BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The left side is only a blind spot if the operator isn't properly moving their head and shuffling in their seat, as they are trained to do.

100% true. being a mechanic, i don't drive as much as an operator, but I've never been in a situation where i couldn't see something in my roadside mirror because i lean into them like i was taught.

100% true. being a mechanic, i don't drive as much as an operator, but I've never been in a situation where i couldn't see something in my roadside mirror because i lean into them like i was taught.

And hopefully this will shut everyone up that keeps yelling about this whole blind spot nonsense.  If it was that serious I would think that the (MTA) would've done something about it by now to avoid any lawsuits.  Too much risk involved.

Alright, my reviews on the 2015 New Flyer XD40s and Prevost X3-45s.

XD40s- I like how the bus # is all over the bus, on the 4800s you never saw what bus you was on. I like how the rear door is fully glass now, makes it match with the front door. I don't the fact that they removed the sunroof that was in the back. I also noticed that they spaced out the last row, so that your not on top of each other. Ride wise, they ride very good so far. They feel pretty solid, however, they have the slowest takeoff of any new bus I've ever been on. The transmission sounds terrible, and I think the LBSS on these is worst than the 4800s. 

X3-45s- These buses are amazing. They did something with the seats because they feel more comfortable than the 2400s. I love the new rear design these buses have. It matches the current fleet with the vertical tail lights, and looks great (makes the bus look more sleek). These buses have some pretty fast takeoffs, although I think the 2400s are a bit faster. The ride quality on these things are fantastic, I can literally fall asleep on a night ride. One thing that I hate is that loud Stop Requested bell. It's pretty annoying and I've overheard people complaining about it. It sounds like the sound plays through the speakers on the bus so if your in the back you can hear it over your head. 

Waiting for these new LFSs to come in, as I can't wait to ride them on the S79. I've noticed these new signs being placed on the LFSAs for SBS, I've read about it in another thread. I saw it was about 2xx LFSAs and about 3x NGs. Why are the NGs getting them if the new LFSs will be coming soon? Doesn't it seem like a waste?

This is new....

Service Change  Posted: 06/18/2015 10:02PM 

B13 buses are detoured due to sink hole on 62 St between 75 Av and Myrtle Av.

Detour is as follows:

Northbound: Via Cooper Av stay on Cooper Av, right on 60 Lane, left on 75 Av, right on Decatur St, right on Myrtle Av, left on Fresh Pond Rd and regular route.

Allow additional travel time

and i also forgot to add the service variable  thanks to this law kneecaping bus service buses are now running later and this is your result....

Can you maybe grow up already? These posts are seriously annoying and dumb.

No law is kneecapping service. It's petulant drivers driving extra slow because the city dared ask them to not be reckless behind the wheel.

Alright, my reviews on the 2015 New Flyer XD40s and Prevost X3-45s.

XD40s- I like how the bus # is all over the bus, on the 4800s you never saw what bus you was on. I like how the rear door is fully glass now, makes it match with the front door. I don't the fact that they removed the sunroof that was in the back. I also noticed that they spaced out the last row, so that your not on top of each other. Ride wise, they ride very good so far. They feel pretty solid, however, they have the slowest takeoff of any new bus I've ever been on. The transmission sounds terrible, and I think the LBSS on these is worst than the 4800s. 

X3-45s- These buses are amazing. They did something with the seats because they feel more comfortable than the 2400s. I love the new rear design these buses have. It matches the current fleet with the vertical tail lights, and looks great (makes the bus look more sleek). These buses have some pretty fast takeoffs, although I think the 2400s are a bit faster. The ride quality on these things are fantastic, I can literally fall asleep on a night ride. One thing that I hate is that loud Stop Requested bell. It's pretty annoying and I've overheard people complaining about it. It sounds like the sound plays through the speakers on the bus so if your in the back you can hear it over your head. 

Waiting for these new LFSs to come in, as I can't wait to ride them on the S79. I've noticed these new signs being placed on the LFSAs for SBS, I've read about it in another thread. I saw it was about 2xx LFSAs and about 3x NGs. Why are the NGs getting them if the new LFSs will be coming soon? Doesn't it seem like a waste?

Just a few nitpicks if you don't mind.

