BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On a side note, I thought I was going to see an LFS on the S44 today. I was waiting at Forest & Richmond, and saw one coming down Morningstar Road, but it turned out to be "Not In Service". The real S44 was right behind it (an O7).

I like the O7s better, but it would've still been interesting to ride an LFS down Richmond Avenue (I've seen them as trippers but never actually rode one).

As much as you claim to use the S53 you should've been on one by now... <_<

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else get scared when whipping a hybrid around a corner at 25mph??? I never noticed how top heavy they are until yesterday. I always though that the lower center of gravity compensated for the extra 2000lbs on the roof. i guess it doesn't completely...those buses need sway bars

I remember I was on a B38...

That B/O whipped around that corner at Bond/Fulton like it was nothin'. The bus was tipping over a bit...

Re-read my post. I said I never rode an LFS down Richmond Avenue because the S44/94 and S59/89 are based out of Yukon. I've rode them plenty of times on the S46, S48, and S53.

Yeah and you never said that you actually rode one either. You just added all of that about Yukon in the last post.

He said he never rode one. He said he never rode one on the S44.

I guess we're both hallucinating... <_<

----

Here's my random thought... I love it when B/Os are rude for no reason and do the look away like you don't exist. I had a prick who does the BxM18 here and there who speaks to select people; I guess the ones he feels are good enough to respond to. I had him this morning on the BxM1 and he did the same thing. I didn't even bother speaking to the guy.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Had some great bus rides yesterday, 9058 and 9238 on the B82, two amazing ENY rts's, also 7614 on the B4, and 7615 and 973 on the B68, didn't catch any Orion 5's but the ENY RTS's made up for it.

973 is the sh!t that bus can move I've ridden it a # of times. Some of these C40's still got youth in em

Here's my random thought... I love it when B/Os are rude for no reason and do the look away like you don't exist. I had a prick who does the BxM18 here and there who speaks to select people; I guess the ones he feels are good enough to respond to. I had him this morning on the BxM1 and he did the same thing. I didn't even bother speaking to the guy.

I hate those people. Especially the ones who try to give minorities a hard time.

Edited by ThrexxBus

Yeah and you never said that you actually rode one either. You just added all of that about Yukon in the last post.

Look back at my posting history. You'll see that I've mentioned a bunch of times how they shouldn't be on the S46 because they can't handle the crowds. I haven't mentioned it on the S53 because when I take it from Port Richmond to the YMCA, it's towards the beginning of the route, so it's not too crowded (And you bring up the BS about me "claiming" to use the S53. You want me to tell you the exact buses I ride too? Like what time I get on and off, just to prove I use the route?) I've probably mentioned it a few times in blog post or something, or maybe in a post on this thread about riding LFSs on the S53, and I sure as hell have mentioned riding the S53 in general plenty of times, so you can take that comment and shove it.

I guess we're both hallucinating... <_<

Re-read the post. Does it make sense what he's saying?

"He said he never rode one. He said he never rode one on the S44." He probably meant to say "He never said he never rode one. He said he never rode one on the S44". He can probably verify this.

Don't take a typo and use it to support your point.

"He said he never rode one. He said he never rode one on the S44." He probably meant to say "He never said he never rode one. He said he never rode one on the S44". He can probably verify this.

Correct. I don't even know how I made that typo. (SMH to myself...) Typo's are typos, not basis for an argument...

Edited by ThrexxBus

Look back at my posting history. You'll see that I've mentioned a bunch of times how they shouldn't be on the S46 because they can't handle the crowds. I haven't mentioned it on the S53 because when I take it from Port Richmond to the YMCA, it's towards the beginning of the route, so it's not too crowded (And you bring up the BS about me "claiming" to use the S53. You want me to tell you the exact buses I ride too? Like what time I get on and off, just to prove I use the route?) I've probably mentioned it a few times in blog post or something, or maybe in a post on this thread about riding LFSs on the S53, and I sure as hell have mentioned riding the S53 in general plenty of times, so you can take that comment and shove it.

Yeah I know you've used the S53 before, so what's your point?

Correct. I don't even know how I made that typo. (SMH to myself...) Typo's are typos, not basis for an argument...

Yeah well I can say it would be interesting to ride "X" bus down Richmond Avenue too... Doesn't mean I've rode "X" bus before. That was the point.

