BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also cut out the 55th St and 44th St stops on the BxM18. Have it express straight down to 35th St

How about no... Having the BxM18 make stops on 44th and 56th allows both BxM1 AND BxM2 riders to take advantage of the super express service.  It also provides quicker service for people below Central Riverdale, down in Spuyten Duyvil who work in Midtown near the stops mentioned.  Previously, they had no real super express service (save the BxM1's that skip Inwood) since the BxM1 and BxM2 super expresses bypass Spuyten Duyvil entirely.  Being in Central Riverdale and working in Midtown, I personally can use the BxM1, BxM2 or BxM18 though the walk from the BxM2 is generally longer, but the BxM18 runs right up Madison making it very quick at night.  Shaves 30 minutes off of the commute from Midtown in comparison to the BxM1 and BxM2.  I must admit that the Super Express BxM1's at night that skip Inwood are also very quick as well.  

I actually have access to all of the Super Express service, hence why I would be reluctant to move down in Spuyten Duyvil.  It makes sense to be anywhere near 236th up to 246th to have access to all of the amenities in the area (i.e. shopping, transportation, etc.), though the area is the most expensive outside of Fieldston and parts of Spuyten Duyvil with the views along Palisade Av or areas by Independence Av or Hudson Manor Terrace.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

How about no... Having the BxM18 make stops on 44th and 56th allows both BxM1 AND BxM2 riders to take advantage of the super express service.  It also provides quicker service for people below Central Riverdale, down in Spuyten Duyvil who work in Midtown near the stops mentioned.  Previously, they had no real super express service (save the BxM1's that skip Inwood) since the BxM1 and BxM2 super expresses bypass Spuyten Duyvil entirely.  Being in Central Riverdale and working in Midtown, I personally can use the BxM1, BxM2 or BxM18 though the walk from the BxM2 is generally longer, but the BxM18 runs right up Madison making it very quick at night.  Shaves 30 minutes off of the commute from Midtown in comparison to the BxM1 and BxM2.  I must admit that the Super Express BxM1's at night that skip Inwood are also very quick as well.  

I actually have access to all of the Super Express service, hence why I would be reluctant to move down in Spuyten Duyvil.  It makes sense to be anywhere near 236th up to 246th to have access to all of the amenities in the area (i.e. shopping, transportation, etc.), though the area is the most expensive outside of Fieldston and parts of Spuyten Duyvil with the views along Palisade Av or areas by Independence Av or Hudson Manor Terrace.

That's really not the main reason for it making those stops, however.

That's really not the main reason for it making those stops, however.

The main reason that the BxM18 makes the stops at 44th and 56th is because the stops below that were very popular, so they expanded the service by adding those two stops.  The point that I made about the BxM1 and BxM2 still stands though because I see many riders that use both the BxM1 and BxM2 on the BxM18, so it affords more people from all of Riverdale with a faster commute, as opposed to having those Super Express buses solely on the BxM1 at those in Central Riverdale and North Riverdale benefiting. 

The main reason that the BxM18 makes the stops at 44th and 56th is because the stops below that were very popular, so they expanded the service by adding those two stops. The point that I made about the BxM1 and BxM2 still stands though because I see many riders that use both the BxM1 and BxM2 on the BxM18, so it affords more people from all of Riverdale with a faster commute, as opposed to having those Super Express buses solely on the BxM1 at those in Central Riverdale and North Riverdale benefiting.

The main reason was really to give riders access to a Downtown bus (of those who dont have one) (at least the 56 and the stop in the 20's). What you said is true, but the addition of those stops were more for the Queens and other Bronx Express bus riders to transfer.

The main reason was really to give riders access to a Downtown bus (of those who dont have one) (at least the 56 and the stop in the 20's). What you said is true, but the addition of those stops were more for the Queens and other Bronx Express bus riders to transfer.

The bus is primarily used for and by Riverdalians.  There is was no reason to the stops for transfer points when the bus already had transfer points prior to those stops being added, and that applies for all riders who don't have a Downtown express bus, so the reason I gave for those two stops being added is the main reason, not because of transfer points.  I ride the bus regularly, and it's quite rare that anybody transfers at 44th or 56th Northbound.  Most transferring is still done at the original transfer points that the bus had.  However, there are a TON of Riverdalians who get off at 56th and 43rd heading Southbound in the morning.

The bus is primarily used for and by Riverdalians.  There is was no reason to the stops for transfer points when the bus already had transfer points prior to those stops being added, and that applies for all riders who don't have a Downtown express bus, so the reason I gave for those two stops being added is the main reason, not because of transfer points.  I ride the bus regularly, and it's quite rare that anybody transfers at 44th or 56th Northbound.  Most transferring is still done at the original transfer points that the bus had.  However, there are a TON of Riverdalians who get off at 56th and 43rd heading Southbound in the morning.

Not doubting you at all, but the way it was added, it was like staying on the 18 until Madison/56 is much faster than getting off at 29. Therefore, they just added another stop on 5th Avenue to make it "in unison". I don't believe it was the MTA's original intention (although it is a good super express alternative).

Not doubting you at all, but the way it was added, it was like staying on the 18 until Madison/56 is much faster than getting off at 29. Therefore, they just added another stop on 5th Avenue to make it "in unison". I don't believe it was the MTA's original intention (although it is a good super express alternative).

All they did was move those super expresses from the BxM1... What the BxM18 does is what the BxM1 super expresses used to do via Riverdale Avenue.  They bypassed Spuyten Duyvil, then went down the hill, made the last two stops, then did not stop until 56th and Lex.