BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard a stupid racist woman on the S59 this morning. She kept on ranting about how "I don't like Port Richmond anymore. I feel like I'm in Guate...Gua-laha-ma...Gua-tela-ma...Guamahala (she mispronouced Guatemala like 4 or 5 times). And then she started trying to emulate a Spanish accent and I just sat there shaking my head. Luckily, I only had to put up with that crap until Forest Avenue.

I heard a stupid racist woman on the S59 this morning. She kept on ranting about how "I don't like Port Richmond anymore. I feel like I'm in Guate...Gua-laha-ma...Gua-tela-ma...Guamahala (she mispronouced Guatemala like 4 or 5 times). And then she started trying to emulate a Spanish accent and I just sat there shaking my head. Luckily, I only had to put up with that crap until Forest Avenue.

lol... You think that's bad... I've seen some pretty racist incidents on the X10 in particular. Usually nothing is said. More like certain little actions or the looks. This one white guy almost passed out when a black lady came and sat next to him. It's like he saw a ghost or something. I've seen it on the X16 too and I had to chuckle to myself because it was so clear what was going on. Sometimes I think the blacks do it purposely though because they know some whites don't want them sitting next to them. On the X10 I saw these white guys messing with these two blacks that got on messing with their chair and one of the black guys turned around and said you act like you doing that ish on purpose, and the white guys just sort of had a sarcastic chuckle. I've seen it on the Riverdale express buses too, esp. the BxM1 which usually has no blacks on it at all when I take it or maybe one or two at the most. Then again the same could be said for the BxM2 and BxM18 for the most part though you may get one here or there getting off in Kingsbridge. We had a few blacks get on Kingsbridge and the whole bus went into shock like they've never seen blacks before. LOL With the Riverdale express buses, some of the folks that get on are really lost though because they don't take the express buses like that (can't afford to).

As for Port Richmond, I always hear that. Folks talk about how it used to be a main part of Staten Island and now if folks go there, they run in and out via car. That famous pizza joint is still there, but they always go and say it's a shame how Port Richmond has changed (one of those there goes the neighborhood type of comments lol). They can thank the developers of the SI Mall for that. <_<

On the S59 though, I'm sure there were other Latinos riding, so what was their reaction??

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

As for Port Richmond, I always hear that. Folks talk about how it used to be a main important part of Staten Island and now if folks go there, they run in and out via car. That famous pizza joint is still there, but they always go and say it's a shame how Port Richmond has changed (one of those there goes the neighborhood type of comments lol). They can thank the developers of the SI Mall for that. <_<

And don't forget the abandonment of the North Shore Rail Line didn't help. Like I said, there are still nice sections, especially in the southern part. Port Richmond Avenue is mostly run-down, but most of the side streets are still alright. Now north of say, Post Avenue is where it starts to get sketchy all around (But still, a lot of homes look nice, but you could kind of tell something's up)

And don't forget Ralph's Ices. I remember pulling up on the S44 a few times and seeing a ton of people waiting in line and I'm like "Oh, crap, don't tell me we're going to get a flood of people", and then I realized that they were all waiting in line for an ices (actually, one of those times, nobody was getting on, so we missed the light for nothing. :angry: Well, I caught my S53, so all's well that ends well

And don't forget the abandonment of the North Shore Rail Line didn't help. Like I said, there are still nice sections, especially in the southern part. Port Richmond Avenue is mostly run-down, but most of the side streets are still alright. Now north of say, Post Avenue is where it starts to get sketchy all around (But still, a lot of homes look nice, but you could kind of tell something's up)

And don't forget Ralph's Ices. I remember pulling up on the S44 a few times and seeing a ton of people waiting in line and I'm like "Oh, crap, don't tell me we're going to get a flood of people", and then I realized that they were all waiting in line for an ices (actually, one of those times, nobody was getting on, so we missed the light for nothing. :angry: Well, I caught my S53, so all's well that ends well

Denino's is the place I was referring to. I've never went there but everybody raves about the place. It's the only reason some folks step foot in Port Richmond. I'll say this though... If the Mexicans didn't set up shop there, Port Richmond Avenue would be even more of a dump than it is now. Funny thing is it isn't only the whites that are pissed, but the blacks too. They're up and arms because they feel like Port Richmond is their neighborhood and the Mexicans came in and took over. lol I would have to think that several bus routes wouldn't be running to Port Richmond or wouldn't run there as frequently had the Mexicans and other Central Americans not moved there.

On the S59 though, I'm sure there were other Latinos riding, so what was their reaction??