I hate those people. Especially the ones who try to give minorities a hard time.

lol... Well he's a minority (black guy with dreads or whatever you call them), and that's what is funny about it. Out of all of the B/Os out of Yonkers I've found the black ones to be the rudest in terms of folks speaking to them and them just ignoring them like they don't exist and giving them attitude by looking away, or them speaking to select folks that they feel are worthy of acknowledging. I saw a black lady on the BxM18 who gets off in Kingsbridge and she saluted the B/O (who was also black) in a louder than usual voice on purpose (probably because he had ignored her on previous rides) and he still ignored her. LOL

Some of it is rudeness and some of it is racial undertones too or perhaps (economic) jealousy because they purposely don't speak to some folks, but yet I'll hear a white couple get off and they'll speak. I was sitting close to the front this morning and could see him in his mirror and he was pulling the same crap. I saw a few folks get off with rather pissed looks on their faces naturally feeling offended by his rudeness. I'm sure he knows the routine on the Riverdale express buses, which is that just about all of the passengers speak when they get off and expect to be acknowledged not because they're Gods or anything, but simply out of a mutual respect for being polite.

1) Yeah I know you've used the S53 before, so what's your point?

2) Yeah well I can say it would be interesting to ride "X" bus down Richmond Avenue too... Doesn't mean I've rode "X" bus before. That was the point.

1) Because you keep bringing up BS about me "supposedly" using the S53. There is no "supposedly". I have rode the S53 plenty of times. Period. End of story.

2) Well I have. Even if it wasn't on the S53 (which it was), I've mentioned many times about having rode them on the S46, and a few times on the S48. Hell, I've even rode LFSs on the S93 before as well, and probably a couple of other routes I'm forgetting. How else would I be able to formulate an opinion about them handling crowds if I haven't rode on them before?

1) Because you keep bringing up BS about me "supposedly" using the S53. There is no "supposedly". I have rode the S53 plenty of times. Period. End of story.

lol... I know you're an occasional rider... It's not like it is your main line or anything. That was my point.

2) Well I have. Even if it wasn't on the S53 (which it was), I've mentioned many times about having rode them on the S46, and a few times on the S48. Hell, I've even rode LFSs on the S93 before as well, and probably a couple of other routes I'm forgetting. How else would I be able to formulate an opinion about them handling crowds if I haven't rode on them before?

LOL... The LFSs aren't that "unpopular" on the S93... I've seen them on the line on a regular basis. <_<

lol... Well he's a minority (black guy with dreads or whatever you call them), that's what is funny about it. Out of all of the B/Os out of Yonkers I've found the black ones to be the rudest in terms of folks speaking to them and them just ignoring them like they don't exist or them speaking to select folks that they feel are worthy of acknowledging. I saw a black lady on the BxM18 who gets off in Kingsbridge and she saluted the B/O (who was also black) in a louder than usual voice on purpose (probably because he had ignored her on previous rides) and he still ignored her. LOL Some of it is rudeness and some of it is racial undertones too or perhaps jealousy because they purposely don't speak to some folks, but yet I'll hear a white couple get off and they'll speak. I was sitting close to the front this morning and could see him in his mirror and he was pulling the same crap. I saw a few folks get off with rather pissed looks on their faces naturally feeling offended by his rudeness. I'm sure he knows the routine on the Riverdale buses, which is that just about all of the passengers speak when they get off and expect to be acknowledged not because they're Gods or anything, but simply out of a mutual respect for being polite.

People like that should work Subway instead of surface, if you aren't social able you shouldn't work surface. B/O's deal with customers on a face to face basis. It's part of the job. They show those asshol3 tendencies to a customer who isn't having it they shouldn't be surprised if they get cursed @ or worse. Edited by RaYtHaMaN

People like that should work Subway instead of surface, if you aren't social able you shouldn't work surface. B/O's deal with customers on a face to face basis. It's part of the job. They show those asshol3 tendencies to a customer who isn't having it they shouldn't be surprised if they get cursed @ or worse.

Quite frankly those Yonkers B/Os for the most part have it good. They have all express bus runs and the Riverdale runs are pretty tame, so I have a hard time understanding their rudeness though I have my suspicions. I will say this though... There is certainly a racial and economic undertone and some of the B/Os (regardless of race or ethnicity) do resent seeing certain folks living in an affluent neighborhood that is heavily white, as if it is their job to dictate who should live where. That is very evident from my observations.