On the 4800s, the sunroof was removed because they used to leak.....a whole lot, especially on heavily rainy days or on days when it snowed and it would melt into the bus. I actually don't think the takeoff on the 7000s are that slow. They're actually pretty quick, faster than what the 4800s did when they took off with LBSS.

As for the Prevost, that stop request bell is so annoyingly loud, scared the hell outta me a few times. As for the seats, they're new. Let them break in for a few months, they won't be the same lol.

As for the signs, it's not a waste for the NGs to get them considering that it will take Yukon around 4-6 months(maybe less) to even receive their LFSs. They also want to start diversifying the SBS buses so they can get the soon-to-be new programs up and running, so people don't complain about not being able to tell the difference between a local bus from an SBS bus(which is a complaint among M15 SBS riders).

You should probably keep an eye on the B82, 8090 may pop up on it.

All the 6 Ave QM- Express buses are going up Madison today until 6 PM. That's gonna be fun....

Also, what are they doing in the QM Tunnel that the south tube is closed on weekends? It's been like that for almost a month now. 

Actually that is not correct. That so called parade either never happened or ended early. Stopped by Maison Kayser, then went over to 6th and 35th to ensure I got the BxM2 and everything was running up 6th despite the signs and the detour info the (MTA) put up.  <_<

Actually that is not correct. That so called parade either never happened or ended early. Stopped by Maison Kayser, then went over to 6th and 35th to ensure I got the BxM2 and everything was running up 6th despite the signs and the detour info the (MTA) put up.  <_<

When I took the bus around 4:20 PM, it ran up Madison, and buses were laid up on Madison and entering service on Madison. I don't know what time you took the bus though. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other words, I lost my transfer because the bus was too damn late, and I gave myself a 30 minute window for delay, which is when the transfer would expire (due to whatever the hell they're doing in the south tube of the QMT, which hopefully ends soon), so the machine deducted the remaining $4.50 balance on my card (I usually buy the $10.00 cards to use on the weekends at the store). Gonna have to start taking the late inbound QM15's instead, the outbound BM5's should be more reliable during those hours, and even if late by 10 minutes (which it was today from using bustime), I'll still retain the transfer. 

Can't wait until that QMT bullshit is done, really messes with my commute. They don't even mention why that's happening too. It would be nice to know at least the reasoning behind it.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

When I took the bus around 4:20 PM, it ran up Madison, and buses were laid up on Madison and entering service on Madison. I don't know what time you took the bus though. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other words, I lost my transfer because the bus was too damn late, and I gave myself a 30 minute window for delay, which is when the transfer would expire (due to whatever the hell they're doing in the south tube of the QMT, which hopefully ends soon), so the machine deducted the remaining $4.50 balance on my card (I usually buy the $10.00 cards to use on the weekends at the store). Gonna have to start taking the late inbound QM15's instead, the outbound BM5's should be more reliable during those hours, and even if late by 10 minutes (which it was today from using bustime), I'll still retain the transfer. 

Can't wait until that QMT bullshit is done, really messes with my commute. They don't even mention why that's happening too. It would be nice to know at least the reasoning behind it.

i think i might have your clue from the mta service advisory tab 

Planned work: At the Queens Midtown Tunnel, the South tube will be closed from 10:30 pm June 19th through 05:30 am June 22nd. One lane will be open in each direction for cars and buses. During this time Queens-bound motorists should enter the tunnel at 34th Street between Second and Third avenues. Manhattan bound motorists can exit normally, or use the Marginal tunnel exit to 38th Street and then continue on to Second Avenue. The 34th Street and Second Avenue ramps will be closed to traffic exiting in Manhattan. All other commercial traffic must use alternate routes. 

there's also delays on the qm express routes regarding the QMT

Edited by BreeddekalbL

I got the 15:50 BxM2.  The bus went straight up 6th and the M5 and M7 were doing the same thing despite the signs at the stops.  I thought about just staying at 40th and 6th but I didn't want to chance it and have the bus go up 8th. The QMT is just general maintenance.  Same thing that they do with the Battery Tunnel on many weekends and it is a PITA, but not much you can do. The thinking is that traffic is lighter during the summer which will allow them to work then.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I have a question, not trying to start anything or wish upon anything, but, how come the LFS don't have the front roof part like the LFSAs? I noticed CTAs new LFS have it.

from what i heard, the roof cap was added to the LFSA's for aerodynamic reasons. It guides the air over HVAC unit on the roof in the center of the bus. Without it, the center of the bus would wiggle excessively at highway speeds because of the lack of weight. The rigid LFS did not need the cap. Edited by Blitz

" (MTA) bus simulator helps driver trainees"

BROOKLYN - Bus drivers journey along New York City roads and make sure riders are safe as they get from place to place, but little is known about what it takes to become an (MTA) bus driver.