Believe it or not, there weren't a whole lot of Latinos. The thing is that that particular run is used by a lot of students from my school, and the zoning extends into New Springville, so there were actually a lot of White kids. Of course, there were a few Latinos, but since she wasn't speaking directly to any of us (come to think about it, I don't know who she was talking to, she she was probably un poco loco (Or muy loco) :blink: , so we didn't bother saying anything.

Denino's is the place I was referring to. I've never went there but everybody raves about the place. It's the only reason some folks step foot in Port Richmond. I'll say this though... If the Mexicans didn't set up shop there, Port Richmond Avenue would be even more of a dump than it is now. Funny thing is it isn't only the whites that are pissed, but the blacks too. They're up and arms because they feel like Port Richmond is their neighborhood and the Mexicans came in and took over. lol I would have to think that several bus routes wouldn't be running to Port Richmond or wouldn't run there as frequently had the Mexicans and other Central Americans not moved there.

Well, Ralph's is the first food place I think of when I think of Port Richmond (and judging by those lines, so do a lot of other people), so I was just pointing that out. Yeah, I've heard of Denino's and there's also Brother's by Port Richmond & Forest.

And the second comment reminds me of the time when I was explaining to a friend where she had to go to pick up the bus (she thought she had to go all the way up to Richmond Terrace, and I explained she could pick it up on Castleton Avenue. I think it was the S53). But anyway, a Black girl overheard us and she's like "Oh, yeah, it's where all the Mexicans live". I doubt it was any kind of resentment or anything, but it's interesting to think that some of the residents think like that.

Believe it or not, there weren't a whole lot of Latinos. The thing is that that particular run is used by a lot of students from my school, and the zoning extends into New Springville, so there were actually a lot of White kids. Of course, there were a few Latinos, but since she wasn't speaking directly to any of us (come to think about it, I don't know who she was talking to, she she was probably un poco loco (Or muy loco) :blink: , so we didn't bother saying anything.

That explains it then because usually around say Forest & Richmond Avenue if you see an S59 there are quite a few Latinos on board. I actually had to make a stop over near Shop Rite one morning. Got car service there and then realized after running my errand that I had just missed an X10 so seeing how long car service would've taken I just jumped on the first local bus which was an S59 and everyone was looking at me like I was a fish out of water. Tends to be that way with the local bus riders when they see express bus riders. I took it down to the X17J and just stood near the front. A few other folks got on and they did the same thing. It was clear who were express bus riders though because they didn't want to mingle with the local bus riders. lol

Well, Ralph's is the first food place I think of when I think of Port Richmond (and judging by those lines, so do a lot of other people), so I was just pointing that out. Yeah, I've heard of Denino's and there's also Brother's by Port Richmond & Forest.

And the second comment reminds me of the time when I was explaining to a friend where she had to go to pick up the bus (she thought she had to go all the way up to Richmond Terrace, and I explained she could pick it up on Castleton Avenue. I think it was the S53). But anyway, a Black girl overheard us and she's like "Oh, yeah, it's where all the Mexicans live". I doubt it was any kind of resentment or anything, but it's interesting to think that some of the residents think like that.

Well I believe Denino's is the most famous and it's been around perhaps before the others in that area (going back to when Port Richmond wasn't a dump :lol: ), but I've heard of the other two as well. Me personally I used to order from Pat & Joe's on Victory & Manor. It wasn't high end per se, but acceptable for take out food on Staten Island, though a bit pricey even by my standards, but most of everything was good. The smell of food used to hit my nose as soon as I crossed the street from the X12 at night and I was usually starving after leaving the office. Loved their cheesecake and tiramisù especially and the mussels were pretty good too along with their paninos. Can't speak on their pizza though. I'm very picky about my pizza and pasta and for pasta esp., I'll go to high end Italian places in the city that import the ingredients direct from Italy. Those authentic Italian places run by Italians from the old country... Best of all I get great service too. :P I like Pat & Joe's because I believe the owners were from Italy so the food was pretty decent overall except for the broccoli rabe.... The worse broccoli rabe I've had in my life. <_<

lol@second comment... I will say that the S53 is more civilized when it is mainly Mexicans on it and not those little teenage punks making a ish load of noise. The Mexicans some of them may be drunk or whatever, but they usually just look and maybe yack in Spanish a bit, but usually nothing more than that.

