BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if a driver just didn't get the memo or something, but there's a Q4 (LIMITED) on bustime right now. Oddly enough, the only Q4 on the route too.

You can't automatically assume that it's a limited just because BusTime says that.  BusTime is not always accurate. I've see BxM1's with the correct signage (BxM1 via INWOOD via LEX), only to come up on BusTime as a "BxM1 via LEX AV" bus, as if it was a Super Express bus and vice versa.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

* How come all the express routes ran today except the BM1-5?

Also, buses are scrambled in Staten Island

(ex.2915 on the X5, 2745 on the X17)

QM15, QM20, and the Weekday PM's didn't run either, Sunday Schedule today, except SI, which is appearently running a reduced weekday schedule (for what reason, I don't understand).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

QM20 service started about an hour ago; first bus of the day to midtown departed Bay Terrace a while ago, and there's one going to Bay Terrace now (doesn't make sense, but whatever).

Now there's multiple Q4 and Q5 LTD's on bustime.

I just saw the bus improvement docs just now 

I am surprised the X27/X8 was cut back can anyone elaborate why was this done?

It seemed like the routes were doing well when i rode them 

It'll be cut down in April.

The reasoning for this is, the loads have gone down, so they need to adjust it so the frequencies better suit demand (i.e more riders per bus; there's no way the MTA is gonna 67% full buses during the PM peak run, especially if the headway is above 10 minutes (if it's 30 minutes or more, you'll see they won't adjust it at all, until there's justification to cut one ENTIRE trip out). 

I just saw the bus improvement docs just now 

I am surprised the X27/X8 was cut back can anyone elaborate why was this done?

It seemed like the routes were doing well when i rode them 

I wouldn't worry... It's a normal practice, esp. for NYCT express buses. A cut here and that cut is used to provide service elsewhere...

4 B43's arriving at Box st with 5 mins of each other....

1 goes OOS (I'm guessing this bus DH'd back to the depot).... After a 5 min wait or so, 2 buses arrive at the Freeman stop... one bus picked up all 5 of us waiting, and the other bus just went ahead.... I doubt this was a leader-follower situation, but from all the way to Greenpoint (the neighborhood) to Empire/Brooklyn (where I got off), both buses were passing each other back & forth....

That's not the worst of it though... While along Manhattan av, I counted 5 buses heading up towards Box (fittingly, only 2 Queens bound 62's, both were right behind each other, one with 2 people on it (lol) & the other was crowded (no surprise there).... But yeah, don't know what was goin on with the 43 tonight...

I have to say, the B6 sure shits the bed when there's snow. Of all the routes I've ever had to use, the B6 is the only one where service deteriorates to such an extremely bad level when it snows. Obviously, bad weather causes problems everywhere, but it's almost impossibly bad on the B6.

I have to say, the B6 sure shits the bed when there's snow. Of all the routes I've ever had to use, the B6 is the only one where service deteriorates to such an extremely bad level when it snows. Obviously, bad weather causes problems everywhere, but it's almost impossibly bad on the B6.

The B6 is out of UP so it should be no surprise. Some depots seem to become anemic when there is snow... Too many B/O's living in the sticks so they can't get in.

Is the B46 officially getting SBS? I can't think of any other reason there would be something covered over under where the (3) is on the new stripmaps popping up on the (4). I know the M86 is getting SBS and I'm sure that's whats covered over underneath the (5) and (6).

Is it an orange signed colored D60HF?

Bustime says it's 5623. Oh man, those poor folks on 1st/2nd Avenue thinking its a local M15 :lol: ...

Is the B46 officially getting SBS? I can't think of any other reason there would be something covered over under where the (3) is on the new stripmaps popping up on the (4). I know the M86 is getting SBS and I'm sure that's whats covered over underneath the (5) and (6).

There was a SBS workshop on the Utica Avenue corridor towards the end of last year. With that being the first workshop I saw, I expect the B46 to have SBS on November of this year (the earliest). Edited by MysteriousBtrain

There is a D60HF from Tuskegee from the M15 SBS and a Nova LFSA from MCH on the M15 Local..

Bustime says it's 5623. Oh man, those poor folks on 1st/2nd Avenue thinking its a local M15 :lol: ...

Bugs. It's been happening for a while now. They're not actually on the SBS.