BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5324 is on the M15 SBS now, if BusTime is a credible source. Heading south toward 28th as I type.

Did that bus come from the Bronx or Brooklyn?

5324 came from Flatbush to Clara Hale a few weeks ago. 5323 from Gun Hill, 5784 from KB & 5822-5824 from Tuskegee Airmen moved there as well.

5324 came from Flatbush to Clara Hale a few weeks ago. 5323 from Gun Hill, 5784 from KB & 5822-5824 from Tuskegee Airmen moved there as well.

Wait, Mother Clara Hale Depot has artics? Interesting...

---

Random though... Was on the BxM18 last night heading home and we passed 126th street depot as we made our way to the Harlem River Drive... Are they going to demolish that depot and if so when?  Are they building a new depot anytime soon to replace it and if the depot is closed, why were so many lights on inside of the building?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Wait, Mother Clara Hale Depot has artics? Interesting...

---

Random though... Was on the BxM18 last night heading home and we passed 126th street depot as we made our way to the Harlem River Drive... Are they going to demolish that depot and if so when?  Are they building a new depot anytime soon to replace it and if the depot is closed, why were so many lights on inside of the building?

Yes...where was the M15 SBS gonna go?

Not sure if this has been asked before, but what is the purpose of routes like the M50? It seems a duplicate of the M42 and the difference is a few blocks which can take one a mere few minutes. Is it to make more money for the (MTA) ?

They are not that close together compared the M66 and M72. The M42 and M50 serve different purposes. The M42 is a tourist route and the M50 serves 50th Ave and the stores and stuff over there.

Not sure if this has been asked before, but what is the purpose of routes like the M50? It seems a duplicate of the M42 and the difference is a few blocks which can take one a mere few minutes. Is it to make more money for the  (MTA) ?

I guess 8 blocks is not much of a difference to you? The 42 and 50 did share a terminal at the UN until 2011 when the M50 was cut back to 1 Av to regain weekend service. 

They are not that close together compared the M66 and M72. The M42 and M50 serve different purposes. The M42 is a tourist route and the M50 serves 50th Ave and the stores and stuff over there.

I always wondered why does the M66 run on 67th/68th Sts. on the east side instead of 65th/66th?

Snow chains coming on tomorrow, I suppose.

Question for any bus operators on here: do the snow chains really make a difference? I was on an RTS last winter during one of the heavy snow periods (guess they didn't put on the chains in time for that one), with a ton of snow already down and it was fine. The bus didn't skid off the road, flip and explode into flames.

Snow chains coming on tomorrow, I suppose.

Question for any bus operators on here: do the snow chains really make a difference? I was on an RTS last winter during one of the heavy snow periods (guess they didn't put on the chains in time for that one), with a ton of snow already down and it was fine. The bus didn't skid off the road, flip and explode into flames.

They switched to all season tires on most buses. Those chains don't really do much since they arent real chains...more like coils held together, but they have a habit of either popping off or ripping the wheel well apart

Very curious to see how TU will handle the snowstorm. Given that the depot is entirely artics, and we'll likely see all artics taken off the roads, we're gonna have some interesting buses on the 15 and 101/2/3.

I can see MCH & Quill doing some put ins, question is how much can they put in? Last year there was days when 126 couldn't put out that many artics at all and the local M15 was nearly all RTS & hybrid with a sh*tload of missing SBSes.