1) That explains it then because usually around say Forest & Richmond Avenue if you see an S59 there are quite a few Latinos on board. I actually had to make a stop over near Shop Rite one morning. Got car service there and then realized after running my errand that I had just missed an X10 so seeing how long car service would've taken I just jumped on the first local bus which was an S59 and everyone was looking at me like I was a fish out of water. Tends to be that way with the local bus riders when they see express bus riders. I took it down to the X17J and just stood near the front. A few other folks got on and they did the same thing. It was clear who were express bus riders though because they didn't want to mingle with the local bus riders. lol

2) Well I believe Denino's is the most famous and it's been around perhaps before the others in that area (going back to when Port Richmond wasn't a dump :lol: ), but I've heard of the other two as well. Me personally I used to order from Pat & Joe's on Victory & Manor. It wasn't high end per se, but acceptable for take out food on Staten Island, though a bit pricey even by my standards, but most of everything was good. The smell of food used to hit my nose as soon as I crossed the street from the X12 at night and I was usually starving after leaving the office. Loved their cheesecake and tiramisù especially and the mussels were pretty good too along with their paninos. Can't speak on their pizza though. I'm very picky about my pizza and pasta and for pasta esp., I'll go to high end Italian places in the city that import the ingredients direct from Italy. Those authentic Italian places run by Italians from the old country... Best of all I get great service too. :P I like Pat & Joe's because I believe the owners were from Italy so the food was pretty decent overall except for the broccoli rabe.... The worse broccoli rabe I've had in my life. <_<

lol@second comment... I will say that the S53 is more civilized when it is mainly Mexicans on it and not those little teenage punks making a ish load of noise. The Mexicans some of them may be drunk or whatever, but they usually just look and maybe yack in Spanish a bit, but usually nothing more than that.

1) Well, there was one time when literally everybody on the bus (except the driver) was Latino (and the S44 must've been delayed because that bus was almost full to the back. It usually doesn't get like that during the PM rush). I mean, that was just one time, though. Usually it's more diverse, at least up to Forest Avenue. I don't really pay attention (and usually I prefer the S44 anyway), but north of there is probably mostly Latino (or at least majority Latino)

As for the express vs. local riders, I usually don't see any difference. I mean, I've waited at Forest & Richmond plenty of times, and there's really no difference between the ones waiting for the X10 and the ones waiting for a local bus, at least from what I've seen. I mean, yeah, occasionally there's a guy with a suit and tie (usually in the morning rush, when you have the X12/42 as well and people are going to work), compared to the rest of the express riders who are just wearing normal clothes, but overall, there's really no difference. I mean, they're going to their destination, and we're going to ours. (I mean, for me, I could take the X10 first if it came, but obviously I'm not paying $5.50 when I have a free transfer on my Student MetroCard)

When I wait for the bus to school, I usually stand apart from the express riders, but that's more so the driver of the local bus sees me if a local and express bus come in at the same time. There were times when it was just me and one of the other regular express riders and we'd chat a little bit, and sometimes they'd hold the bus for me if they saw me running (and vice versa for them, though since the X17J comes like water, that isn't as much of a problem)

2) Well, I don't eat out much, but I've kind of wanted to try out one of the Latino food places in Port Richmond. I haven't really gotten a chance to do so, but maybe one day after school, I'll do it. I just have to get up the willpower to fork over the money. :P Well, I'd get better value going to one of those places compared to the overpriced deli next to my school. I don't see how that place stays so crowded before and after school hours. :wacko: Some of my friends waited like 20 minutes to get their food and in the meantime, they could've walked the other way to Morningstar Road, picked up something, and been back. Half the time and (more importantly :D ) half the price.

As far as the S53 goes, yeah, it's generally alright.

1) Well, there was one time when literally everybody on the bus (except the driver) was Latino (and the S44 must've been delayed because that bus was almost full to the back. It usually doesn't get like that during the PM rush). I mean, that was just one time, though. Usually it's more diverse, at least up to Forest Avenue. I don't really pay attention (and usually I prefer the S44 anyway), but north of there is probably mostly Latino (or at least majority Latino)

As for the express vs. local riders, I usually don't see any difference. I mean, I've waited at Forest & Richmond plenty of times, and there's really no difference between the ones waiting for the X10 and the ones waiting for a local bus, at least from what I've seen. I mean, yeah, occasionally there's a guy with a suit and tie (usually in the morning rush, when you have the X12/42 as well and people are going to work), compared to the rest of the express riders who are just wearing normal clothes, but overall, there's really no difference. I mean, they're going to their destination, and we're going to ours. (I mean, for me, I could take the X10 first if it came, but obviously I'm not paying $5.50 when I have a free transfer on my Student MetroCard)

