BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

The Liberty Lines website does mention the use of South Yonkers (when it ran all the services, but also includes the Bronx as well)

http://web.archive.org/web/20040602235538/http://www.libertylines.com/express.htm

The So. Yonkers disappears here

http://www.libertylines.com/express.htm

The BxM3 to the City Line only, and how it wouldn't have enough ridership, really depends the time of day, and the day of week. And if that wiki link (even though I don't bother with wiki links; I'd prefer to get things straight from the horse's mouth) is accurate enough, look at how LLE got it's routes; from other private operators. LLE primarly operated service for Bronx residents, and they've always had the BxM3 run service from South Yonkers, but that wasn't it's primary intended market (because seriously, City of Yonkers isn't enough for a successful service, much less if you have Metro North on the other side of the city). LLE has provided most of it's service for Bronx residents (LLE used to have a BxM3 pickup on 125 Street in Harlem. They really didn't care where the ridership came (well, they depended on the Bronx communities more than anything), as long as people were using their buses, and they had much more frequent service on the line too). 

To me, the way I see it, LLE acquired the routes, but in a way was trying to compete with MNRR service in these neighborhoods, because almost all the express bus lines (except the BxM11), ran near a MNRR service. The BxM4C managed to have a whole busload (no pun intended) of service mainly because of that reason, until Westchester stripped service down to the bare bones. The difference is the ridership on the BxM1-4 and 11.

To sum it all up, the service is most dependent on Bronx residents, and the headways resemble that type of service (making it attractive to these residents). If the BxM3 didn't serve Riverdale at all, the MTA would not run any super express service at all, and just have all buses run the full route. BxM3 ridership is also reliant on Kingsbridge, because they need both Riverdale and Kingsbridge communities to have sufficient ridership to continue running the service. I wouldn't say yonkers is an afterthought, but it doesn't really make or break the ridership on the BxM3 (at least during peak hours, where you can get away with it, off peak hours really, you're trying to get as many riders as possible), and since the BxM3 has fair loads on weekends, it shouldn't so much of a problem. They run it since the depot is nearby, and it is the fastest way and more cost-effective way to Manhattan (the BxM1-2 spend all their time in la-la land, and the BxM4 running it would be time-consuming, nevertheless the 4C runs in that area) and the extra ridership would be nice (especially weekends). 

Nobody ever argued who primarily uses the BxM3, so I don't know why you keep bringing that up.  That still has nothing to do with the purpose of the route when it was created some 50 years ago and who it was marketed for.  As I said before, those lines were created with large input from the communities that they served since they were small private bus companies that in many cases the communities themselves started.  There are quite a few bus lines that were created for a specific market that isn't necessarily served anymore due to the change of those communities.  That is something that can't be dismissed.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are we fighting over this, holy shit!

It's a NYC subsidized line...

We are not fighting over anything.  We're having a discussion, but thanks for stating the obvious. 

Fun fact, Liberty Lines also had service between Lower Manhattan/Midtown and the Upper East Side. There were also a lot more route variations than we had during the takeover.

Makes sense.  They were clearly looking to serve various markets.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I know CS originally started off with about 21 1999 Orion V's. When did they start getting more 1999 Orion? I know Queens village had a few Orion V's back in the early 2000's even though they were quite rare to catch but did Jamaica ever have any Orion V's. Quite interesting how Brooklyn managed to get Orion V's shortly before they retire. Reminds me of when the Bronx got a few 1999 C40LF's before they retired.

Interesting how they wrapped 5822 in SBS livery.

I never understand how they transferred or picked the Nova #5800s to the point they are scattered around the way they have now.Some are local, while some are SBS. Total Chaos WTF MTA. 

Maybe there is a method to their madness. we just can't see it.

Edited by B22viaAtlanticAv

The main reason why the SBS buses were swapped was because the 1200s in the Bronx looked and ran like crap.

Many of the 1200s in both the Bronx and Manhattan have had some work done on them recently, and while the ones on the M15 have not been swapped out, the ones on the Bx12 have. That's why when you take a look at the Bx12 SBS you'll see something along the lines of the following sequence: 1216, 5307, 5322, 5798, 1209, 5807, 5314, 1219, and the occasional 4769.

The main reason why the SBS buses were swapped was because the 1200s in the Bronx looked and ran like crap.

