BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I don't know what was the point of changing the signs anyway.  The earlier ones worked just fine... <_<

The (MTA) was forced to use the multi-color signs for the new Xcelsiors as Luminator discontinued the standard displays.

And Culver, most signs are prone to glitches, whether they're old or new.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (MTA) was forced to use the multi-color signs for the new Xcelsiors as Luminator discontinued the standard displays.

And Culver, most signs are prone to glitches, whether they're old or new.

Not true. They're still being made for other agencies. The multicolors is a spec for the current orders(not the Prevosts).

Edited by Cait Sith

Maybe, but that's why you check the bus before leaving the depot.

I've seen those doors open at random.  Has nothing to do with checking before leaving the depot.  If the door is faulty, it will keep opening.  This was the case on a hybrid I was on.  The storage system for GPS system was behind the driver.  It seemed to keep opening by itself, which makes sense given all of the potholes and craters.

I've seen those doors open at random. Has nothing to do with checking before leaving the depot. If the door is faulty, it will keep opening. This was the case on a hybrid I was on. The storage system for GPS system was behind the driver. It seemed to keep opening by itself, which makes sense given all of the potholes and craters.

I guess that's reasonable.

They need to make those doors stronger then so it doesn't open randomly. Maybe fix the door when the bus needs to be overhauled or so.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

I guess that's reasonable.

They need to make those doors stronger then so it doesn't open randomly. Maybe fix the door when the bus needs to be overhauled or so.

Yeah the (MTA) doesn't care.  They just care about buses making service.  To them those are "minor issues" so long as no one is injured. I've been on an express bus where the shocks were clearly gone.  The B/O kept the bus in service only because he knew he wouldn't be replaced if he didn't.  Just an example...

And they're talking about ANOTHER fare increase soon? Makes me wonder if some 2010 restored routes should even be existing today because of buses not being in the best conditions.

Yeah, no agencies are perfect but still....

$3+? Yeah, I read about it in the paper.

They are probably going to hike the fare anyway in 2017, but since no one's talking about properly funding the Capital program, there's rumblings of a more substantial hike.

$3+? Yeah, I read about it in the paper.

They are probably going to hike the fare anyway in 2017, but since no one's talking about properly funding the Capital program, there's rumblings of a more substantial hike.

I see the fare going up to $3.00 or $3.25 in 2017.  It isn't a question of probably, but rather how much, as they have promised fare increases in 2017.  I would imagine they'll do an increase similar to the one that they did this year across the board unless things are REALLY bad.

I see the fare going up to $3.00 or $3.25 in 2017. It isn't a question of probably, but rather how much, as they have promised fare increases in 2017. I would imagine they'll do an increase similar to the one that they did this year across the board unless things are REALLY bad.

Why is the fare increasing so fast. Can we at least go 7 or more years with the same fare. The fare was $2 from 2003- 2010 and keeps going up.

Why is the fare increasing so fast. Can we at least go 7 or more years with the same fare. The fare was $2 from 2003- 2010 and keeps going up.

I would prefer a gradual increase rather than going 7+ years without an increase, followed by cuts in service all over, and a steep fare increase. Operational costs grow annually; it's a miracle that the MTA doesn't do it annually. 

I would prefer a gradual increase rather than going 7+ years without an increase, followed by cuts in service all over, and a steep fare increase. Operational costs grow annually; it's a miracle that the MTA doesn't do it annually.

I'm ok with fare increases as well, but what really messed up the MTA right now is taking their time with projects and keeping the rolling stock and vehicles in good conditions.

At least try to save money and not announce fare increases so early.

Well for one operating expenses... The unions will say that they have nothing to do with costs going up, but their pay increases and expensive overall packages don't help. You also have bloated overhead from the (MTA) having too many "senior project managers", office staff and the like earning $90,000 - 100,000+ a year.  I've worked in the (MTA) offices for two summers when I was in high school, and the workload that some of those guys had was a joke. One guy seemed to be on vacation more than he was in the office, and we're talking about during the course of the ENTIRE summer.  I don't think much has changed. I think the (MTA) would argue that they need to hire the best talent, and to do that you need incentives to draw in that talent like good benefits (i.e. vacation and salary package, etc).  I get that, but all of that costs money that they DON'T have in the first place and when you don't have money, you don't spend what you don't have.  Their employees need to make sacrifices and the only way that happens is if the (MTA) takes that stance that when the budget is tight, they have to operate in a more fiscally sound manner and make cuts as well.  They can still offer perks and cut back here and there to keep costs down. They also need to track overtime better.  Still too much overtime going around. If it costs more with fewer staff, that means it makes more sense to hire more staff so that you don't pay out so much in overtime. This isn't rocket science here.  It's simple Math.

