BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you require supervision to go to say, Queens, if you live in Manhattan? Or say you lived in Manhattan, on 45th and wanted to go to 207th, would you require supervision of someone over 18?

Why would you need supervision? I live in BK but travel to the other borough's (esp Queens) fairly often. I'm 18 btw. 

Why would you need supervision? I live in BK but travel to the other borough's (esp Queens) fairly often. I'm 18 btw.

I just turned 17, and my parents are sometimes hesitating to let me travel around because I would get hurt or something. And I go to places like Flushing and Far Rockaway occasionally.

I'm 17 as well and my mom doesn't particularly care where I go. I just have to tell her where I am going and she has to know that it is safe because in today's a lot of things happen. I pretty much stay in Queens so she is okay with it so I just have to call to say I reached my destination safely.

The farthest place I been by myself was Time Square but technically I was with a group of people after an event. Really by myself in NYC was Rosedale in Queens and I've traveled to Deer Park on the LIRR to visit family.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

I've been to all 5 boroughs before. I once hit all 5 in one day. but the farthest I've been was the Cortlandt Town Center, and Yorktown Heights when I took an adventure on the bee-line 17 and 77. And I have hit Long Island a few times. farthest I've been is Glen Cove on the N21.

So I hop on an M42 from 41st and 1st and I'm the only one that gets on at that stop. Meanwhile the bus gets to 42nd and 1st and the darn thing gets hammered. I ended up getting off at 3rd Avenue (even though I wanted the subway at Lex), and I ended up crossing Lexington and got to the (4)(5)(6) entrance that leads to the north end of the station (its a nice shortcut and much less busy BTW) and the bus was just pulling in to the Lex stop when I got to the stairs...

I wonder because for my 14th birthday, I will be able to walk down to the shopping plaza close to my house, a mile away. What I wondered is how can one nrof my same age, walk the streets of NYC, but I can't walk to a shopping plaza in Hartford, including the sheer size of NYC. And what's worse for me is that I never wss able to go anywhere because I lived in a place where the nearest place of retail was at least 20 minutes walking distance, one-way Edited by NewFlyer504

So I hop on an M42 from 41st and 1st and I'm the only one that gets on at that stop. Meanwhile the bus gets to 42nd and 1st and the darn thing gets hammered. I ended up getting off at 3rd Avenue (even though I wanted the subway at Lex), and I ended up crossing Lexington and got to the (4)(5)(6) entrance that leads to the north end of the station (its a nice shortcut and much less busy BTW) and the bus was just pulling in to the Lex stop when I got to the stairs...

Not sure why you are so surprised... This is the case with most M42's heading West during the week.  It can be more tolerable during off hours on the weekends.

Not sure why you are so surprised... This is the case with most M42's heading West during the week.  It can be more tolerable during off hours on the weekends.

Oh I know the M42 gets busy, I just find it interesting how two stops that are a block and a half apart have such a sharp difference in ridership. I blame the UN and the tourists.