BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I went to the Transit Museum last week and saw interesting bus patterns portrayed on the 1967 Bronx Bus map.

*No buses went around Co-op City, the Bx26/28 at that time terminated at Edson Av.

*The Bx17 traveled at 187 St to and from Fordham Plaza instead of Fordham Rd.

*The Bx18 used to terminate near the McDonalds at Claremont Pkwy/Webster.

*The Bx40 terminated at Bruckner Bl/Balcom Av.

*There were Bx6/A/B/C buses from Westchester Sq to Throgs Neck, Edgewater Pk, Locust Point, or Ft Schuyler.

*The M100's northern terminal was W. 239 St/Riverdale.

*The Bx16 traveled at Webster Av between 238 St and Gun Hill Rd.

That's all I can remember.

The Co-Op City thing was probably the NIMBY's who used to live there.

The M100 and the Bx7 were once one route.

The Bx40 was the original Tremont Avenue route, and I think there was no terminating in the towers back then.

Other stuff, got nothin'.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTF ... that sh!t is stupid lol

Well it is a trade off. People uses the machines, enters via any door and speeds up loading time. This vs you waiting on line while someone either has a low balance on their card or they have a read error message. Frankly, I think SBS is a good thing - provided there are active inspections to weed out fare beaters.

Sounds like you were punching it ... repeatedly. You know how many of those old New Flyers do that now. B/O's litterally stomp on the pedal just so it can do nothing lol

Punching it still didn't do much. I sat there with a depressed look on my face because it was the reason I was running behind.

Have you gotten 9594 yet? I last saw it in the repair bay, so not sure if they solved the problem with that bus.

No, and I make sure I don't get it.

I got an Ex-UP bus today, #9396 - that bus runs like a mothafucca.

Have you had 9081 yet? That thing is a beast!

Yep. I've had 9080, 81 & 82 -- all 3 have got to be the best out of the '96 series I've driven.

9082 overheated on me a couple of months ago on the B44 cause I ran pushing that shit too hard. lmao! Check engine light, and a bunch of other shit came up on the telltale panel. I got it down to the Willy B, let it rest for 5-6 minutes and she was moving hard again.

You guys wanna talk slow buses?! Man?! One day I was assigned 856 to do my 2nd half on the B35. I swear, everytime I hit the gas, my head started pounding. That bus had absolutely NO power!!! Then there was 976. The damn thing pops everytime you hit the gas, another one with no power.

Then there's 907......UGH!!! I wanted to drive the damn thing into the river somewhere!!!!

You guys wanna talk slow buses?! Man?! One day I was assigned 856 to do my 2nd half on the B35. I swear, everytime I hit the gas, my head started pounding. That bus had absolutely NO power!!! Then there was 976. The damn thing pops everytime you hit the gas, another one with no power.

Then there's 907......UGH!!! I wanted to drive the damn thing into the river somewhere!!!!

That shit was funny when I was with you guys on 856!!

But it wasn't worse than 5173 though. I should've wrote it up on the OVCR card, but was too eager to get the hell out of the bus after pulling in.

@Acela: Lol, you animal :) "Push it to the limits" But yeah, those older RTSs are great, I don't mind them staying longer till it comes time to retire them. I'd rather have those over some of those 9500s.

Call me whatever, but I try to see what these buses can do! 9082 just happened to be another victim of mine.

Anyone else get scared when whipping a hybrid around a corner at 25mph??? I never noticed how top heavy they are until yesterday. I always though that the lower center of gravity compensated for the extra 2000lbs on the roof. i guess it doesn't completely...those buses need sway bars

The CNG powered ones are the C40s.

The D60s are the old Artic buses in the fleet and use Diesel fuel.

Ohh ok so C40 it is !! Those things lag !!

I Like the new fleet those things are rad . It's like the C40 just fresher lol. Anyone did a run on the new NEW Flyers yet ??