next one was due in about half an hour and I was tired, so I stepped out and waived like crazy because I refused to be bypassed. He saw me and then pulled over and stopped luckily.

With the Riverdale express bus drivers out of Yonkers, they are very strict about stopping at the bus stops, so if they bypass you, they may not stop at all. If they do, some of them are cranky because they're concerned about being seen picking up passengers outside of a bus stop. Meanwhile the SI express bus drivers are a bit more laid back and maybe understanding because they know the commute is long and the buses can screw up a lot. In my case though I'm still getting familiar with all of the B/Os out of Yonkers, but I'm getting used to the faces though and vice versa. With the SI drivers most of them knew me or have seen me so I could count the times that I was bypassed even if the bus was on detour. With the SI drivers though, some of them don't know the stops and I've witnessed plenty of them just blow right past stops, so I suspect that was a reason or as you said, they were all instructed to bypass the stop. In any event, the other reason why they're so strict out of Yonkers is because I get the feeling that they follow everything by the book and there's more supervision perhaps because they know folks in Riverdale will make a big stink (lol), whereas on SI folks usually just complain, but do nothing in terms of writing in, and there seems to be less supervision. Also seems to be a lot of new guys out of Yonkers for some reason.

How is it at Kingsbridge? I notice that when I'm waiting for the express bus, I'll see the Bx7 or Bx10 pull into the stop and they'll wait a bit to make sure that they don't leave early or leave anybody behind.

He was going by at like 2 miles an hour. It's very possible for him to stop. And aside from that, it's not like I would've stepped all the way into the street. Just step off the sidewalk and into the street. In case the bus driver tried anything crazy (which they're not going to do at 2 mph), all I'd hve to do is jump back onto the sidewalk.

As for bypassing the stop, they just do whatever they feel like. I know because there are dispatchers at the first stop by the school almost every single day, and sometimes they stop at the stop, and sometimes they don't. It's usually the same drivers every day, and sometimes they stop, and sometimes they don't. It's just that 99% of the time, out of the 4 buses, one of them will stop at the second stop.

And besides, I've seen it done before, where people step into the street. It's just that I didn't want to.

He was going by at like 2 miles an hour. It's very possible for him to stop. And aside from that, it's not like I would've stepped all the way into the street. Just step off the sidewalk and into the street. In case the bus driver tried anything crazy (which they're not going to do at 2 mph), all I'd hve to do is jump back onto the sidewalk.

As for bypassing the stop, they just do whatever they feel like. I know because there are dispatchers at the first stop by the school almost every single day, and sometimes they stop at the stop, and sometimes they don't. It's usually the same drivers every day, and sometimes they stop, and sometimes they don't. It's just that 99% of the time, out of the 4 buses, one of them will stop at the second stop.

And besides, I've seen it done before, where people step into the street. It's just that I didn't want to.

If you know that they do that then why not go to the first stop?? With those trippers, they do what they want anyway since they're all students and I guess they figure none of them will make a stink. I never used them when I was in high school because they were just wild, but there seemed to be no real rhyme or reason. I will say this though... I find the dispatchers out of SI to be pretty useless. You'd think that service would be better when they're around, but it is actually worse. <_<

If you know that they do that then why not go to the first stop?? With those trippers, they do what they want anyway since they're all students and I guess they figure none of them will make a stink. I never used them when I was in high school because they were just wild, but there seemed to be no real rhyme or reason. I will say this though... I find the dispatchers out of SI to be pretty useless. You'd think that service would be better when they're around, but it is actually worse. <_<

Because I couldn't make it to the stop in time because I had to talk to some teachers, and aside from that, I'm no longer capable of running around like I used to (no need to go into detail), or else yeah, I would've ran like hell to the first stop to see if I could catch a bus.

In any case, they're faster than walking over to the regular S44 (or taking the S46 and then walking a longer distance at the other end), so I deal with it. They generally aren't too wild. You just have to zone out (while still paying attention in case something really crazy happens)

But in any case, I was just pointing out that it is highly unlikely that all 4 drivers were ordered to flag that stop, because there was nothing dfferent from a regular day.

Because I couldn't make it to the stop in time because I had to talk to some teachers, and aside from that, I'm no longer capable of running around like I used to (no need to go into detail), or else yeah, I would've ran like hell to the first stop to see if I could catch a bus.