Many of the 1200s in both the Bronx and Manhattan have had some work done on them recently, and while the ones on the M15 have not been swapped out, the ones on the Bx12 have. That's why when you take a look at the Bx12 SBS you'll see something along the lines of the following sequence: 1216, 5307, 5322, 5798, 1209, 5807, 5314, 1219, and the occasional 4769.

Nope, mileage + 4 year upgrades. At the time the LFSAs were getting unwrapped and taken off of SBS, they were getting their 4 year upgrades, and with the way Gun Hill gets short on artics for the SBS, they wrapped up the other buses to make service. They also have pretty high mileage already, so they have them running on other routes(outside of the Bx12 local) that would put less miles on those buses.

I know CS originally started off with about 21 1999 Orion V's. When did they start getting more 1999 Orion? I know Queens village had a few Orion V's back in the early 2000's even though they were quite rare to catch but did Jamaica ever have any Orion V's. Quite interesting how Brooklyn managed to get Orion V's shortly before they retire. Reminds me of when the Bronx got a few 1999 C40LF's before they retired.

Jamaica never had Orion 5's.

Does anyone else think the Bx34 should run out of KB. It's closer to Kingsbridge than Gun Hill by far.

same with the Bx32. It should run out of KB and not WF

Wow, haven't had these kinds of discussions in like forever. Anyway, the 32 should have went back to Kingsbridge as soon as the NG's came in. The Bx34, I'm on the fence about that one. What about the 8 and 31 going to Gun Hill?

Wow, haven't had these kinds of discussions in like forever. Anyway, the 32 should have went back to Kingsbridge as soon as the NG's came in. The Bx34, I'm on the fence about that one. What about the 8 and 31 going to Gun Hill?

31 should definitely go back to Gun Hill, maybe the 8 too.  And the 32 should have stayed at Kingsbridge regardless of the NG's or not

here are the routes that should be at Kingsbridge IMO

Bx1

Bx2

Bx3

Bx7

Bx9

Bx10

Bx13

Bx15

Bx18

Bx20

Bx32

Bx34

Bx41

Edited by BxM4Woodlawn

31 should definitely go back to Gun Hill, maybe the 8 too. And the 32 should have stayed at Kingsbridge regardless of the NG's or not

Bx1

Bx2

Bx3

Bx7

Bx9

Bx10

Bx13

Bx15

Bx18

Bx20

Bx32

Bx34

Bx41

I have to say I agree with you. I'm not 100% where the M100 could go (most likely MCH or MV) but The Bx15 should go to KB and leave WF to deal with one artic route, along with the Bx32 for the reason we already pointed out.

On a different note, I think I found out the next SBS routes: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/26455-subway-random-thoughts-topic/page-849?do=findComment&comment=816075

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Jamaica never had Orion Vs. They've always been an RTS depot with some MCIs until the route swaps.

I thought back in the early 2000's they had about three Orion's sitting in the depot not being used so they went to another depot.

I remember QV having a few because I remember seeing one on the Q88 all the time.

I thought back in the early 2000's they had about three Orion's sitting in the depot not being used so they went to another depot.

I remember QV having a few because I remember seeing one on the Q88 all the time.

No. Jamaica never had O5's at any time. Would have been nice to see an O5 down Merrick Blvd though...

31 should definitely go back to Gun Hill, maybe the 8 too.  And the 32 should have stayed at Kingsbridge regardless of the NG's or not

Bx1

Bx2

Bx3

Bx7

Bx9

Bx10

Bx13

Bx15

Bx18

Bx20

Bx32

Bx34

Bx41

I could only imagine your GH and WF lists. Where do you have the M100 at?

I have to say I agree with you. I'm not 100% where the M100 could go (most likely MCH or MV) but The Bx15 should go to KB and leave WF to deal with one artic route, along with the Bx32 for the reason we already pointed out.

On a different note, I think I found out the next SBS routes: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/26455-subway-random-thoughts-topic/page-849?do=findComment&comment=816075

I thought the Q52/53 were in next in line...So TU will have its first SBS route and Flatbush will have its second

I could only imagine your GH and WF lists. Where do you have the M100 at?

I thought the Q52/53 were in next in line...So TU will have its first SBS route and Flatbush will have its second

They still trying to figure out how they are gonna redesign Woodhaven Blvd.