At the Zerega Avenue (MTA) Maintenance and Training Center, Rich Cerezo guides drivers through all of the "what ifs."

Before drivers get in gear, Vision Zero training kicks in, starting with working the driver's seat.

Source video: http://brooklyn.news12.com/news/mta-bus-simulator-helps-driver-trainees-1.10558639

Didn't bother to create new topic since it's very short.

Edited by Q113 LTD

" (MTA) bus simulator helps driver trainees"

BROOKLYN - Bus drivers journey along New York City roads and make sure riders are safe as they get from place to place, but little is known about what it takes to become an (MTA) bus driver.

At the Zerega Avenue (MTA) Maintenance and Training Center, Rich Cerezo guides drivers through all of the "what ifs."

Before drivers get in gear, Vision Zero training kicks in, starting with working the driver's seat.

Source video: http://brooklyn.news12.com/news/mta-bus-simulator-helps-driver-trainees-1.10558639

Didn't bother to create new topic since it's very short.

Post the entire topic, otherwise others can't see it unless they're subscribed to this dumb Optimum service.

Been waiting for a Rego Park Q59 since 7:40 PM from Broadway/Driggs. Ive seen Willy-B bound 59's arrive, but not a single one has gone back to Rego Park (as Im typing, another Willy-B bound bus is just passed by. This makes either the 3rd or 4th Willy-B bound 59 Ive seem pass. This shit is ridiculous and should not be happening. Theres also one bus on the entire Q59 line right now, in Queens.

Been waiting for a Rego Park Q59 since 7:40 PM from Broadway/Driggs. Ive seen Willy-B bound 59's arrive, but not a single one has gone back to Rego Park (as Im typing, another Willy-B bound bus is just passed by. This makes either the 3rd or 4th Willy-B bound 59 Ive seem pass. This shit is ridiculous and should not be happening. Theres also one bus on the entire Q59 line right now, in Queens.

Can't rely on bustime to give an accurate number of buses on a line.

Can't rely on bustime to give an accurate number of buses on a line.

I know that, but if there hasnt been a bus in over an hour, they most probably wouldnt be pulling out of the Rego Park side. If I knew this was gonna happen I woildve taken the (M) to the Q38 which is slightly longer due to waiting tome for the Q38. Still,I shouldn't have to be waiting for the bus for that long.

EDIT: Finally got on the bus after a 1hr 9 minute wait.Smh...

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I know that, but if there hasnt been a bus in over an hour, they most probably wouldnt be pulling out of the Rego Park side. If I knew this was gonna happen I woildve taken the (M) to the Q38 which is slightly longer due to waiting tome for the Q38. Still,I shoildnt have to be waiting for the bus for that long.

Man, you should have stuck to your guns/gut & went with the Q38.... It's actually more reliable than the Q59....

Once upon a time, I used to like to fan that route.... Not anymore.

Reliability on the Q59 (for whatever the reason, and I don't when it started all of a sudden, but it) has drastically gotten worse; I'm talking about during the weekday as well.... Seems to me that buses don't follow a schedule & arrive whenever the hell they want.... I get the sense that b/o's know that the Q54 is the primary sought after route on the Brooklyn end & the Q58 is the more sought after route on the Queens end, so b/o's are just doing whatever these days to get from terminal to terminal on their watch....

I don't even wanna get into the last Q59 I took some months back.... I'm not one to report b/o's, but let's just say that driver could have killed somebody the way he was handling that bus.... Now I don't mind a leadfoot vet every now & then, but leadfoot rookies scare the shit out of me.... That kid looked to be in his early 20's....

In any event, Williamsburg patrons basically shunning the Q59 should tell you something.... That wasn't always the case... I don't know what's up with the Q59....