When I wait for the bus to school, I usually stand apart from the express riders, but that's more so the driver of the local bus sees me if a local and express bus come in at the same time. There were times when it was just me and one of the other regular express riders and we'd chat a little bit, and sometimes they'd hold the bus for me if they saw me running (and vice versa for them, though since the X17J comes like water, that isn't as much of a problem)

Well in that neck of the woods there usually isn't much of a difference. At my stop on Forest it was usually just me and maybe another express bus rider in the morning. Once in a blue moon we'd have one or two local bus riders, but in my area most folks probably just drove to the ferry or drove to work so it made sense. In Riverdale for example there most certainly is a difference. I see the folks with their Saks and Bloomingdale's bags and such, though at 236th & Riverdale, some of the local bus riders don't look too slovenly. I think it's funny to see more express bus riders at some stops than local bus riders (239th & Henry Hudson Parkway is one of them). You'll have one or two nannies waiting there with the stroller to see the mother get on the express bus which I never saw on Staten Island. I would say that Riverdale has more suit & tie types, though a lot of them dress down as well, though overall the women dress better than the men except for moi of course. :P

2) Well, I don't eat out much, but I've kind of wanted to try out one of the Latino food places in Port Richmond. I haven't really gotten a chance to do so, but maybe one day after school, I'll do it. I just have to get up the willpower to fork over the money. :P Well, I'd get better value going to one of those places compared to the overpriced deli next to my school. I don't see how that place stays so crowded before and after school hours. :wacko: Some of my friends waited like 20 minutes to get their food and in the meantime, they could've walked the other way to Morningstar Road, picked up something, and been back. Half the time and (more importantly :D ) half the price.

As far as the S53 goes, yeah, it's generally alright.

LMAO.... Well you'd have a heart attack if you saw what I spend for food everyday. :lol: Here in Riverdale I could pick up my food from most of the places I order from since I'm only about 4 short blocks coming from Riverdale and 236th but I don't bother. Greek express has a $15.00 minimum for delivery so there I'll order $15.00 - 20.00 worth of food (most of the stuff I really like on the menu is $5.00 and up) and give a $4 tip (about half of what I used to spend on take out compared to say Pat & Joe's). If you eat at one of those Mexican spots, I'm sure you could get plenty of food for even $5.00.

B38 today was a PITA to ride on, crowded, and some people didn't know the meaning of personal space.

lol... Local buses are always like that. Any sort of crowd just gives folks the green light to do everything they can to find a way to bang into you or have their crappy bag bang into you or touch you. Had that crap on the Q32 today going to pick up my lunch up on Madison in the 50s. Wasn't even that crowded either.

lol... Local buses are always like that. Any sort of crowd just gives folks the green light to do everything they can to find a way to bang into you. Had that crap on the Q32 today going to pick up my lunch up on Madison in the 50s. Wasn't even that crowded either.

I had my bag on my back, it's huge. She stands right behind me, forcing me to stand in a bent position to avoid bumping into her. Then, she pushes me, and dosen't acknowledge my WTF look and my "Excuse me?"

I had my bag on my back, it's huge. She stands right behind me, forcing me to stand in a bent position to avoid bumping into her. Then, she pushes me, and dosen't acknowledge my WTF look and my "Excuse me?"

LOL... I had this lady once on the S53 one morning... Asian lady... I'm standing by the door there on one of those NOVA buses or a 3G and anywho no one is near me and my stop is coming up for me to transfer to the X15. She starts talking about "excuse me!??" and I just ignored her since I was the closest one to the door and then she says it again and bangs into me trying to get around me (which was almost impossible since I was standing right in front of the door), so I looked at her and said I'm getting off too and she goes "oh yeah?" like she was surprised that I was getting off there, but she didn't I was transferring to the express bus and then I said "Yeah, now stop banging into me!!" <_< I'll admit I'm like a bulldog on those local buses. I demand my space otherwise those folks will just bang into you like nothing. The Madison Avenue buses tend to be a bit more civilized in Midtown though you have a few rude morons on those lines too. I've been using the SI buses enough that I'm sure some of them have seen me transfer to the express buses, so they already know where I'm getting off at and they also know that I can get very nasty from past experiences.

LOL... I had this lady once on the S53 one morning... Asian lady... I'm standing by the door there on one of those NOVA buses or a 3G and anywho no one is near me and my stop is coming up for me to transfer to the X15. She starts talking about "excuse me!??" and I just ignored her since I was the closest one to the door and then she says it again and bangs into me trying to get around me (which was almost impossible since I was standing right in front of the door), so I looked at her and said I'm getting off too and she goes "oh yeah?" like she was surprised that I was getting off there, but she didn't I was transferring to the express bus and then I said "Yeah, now stop banging into me!!" <_< I'll admit I'm like a bulldog on those local buses. I demand my space otherwise those folks will just bang into you like nothing. The Madison Avenue buses tend to be a bit more civilized in Midtown though you have a few rude morons on those lines too. I've been using the SI buses enough that I'm sure some of them have seen me transfer to the express buses, so they already know where I'm getting off at and they also know that I can get very nasty from past experiences.

