BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

You know...it would be nice if all express bus drivers would dim the lights at night time...come on I can't rest or sleep and it's hard to see outside. These new Prevost have some bright lights and a loud annoying Stop Request bell.

Most of the Academy operators due on the x23/x24, sometimes I can get on an x19 and have operators who would.

However, the B/O's are required to leave the lights on during revenue operation, the basis - from my understanding is sexual assault concerns.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the Academy operators due on the x23/x24, sometimes I can get on an x19 and have operators who would.

However, the B/O's are required to leave the lights on during revenue operation, the basis - from my understanding is sexual assault concerns.

Oh really? I didn't know it was a requirement, thought it was optional since I usually see some with them off, and some with them on. They usually have the reading lights on though when they're off.

You know...it would be nice if all express bus drivers would dim the lights at night time...come on I can't rest or sleep and it's hard to see outside. These new Prevost have some bright lights and a loud annoying Stop Request bell.

Yeah that's also annoying when they leave the lights on.  I don't have too many that do that on the Riverdale buses.

Supposed to but some don't like the lights... They claim it bothers their eyes...  <_< Who in the hell is the paying passenger? I report those types.  I want to be able to see when I get on the damn bus and not risk falling and injuring myself.  I once had this moron on the BxM18.  He's flying down the Henry Hudson Parkway Service Road and I couldn't find something.  The bus was pitch black and by the time I finally found what I was looking for (the case for my $200.00+ earbuds), I had passed my stop and were already in Fieldston in the estate area.  Navigating the hills in Riverdale is always pain which is why I rang for a particular stop, so I was esp. pissed.

Yeah that's also annoying when they leave the lights on.  I don't have too many that do that on the Riverdale buses.

Supposed to but some don't like the lights... They claim it bothers their eyes...  <_< Who in the hell is the paying passenger? I report those types.  I want to be able to see when I get on the damn bus and not risk falling and injuring myself.  I once had this moron on the BxM18.  He's flying down the Henry Hudson Parkway Service Road and I couldn't find something.  The bus was pitch black and by the time I finally found what I was looking for (the case for my $200.00+ earbuds), I had passed my stop and were already in Fieldston in the estate area.  Navigating the hills in Riverdale is always pain which is why I rang for a particular stop, so I was esp. pissed.

During the "express" portion of the trip they turned down the lights - very nice on the 1/2 hour between the last stop on Staten Island and the first stop in Manhattan. In Academy's instance and some other operators, all left the lights on when picking up or discharging passengers. My old x1 operator when I worked nights would put on the interior lights whenever he picked someone up and turn em off when the passenger got seated - it was nice because almost everyone napped on the bus (all 3rd shift people).

Edited by 161passenger

During the "express" portion of the trip they turned down the lights - very nice on the 1/2 hour between the last stop on Staten Island and the first stop in Manhattan. In Academy's instance and some other operators, all left the lights on when picking up or discharging passengers. My old x1 operator when I worked nights would put on the interior lights whenever he picked someone up and turn em off when the passenger got seated - it was nice because almost everyone was napped on the bus (all 3rd shift people).

Last night I took a BxM1 into the city after the Parade was done and the lights were off.  Me and two other people got on a few more at the next stop and then no one until we reached 207th and Broadway in Inwood.  Late nights I don't mind it since he had the reading lights on but sometimes it can be annoying if you drop something and don't realize it.  That has happened to me before on the X10.  I must've lost something either when I got on at Slosson or during the trip to the city.  

Most of the expresses I been on lately shut the lights on the highway but turn them back on when they get off.

NJ Transit and the PBLs in NJ all do the same thing, lights off on the highway and on when they're making stops

I find the NJ express buses to be esp. annoying because they turn the lights off and on when making stops, which kills my eyes, plus you have those damn lights on the side that come since it's pitch black out in the boonies (aka NJ). Just an example of an area that is TOO suburban for moi.  Also so stingy with service.  Hate coming back on a 163 from the Garden State Plaza and having to worry about some douche wanting to sit next to me with my Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom items. 

So today I was waiting for a local Bx12 at Jerome that got put in service there (it ran light from Sedgwick), yet people still manage to complain. This old lady was complaining that the sign said "NOT IN SERVICE" until the last second. Wow, you had a driver that skipped all those stops before yours and got an empty artic out of it and that's how you react? She did end up making the bus for those keeping score.

I would be complaining if I was waiting at one of the stops that was skipped. The local doesn't run all that frequent as is so buses running light like that results in riders waiting longer they they should have to. Those stops between Sedgwick and Jerome get high usage. To say the Bx12 is one of my favorite routes in the bus system, i'm not impressed with what i'm seeing lately with the non-stop bunching on the Select. I hope the summer pick has enough runs to handle both the Orchard Beach and Bay Plaza crowds (which will increase significantly given this is the first full summer with the indoor mall there). On a side note is there a schedule available with the Orchard Beach trips running between now and the summer pick. One would be quite useful.

Well, even on a good day on a high ridership route, all we need is a leading driver doing 25 with the following driver doing 20 and the follower will make a gap ahead and have the bus behind that one catch up. So instead of two 5 minute gaps you end up with one big 9 minute gap and a 1-2 minute gap with two buses. Drivers do anywhere between 20 (by the book speed limit IINM) and 35 (the actual speed limit) on Pelham Parkway which is a significant variance.