Now me, I've haven't really had any real issues with any of the B/Os out of Yonkers so far aside from the guy that bypassed me and another passenger, but that was because of a typo on the run sheet. I am actually one of the youngest folks on the bus usually and I'm a tall mixed light skinned male, so some of them may look be a bit surprised because there is the age factor more than anything on the express bus, plus I, as they are usually female dominated and usually middle aged or old folks, esp. on the Riverdale express buses, but if anything I'll get the look like how much money does this guy make lol, but I'm sure the word has gotten out not to screw around with me so after that last B/O bypassed my stop, so I haven't had any of the buses stopping short nonsense or any of the other games some B/Os will play to try to make you feel as if you don't belong on "X" bus because you're young or whatever.

I haven't seen a B/O with an attitude problem at all. During my HS days, there was this B/O that would greet passengers with a "good morning".

There was another B/O that was against fare-beaters, and if he caught one, he'd tell them to pay the fare or leave the bus.

I haven't seen both of them for years now, and they were common to encounter on the Bx36.

Quite frankly those Yonkers B/Os for the most part have it good. They have all express bus runs and the Riverdale runs are pretty tame, so I have a hard time understanding their rudeness though I have my suspicions. I will say this though... There is certainly a racial and economic undertone and some of the B/Os (regardless of race or ethnicity) do resent seeing certain folks living in an affluent neighborhood that is heavily white, as if it is their job to dictate who should live where. That is very evident from my observations.

Now me, I've haven't really had any real issues with any of the B/Os out of Yonkers so far aside from the guy that bypassed me and another passenger, but that was because of a typo on the run sheet. I am actually one of the youngest folks on the bus usually and I'm a tall mixed light skinned male, so some of them may look be a bit surprised because there is the age factor more than anything on the express bus, plus I, as they are usually female dominated and usually middle aged or old folks, esp. on the Riverdale express buses, but if anything I'll get the look like how much money does this guy make lol, but I'm sure the word has gotten out not to screw around with me so after that last B/O bypassed my stop, so I haven't had any of the buses stopping short nonsense or any of the other games some B/Os will play to try to make you feel as if you don't belong on "X" bus because you're young or whatever.

Wow, 30 is young now? Well, that's something! ;)

I think that anyone would be envious of people living in any affluent neighborhood like Riverdale. The B/O's have no right to screw around because your rich/poor, young/old, etc, but in a way I can see where feelings like that would come from.

If anything I'll get the look like how much money does this guy make lol, but I'm sure the word has gotten out not to screw around with me so after that last B/O bypassed my stop, so I haven't had any of the buses stopping short nonsense or any of the other games some B/Os will play to try to make you feel as if you don't belong on "X" bus because you're young or whatever.

Jesus, keep that inferiority complex at bay for a while! I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that a) no word has gotten around and no B/Os even specifically know you, and that the people looking at you aren't staring in envy (more likely, 'my god, he looks like a pr!ck!' ;) )

--

On the topic of B/Os, gotta say, many props to my man on the M2 today. Didn't recognize him so he might have been on the extra list, but he did an incredibly good job -- especially considering how furious most of the passengers were (we waited 35 minutes in the rain) and how bad the traffic was. He knew how to move that bus, good stuff.

Edited by MHV9218

973 is the sh!t that bus can move I've ridden it a # of times. Some of these C40's still got youth in em

Yea, that bus was moving, sounded amazing, best ride on a C40LF in a while, ince I rode on 876, now that bus is the shit, and 809.

What happened that day was I was waiting for the 2:05 PM B68 from CI/Ave M to Ave Z, buses 7615 and 973 came back to back at 2:19, took 7615 to Kings Hiway, and ran onto 973 which then passed 7615, was still late, had to get to AVE Z at 2:30, got there 2:36, 973 made up some serious time.

Yea, that bus was moving, sounded amazing, best ride on a C40LF in a while, ince I rode on 876, now that bus is the shit, and 809.

What happened that day was I was waiting for the 2:05 PM B68 from CI/Ave M to Ave Z, buses 7615 and 973 came back to back at 2:19, took 7615 to Kings Hiway, and ran onto 973 which then passed 7615, was still late, had to get to AVE Z at 2:30, got there 2:36, 973 made up some serious time.

Dude lines like the B67 and the B8 run them busses down. Those are some long a$$ lines and then do give problem to busses in the long run, I think ??

1) lol... I know you're an occasional rider... It's not like it is your main line or anything. That was my point.