In any case, they're faster than walking over to the regular S44 (or taking the S46 and then walking a longer distance at the other end), so I deal with it. They generally aren't too wild. You just have to zone out (while still paying attention in case something really crazy happens)

But in any case, I was just pointing out that it is highly unlikely that all 4 drivers were ordered to flag that stop, because there was nothing dfferent from a regular day.

Yeah I was talking in general terms. This may be the first time that all of them passed by but it isn't the first time that some of them have bypassed the stop apparently from what you wrote. Now that I made a stink about that BxM18 stop and the guy who waits with me talked to some folks, there is this one chick on the bus that I take telling the B/Os where to stop if they've never done the run before, so that's good. Clearly the word got out after I made such a stink because I've seen her usually when I'm going to the city late at night or whatever, but now she's been on the BxM18 regularly almost every day, unless they already know the run. B) She did mention that the run sheet has been like that for a while though.

I had an incident last Saturday night waiting for the BxM2. About 5 or 6 of us were waiting at 46th & 6th and there was some sort of crew there repairing something or working on something. The bus was late because of some incident in the 40s (we could see sirens from where we were) and we were all thinking to hop in a yellow taxi and head up to 63rd street & Broadway where we would be sure to catch it in case it was on a detour. Anywho we couldn't find any info online or over the phone so we decided to wait a bit and then we saw some QM express buses coming from various directions. Once I saw those, I told the others it would be a good idea to wait because usually those buses come before the BxM2 does. Just when all of us had given up hope I saw a BxM2 turn off of 45th street and onto 6th Ave. He was in the furthest lane though at the light and I feared he would bypass us after having waited over 30 minutes which would've been a real slap in the face. The next one was due in about half an hour and I was tired, so I stepped out and waived like crazy because I refused to be bypassed. He saw me and then pulled over and stopped luckily.

With the Riverdale express bus drivers out of Yonkers, they are very strict about stopping at the bus stops, so if they bypass you, they may not stop at all. If they do, some of them are cranky because they're concerned about being seen picking up passengers outside of a bus stop. Meanwhile the SI express bus drivers are a bit more laid back and maybe understanding because they know the commute is long and the buses can screw up a lot. In my case though I'm still getting familiar with all of the B/Os out of Yonkers, but I'm getting used to the faces though and vice versa. With the SI drivers most of them knew me or have seen me so I could count the times that I was bypassed even if the bus was on detour. With the SI drivers though, some of them don't know the stops and I've witnessed plenty of them just blow right past stops, so I suspect that was a reason or as you said, they were all instructed to bypass the stop. In any event, the other reason why they're so strict out of Yonkers is because I get the feeling that they follow everything by the book and there's more supervision perhaps because they know folks in Riverdale will make a big stink (lol), whereas on SI folks usually just complain, but do nothing in terms of writing in, and there seems to be less supervision. Also seems to be a lot of new guys out of Yonkers for some reason.

How is it at Kingsbridge? I notice that when I'm waiting for the express bus, I'll see the Bx7 or Bx10 pull into the stop and they'll wait a bit to make sure that they don't leave early or leave anybody behind.

Kingsbridge is cool I've done the 7 and 10 on two separate occasions and they give you a lot of time so usually I would find myself waiting at 231st and Broadway for a train to pull in to load up and go up the hill (I was shocked that the back door was wide open and not a soul walked in the bus to beat fare...plus they all step up the steps on the NG without being told lmao). But of course not all of us do that as you've got some runners who leave all the work for the rookies but in my eyes it doesn't matter much I'm being paid to drive from point A to point B so all I worry about is the myself, the passengers and bus. If you worry about what everyone else is doing you'd go crazy lol

Edited by youngblaze

No, Tuskegee, that's not okay.

IMG_0633.jpg

If I can see a layer of soot and filth that black, that's an issue. This was on 5560 which, I'll be honest, is absolutely in pathetic shape. The bus had no power and almost got stuck on the hill over 104th on Lex, ended up crawling over at full throttle at 3mph. The thing was the filthiest bus I've ever seen -- and I'm usually okay with dirt, but that stuff in that pic is not okay. And it stank, of vomit and urine, and it made the most horrible groaning and moaning noises on every gear change. I've always thought TU maintenance was slacking, this kinda thing is why.

Edited by MHV9218