I'd chalk it to driver preference along with traffic in addition to the crowds. Where the heck do all these people come from?!?

Edited by paulrivera

Yeah that's also annoying when they leave the lights on. I don't have too many that do that on the Riverdale buses.

Supposed to but some don't like the lights... They claim it bothers their eyes... <_< Who in the hell is the paying passenger? I report those types. I want to be able to see when I get on the damn bus and not risk falling and injuring myself. I once had this moron on the BxM18. He's flying down the Henry Hudson Parkway Service Road and I couldn't find something. The bus was pitch black and by the time I finally found what I was looking for (the case for my $200.00+ earbuds), I had passed my stop and were already in Fieldston in the estate area. Navigating the hills in Riverdale is always pain which is why I rang for a particular stop, so I was esp. pissed.

It puts a glare on the windshield at nights, and can impair driving. Now some operators just look past it and can drive with the window glare, but not every operator is the same

Disagree. Childish, and not going to win over the public. Nobody's going to stand up for the rights of operators to ignore traffic safety laws and run people over without consequence. Just not a good campaign.

I would have been pissed if I lived far away and I had to take the bus today. I would have been late to take the US regents today and it would of been the MTA's fault if I would have failed since I really don't have THAT MUCH time.

i understand Btrain  and mhv  i don't understand these drivers are operating to the last letter and the fact they did it in the home district of the transportation commitee's district makes it even awesome and these alternative transportation/bike advocates heads are exploding... this LAW IS A DISASTER!

So as I understand it, the union's position is "either our drivers drive like dicks and kill pedestrians, or you all get slow transit, nothing in between." What infantile bullshit. I'm sure it'll win them many fans. They should be embarrassed.

im sorry you feel that way but that law is very skewed giving a license to jaywalk. the law is very flawed with the definiton to "due regard" and is a traversal disaster! this law should be tossed out with the lawsuit or repeal!

Edited by BreeddekalbL

im sorry you feel that way but that law is very skewed giving a license to jaywalk. the law is very flawed with the definiton to "due regard" and is a traversal disaster! this law should be tossed out with the lawsuit or repeal!

(facepalm)*100

It's not giving a license to jaywalk. Pedestrians have the damn right of way. All that's asked of bus drivers is to not run people over.

So as I understand it, the union's position is "either our drivers drive like dicks and kill pedestrians, or you all get slow transit, nothing in between." What infantile bullshit. I'm sure it'll win them many fans. They should be embarrassed.

You can barely get anywhere on a bus these days (express bus included) unless it's REALLY late at night.  Otherwise, you can forget getting home early. I took a late BxM2 last night and was shocked at the time we did, but then again, the guy was doing his last run so of course he could move then.

i understand Btrain  and mhv  i don't understand these drivers are operating to the last letter and the fact they did it in the home district of the transportation commitee's district makes it even awesome and these alternative transportation/bike advocates heads are exploding... this LAW IS A DISASTER!

Nobody's heads are exploding, but many are shaking at the TWU.

It isn't skewed. If somebody is crossing with the light, they have right of way. How is that possibly skewed in anyway conceivable way?

Nobody's heads are exploding, but many are shaking at the TWU.

It isn't skewed. If somebody is crossing with the light, they have right of way. How is that possibly skewed in anyway conceivable way?

the reason why im saying that is since when has "alternative transit advocates" dictated policy before?

it is i never seen a law that basiclly gives pedestrians a license to jaywalk and basiclly says hey if you get hit even if it's your fault the driver will be arrested.  this law is a disaster and needs to be tossed in court or that exemption needs to be passed 

Edited by BreeddekalbL

the reason why im saying that is since when has "alternative transit advocates" dictated policy before?

it is i never seen a law that basiclly gives pedestrians a license to jaywalk and basiclly says hey if you get hit even if it's your fault the driver will be arrested.  this law is a disaster and needs to be tossed in court or that exemption needs to be passed 

That's not what the law says! Read the law! It explicitly says that it only applies to people crossing with right of way (green light) in a crosswalk. If you jaywalk mid-block or against the light and get hit by a car, the law says that you are responsible and the driver is not. The law ONLY applies to crosswalks where the pedestrians have the green light, which is why it's called "Failure to Yield" and not simply "Failure to Stop." The law you made up in your head would be unfair--good thing it doesn't exist.

then can you tell me why only TA drivers have been arrested, also why was a driver on the b44 arrested for going 3 mph making the turn from farrgut onto NY ave and hit and killed someone? and there was also a school bus crash a while back where someone died and yet the driver did not get arrested its some malarkey!  ta drivers are being targeted!   hopefully the 44 driver gets his case tossed, and vision zero needs to be tossed in the courts or repealed! 

A civilian car crashed into a cop car at Rockaway Parkway, FUBAR'd B6, B17, B42 and B82 service I assume as a bunch of RTSs was OOS on that block next to the (L) train station. Rockaway Parkway was completely closed off. I only seen one bus running on the 42 in the middle of rush hour.

Speaking of service disruptions, this is a new one.....

B12 buses are running with delays in both directions due to a movie shoot at E New York Av and Junius St.

Allow additional travel time.