If the world had at least 50% less a-holes, the world would be a better place...

Anyway, when we got to Classon & Dekalb, there are these annoying a** kids who always get on through the back. People were trying to get off, but the driver, obviously trying to prevent them from farebeating, kept the back doors locked. Too bad for those people, 'cause it was a LTD, next stop was Vanderbilt... :o

LMAO.... Well you'd have a heart attack if you saw what I spend for food everyday. :lol: Here in Riverdale I could pick up my food from most of the places I order from since I'm only about 4 short blocks coming from Riverdale and 236th but I don't bother. Greek express has a $15.00 minimum for delivery so there I'll order $15.00 - 20.00 worth of food (most of the stuff I really like on the menu is $5.00 and up) and give a $4 tip (about half of what I used to spend on take out compared to say Pat & Joe's). If you eat at one of those Mexican spots, I'm sure you could get plenty of food for even $5.00.

I remember freshman year, we had to do a project with kids from Wagner College to compare the area around the college to the area around the high school. Some of the kids from Wagner College went to Port Richmond to actually check it out (to make the report more interesting, instead of just using stats), and some of the college students decided to do their entire grocery shopping up there, because the prices were cheaper. (Some of them actually said that they'd do all their grocery shopping there from then on).

I mean, me personally, I don't think you'll get a much beter deal there compared to a regular supermarket (I mean, I see some of the signs in the stores advertising prices for cold cuts and orange juice and things like that, and they're basically the same prices that you'd see at ShopRite).

As far as the restaurants go, it's probably a better deal than McDonald's or another fast food place, plus it's a little more authentic. I wonder what the prices at the Peruvian place were like. My parents took out some food from there once, but they didn't tell me the price.

Whenever I stand on a bus, I try to put the bag between my legs so it takes up less room.

Anyway, when we got to Classon & Dekalb, there are these annoying a** kids who always get on through the back. People were trying to get off, but the driver, obviously trying to prevent them from farebeating, kept the back doors locked. Too bad for those people, 'cause it was a LTD, next stop was Vanderbilt... :o

Were the people on the bus able to get off.

Orion V 128 has to be the WORST bus ever. I rode it on the Q53 from woodside to Queens Center Mall. Not only was it slow, the bus felt like it had a flat tire and when idling it felt as someone was bumping the side of the bus. Also, the bars were missing that went over the sheild of the engine (between the 2 pairs of seats in the very back), and the bus was all dirty. To make things worse, the door system keep failing (when the driver closed the front door, the back door would be stuck open and he'd have to reopen and close the doors), and traffic was bad. I really should have taken the subway instead!

The only good thing about that bus was that the engine sounded pretty good, like a strong DDS engine.

I saw 5888 the other day on the M101, the rear sign is already broken (half the sign is dark).

1. Best Rice & Beans place is over on Broadway & 160th(?).

2. Rode a J4500 today..... Makes the D4500 look even worse.

3. Stuck with the god awful D4500 today.... At least the J4500 made up for it.

Edited by CDTA

Orion V 128 has to be the WORST bus ever. I rode it on the Q53 from woodside to Queens Center Mall. Not only was it slow, the bus felt like it had a flat tire and when idling it felt as someone was bumping the side of the bus. Also, the bars were missing that went over the sheild of the engine (between the 2 pairs of seats in the very back), and the bus was all dirty. To make things worse, the door system keep failing (when the driver closed the front door, the back door would be stuck open and he'd have to reopen and close the doors), and traffic was bad. I really should have taken the subway instead!

The only good thing about that bus was that the engine sounded pretty good, like a strong DDS engine.

I saw 5888 the other day on the M101, the rear sign is already broken (half the sign is dark).

LOL... If I have the correct bus in mind I saw that bus recently while on the BxM1 and saw bird crap all over it. Not off to a good start that's for sure. :lol:

The sign probably wasn't broken; most likely the sign was in "resting" mode so that it lasts longer.

The sign probably wasn't broken; most likely the sign was in "resting" mode so that it lasts longer.

Some of them are breaking though, I think it was 5842 I saw out of Quill, the sign is completely broken on the door side.