Don't get me wrong, I benefited as well working for them (received a free Metrocard to commute to and from work and had Friday's off), but there is still a TON of fat that needs to be cut.  Instead they focus on squeezing the riders and cutting bus service, which does nothing but deters ridership.  Additionally, there still needs to be more crackdowns on farebeaters.  It was in the news in the past and temporary crackdowns were enforced, but that needs to be ramped up and done on a consistent basis. Too few riders paying and the ones that are see higher fares to cover for the ones not paying.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Well for one operating expenses... The unions will say that they have nothing to do with costs going up, but their pay increases and expensive overall packages don't help. You also have bloated overhead from the (MTA) having too many "senior project managers", office staff and the like earning $90,000 - 100,000+ a year.  I've worked in the (MTA) offices for two summers when I was in high school, and the workload that some of those guys had was a joke. One guy seemed to be on vacation more than he was in the office, and we're talking about during the course of the ENTIRE summer.  I don't think much has changed. I think the (MTA) would argue that they need to hire the best talent, and to do that you need incentives to draw in that talent like good benefits (i.e. vacation and salary package, etc).  I get that, but all of that costs money that they DON'T have in the first place and when you don't have money, you don't spend what you don't have.  Their employees need to make sacrifices and the only way that happens is if the (MTA) takes that stance that when the budget is tight, they have to operate in a more fiscally sound manner and make cuts as well.  They can still offer perks and cut back here and there to keep costs down. They also need to track overtime better.  Still too much overtime going around. If it costs more with fewer staff, that means it makes more sense to hire more staff so that you don't pay out so much in overtime. This isn't rocket science here.  It's simple Math.

Don't get me wrong, I benefited as well working for them (received a free Metrocard to commute to and from work and had Friday's off), but there is still a TON of fat that needs to be cut.  Instead they focus on squeezing the riders and cutting bus service, which does nothing but deters ridership.  Additionally, there still needs to be more crackdowns on farebeaters.  It was in the news in the past and temporary crackdowns were enforced, but that needs to be ramped up and done on a consistent basis. Too few riders paying and the ones that are see higher fares to cover for the ones not paying.

You couldn't be more right about the farebeating. When I was in the Broad St. station in lower Manhattan a few weeks ago, I witnessed people flagrantly just walking through the emergency exit gate while a waiting passenger stood there holding the gate open. In the approx. 5 minutes while I was there,at least 15 people did this. Keep in mind-this was at one entrance at just one station. Imagine how much of this goes on in all 468 stations all day & night.

You couldn't be more right about the farebeating. When I was in the Broad St. station in lower Manhattan a few weeks ago, I witnessed people flagrantly just walking through the emergency exit gate while a waiting passenger stood there holding the gate open. In the approx. 5 minutes while I was there,at least 15 people did this. Keep in mind-this was at one entrance at just one station. Imagine how much of this goes on in all 468 stations all day & night.

lol... Those emergency gates are a trip. I see that quite often.  It's just so easy, and with people going in and out, who is going to stop them?  Last night I had a tutoring session in the South Bronx.  Took the BxM4 and figured I'd take the Bx6 the last part of the way since I didn't feel like walking.  Three buses came and they were all packed, which meant that you had tons of people going through the back and not paying. I think out of the three buses at that one stop, the people that got on from the back must've been a good 30 people, and that's just one stop, so that's $82.50 in lost revenue right there.  Even if there was space it wouldn't have mattered.  Just gave them an excuse to not pay the fare.  I went through the front, dipped my Express bus pass, rode for one stop and then walked the rest of the way. Couldn't deal with the insane crowd.  Coming back I took another packed Bx6 over to the BxM4, and interestingly enough, everyone that got on appeared to pay, but nevertheless the farebeating is really rampant.

Another thing I've been seeing on the express buses is people pulling this BS that they don't have a Metrocard.  I've seen this on the BxM4 with a elderly lady who claimed she needed $3.00 in change.  No one had it so the driver let her on.  Before that this chick gets on a BxM2 I was on heading to Riverdale.  I was coming from work so I was dressed professionally (dress shirt, tie, pants, oxfords, etc.).  She clearly assumed that I would let her use my Metrocard, so she gets on at 63rd and Broadway with a story (I couldn't hear since I usually sit all the way in the back), and the driver gives her a lecture (I imagine something along the lines of don't try this again or I will kick you off - that's the impression I got, as Yonkers drivers usually don't tolerate that), and then she proceeds to come and sit near me, and then randomly whirls around as we approach 72nd and Amsterdam and asks blatantly if I had a Metrocard. I looked at her like she was crazy and another guy turned around and did the same thing and everyone refused to give her anything... Really frowned upon on the Riverdale express buses to go asking people for a free dip.  It's one thing if you don't have access to a subway station which happens a lot in Riverdale and so people will dip in exchange for the money (I have do it as well), but she's right next to the Lincoln Center station on the (1) line so there was no excuse. I was tempted to tell her to GTFO and take the damn subway.  She got off in Kingsbridge. Looked very strange too... In any event, there's been A LOT of farebeating going on, both discretely in some cases and blatantly in others since the fare went up, and the (MTA) needs to address the problem sooner rather than later.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8