BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh really? I figured it was just last-min dispatching, cause every day there's been a D60 or two on the SBS according to BusTime.

A few minutes after it was said that they were on it, they disappeared from SBS and showed up on the local. It's been happening since the pick started.

Edited by Cait Sith

Random Thoughts and Musings on the x17:

1) I have recently noticed that some x17 operators are using the Staten Island-bound Bay Ridge code during the weekdays. Seldom do I see the Bay Ridge destination sign used on the weekends.

2) This answers my question as to why the x1 was merged with the x17/x19 stop at Broadway and Barclay in Lower Manhattan. This monstrosity looks like it is from the 1970's, is unnecessarily clunky and I wonder if it doubles as a missile silo. A bus shelter with LCD panel could have been installed and could have been used to display information on delays/detours, next departure etc., maybe an advertisement thus bringing us into the 21st Century. Instead, this:

ig9po5.jpg

Edited by 161passenger

1) I have recently noticed that some x17 operators are using the Staten Island-bound Bay Ridge code during the weekdays. Seldom do I see the Bay Ridge destination sign used on the weekends.

2) This answers my question as to why the x1 was merged with the x17/x19 stop at Broadway and Barclay in Lower Manhattan. This monstrosity looks like it is from the 1970's, is unnecessarily clunky and I wonder if it doubles as a missile silo. An LCD panel could have been installed and could have been used to display information on delays/detours, next departure etc., maybe an advertisement thus bringing us into the 21st Century. Instead, this:

ig9po5.jpg

That's a real sign at a stop in Manhattan?

Why is stuff like this always in Manhattan. I wish Queens had many interesting sightings.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

2) This answers my question as to why the x1 was merged with the x17/x19 stop at Broadway and Barclay in Lower Manhattan. This monstrosity looks like it is from the 1970's, is unnecessarily clunky and I wonder if it doubles as a missile silo. A bus shelter with LCD panel could have been installed and could have been used to display information on delays/detours, next departure etc., maybe an advertisement thus bringing us into the 21st Century. Instead, this:

ig9po5.jpg

I liked your idea over these poles

A waste of funds if you ask me.

ig9po5.jpg

Those countdown stops are insanely expensive and supposedly for people that don't have cell phones or don't know how to use the BusTime app. Why not use that money to train people?  Such a waste.  It only tells you how many stops away the bus is, not how long you'll have to wait (approximately) as some apps do taking traffic, etc. into consideration.

Those countdown stops are insanely expensive and supposedly for people that don't have cell phones or don't know how to use the BusTime app. Why not use that money to train people? Such a waste. It only tells you how many stops away the bus is, not how long you'll have to wait (approximately) as some apps do taking traffic, etc. into consideration.

The bus tracking program the MTA was testing a few years ago seemed like a good idea because all you would have to do is look at the top of the bus shelter and you could see how long you will have to wait. I thought it was cool at first but I realized one simple problem. It is not accurate because it could tell me I have to wait 10 minutes for M34 to come and 20 if I want the second bus but for all I know there can be heavy traffic where ever the bus is at. Therefore I could find myself waiting 20 minutes for both buses to come. That is why I see bustime as best as it will get in NYC. Now what the MTA should have is a program on buses where if someone requested a stop the bus will tell you the street name and major transfer points. NICE already has it on their buses and it could be useful in places like Queens where its very diverse with many types people and a lot of them don't know where they are going.

There's a fire on Kent Ave at Williamsburg and I find it wierd that RTS's9485 9525 and Orion VII NG 4105 are there as what I assume a temporary command center for the FDNY. Does this happen often?

At times MTA Buses can serve as a triage for injured passengers and emergency services personnel. As with the accident on Utica Avenue and Clarendon Road 3 weeks back. 5134 (FB) was used along with another 51xx bus to treat the injured and provide a layover for ESU personnel.

This service is provided on an as need basics if extra backup is needed. (hope this answers the question)

The bus tracking program the MTA was testing a few years ago seemed like a good idea because all you would have to do is look at the top of the bus shelter and you could see how long you will have to wait. I thought it was cool at first but I realized one simple problem. It is not accurate because it could tell me I have to wait 10 minutes for M34 to come and 20 if I want the second bus but for all I know there can be heavy traffic where ever the bus is at. Therefore I could find myself waiting 20 minutes for both buses to come. That is why I see bustime as best as it will get in NYC. Now what the MTA should have is a program on buses where if someone requested a stop the bus will tell you the street name and major transfer points. NICE already has it on their buses and it could be useful in places like Queens where its very diverse with many types people and a lot of them don't know where they are going.

Well that's precisely why they ditched the countdown clocks.  One day I used the M34 at 34th and 8th.  There were two buses coming which I could see from 9th Avenue.  The problem was there was a TON of traffic, so the wait time would be 8 minutes, then it would decrease, then shoot up again.  As a passenger that can be really annoying.  I think I eventually gave up and said screw it, even though there were buses coming because I could get to my destination faster than the bus could since it wasn't a long distance.

At times MTA Buses can serve as a triage for injured passengers and emergency services personnel. As with the accident on Utica Avenue and Clarendon Road 3 weeks back. 5134 (FB) was used along with another 51xx bus to treat the injured and provide a layover for ESU personnel.

This service is provided on an as need basics if extra backup is needed. (hope this answers the question)

Oh interesting, thanks man. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Edited by mta B43

There's a fire on Kent Ave at Williamsburg and I find it wierd that RTS's9485 9525 and Orion VII NG 4105 are there as what I assume a temporary command center for the FDNY. Does this happen often?

Those were actually used to keep firefighters warm, as the freezing air and water hoses were a dangerous combination.