2) LOL... The LFSs aren't that "unpopular" on the S93... I've seen them on the line on a regular basis. <_<

1) Just because I'm an "occasional rider" doesn't mean I don't ride it often. Do I ride it every day like the S46 and Richmond Avenue routes? No, but I do ride it often enough.

2) I know that, but it's not one of my main lines (though like I said before, that doesn't mean I don't ride it fairly often).

I haven't seen a B/O with an attitude problem at all. During my HS days, there was this B/O that would greet passengers with a "good morning".

There was another B/O that was against fare-beaters, and if he caught one, he'd tell them to pay the fare or leave the bus.

I haven't seen both of them for years now, and they were common to encounter on the Bx36.

Eh, I've seen a few with an attitude problem, but overall, I'd say they're mostly alright. There's a B/O I regularly get on the S89 that says hello to everybody and he'll even wait if he sees somebody running (It's usually when the light up ahead is red, so he doesn't have anything to lose by waiting an extra 30 seconds, but still, that's very nice of him). Some drivers are surprisingly nice considering what they have to deal with (there was a woman who I saw occasionally on the S96 which you always had to fight to get on because they spaced it so there's almost a 15 minute gap and then the S46 is almost right behind it, and despite dealing with a crowded bus, she was always friendly. There are some other B/Os that have done that run, and they had a slight attitude, but that's completely understandable considering what they have to deal with. A few are just unreasonably nasty, but you don't let a couple of bad apples spoil the bunch.)

The B/Os that speak to EVERYONE... They kind of crack me up... I've had some on the local buses on SI for example and I normally don't say anything on the local buses, but if one does speak to me I'll speak back, but a lot of them get the same passengers that ignore them when they speak, but yet they keep speaking to them anyway. lol

Wow, 30 is young now? Well, that's something! ;)

I think that anyone would be envious of people living in any affluent neighborhood like Riverdale. The B/O's have no right to screw around because your rich/poor, young/old, etc, but in a way I can see where feelings like that would come from.

Hey, 30 is the new black. :D It's not like I can turn back the clock and be 24 again. Then again if you saw some of the folks on the Riverdale express buses, 30 is very young. :lol: Some days I'm the only guy on the express bus with a full head of hair that isn't grey. :ph34r:

Jesus, keep that inferiority complex at bay for a while! I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that a) no word has gotten around and no B/Os even specifically know you, and that the people looking at you aren't staring in envy (more likely, 'my god, he looks like a pr!ck!' ;) )

--

On the topic of B/Os, gotta say, many props to my man on the M2 today. Didn't recognize him so he might have been on the extra list, but he did an incredibly good job -- especially considering how furious most of the passengers were (we waited 35 minutes in the rain) and how bad the traffic was. He knew how to move that bus, good stuff.

LOL... The M2 was apparently running like crap today. I took an M1 which was already kind of crowded when I got on at that stop near Union Square and there was no M2 until I got off at 43rd and Madison.

As for my "inferiority complex" (lol), I say that because I'm often asked "What is it that you do?" Folks really do have a hard time seeing smart young educated folks that are successful, because the consensus is that when you're young you're automatically poor.

Is there some B46 short turn run that I don't know about? Today I saw 4238 B46 signed up as Kings Highway on Av H and then making a left turn on Utica and going north. I wasn't sure if it was in service as it pulled out before I got a good look at it, but seemed out of nowhere to me.

Also got on an Xd40 B6. I have to say, based on the seating arrangement, it is my fav of the 3.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Is there some B46 short turn run that I don't know about? Today I saw 4238 B46 signed up as Kings Highway on Av H and then making a left turn on Utica and going north. I wasn't sure if it was in service as it pulled out before I got a good look at it, but seemed out of nowhere to me.

That's a short turn. I believe those buses go to Eastern Parkway during AM/PM Rush.

That's a short turn. I believe those buses go to Eastern Parkway during AM/PM Rush.

Correct; those are the rush hour shuttles to handle the train loads during rush hour as those 3 & 4 trains discharge. They operate between EP and Kings Highway, then deadhead back to EP (some), and vice versa during AM rush. There's at least 3-4 of these during rush hour. And their pull-in trip usually discharges at Fillmore Avenue, then pull-in from there (some are LTD, but most are local trips).

Note: that EP stand southbound can get extremely heavy! Sometime looks like a rush hour train platform.

Edited by Acela Express