BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delays  Posted: 06/22/2015  8:03PM 

Q28 and Q32 buses are running with delays in both directions, due to a vehicular accident on 32 Av and Jordan St.

Allow additional travel time.

The Q28 and Q32 run no where near each other.... It should be the Q31. Typical (MTA)

Man, you should have stuck to your guns/gut & went with the Q38.... It's actually more reliable than the Q59....

Once upon a time, I used to like to fan that route.... Not anymore.

Reliability on the Q59 (for whatever the reason, and I don't when it started all of a sudden, but it) has drastically gotten worse; I'm talking about during the weekday as well.... Seems to me that buses don't follow a schedule & arrive whenever the hell they want.... I get the sense that b/o's know that the Q54 is the primary sought after route on the Brooklyn end & the Q58 is the more sought after route on the Queens end, so b/o's are just doing whatever these days to get from terminal to terminal on their watch....

I don't even wanna get into the last Q59 I took some months back.... I'm not one to report b/o's, but let's just say that driver could have killed somebody the way he was handling that bus.... Now I don't mind a leadfoot vet every now & then, but leadfoot rookies scare the shit out of me.... That kid looked to be in his early 20's....

In any event, Williamsburg patrons basically shunning the Q59 should tell you something.... That wasn't always the case... I don't know what's up with the Q59....

Unfortunately, that is looking like the case, and it sucks for the riders (like me) who need to get from one side of the 59 to the other. From what I noticed yesterday after arriving home, was that buses were being sent to Rego Park without doing a trip from Willy-B. Two buses did this; I remember seeing two specific buses going to WBP, and then never came back to make a Rego Park trip.It sucks when the bus runs every 30 minutes (essentially, there was like a complete 86 minute gap because of this). The Q38 runs every 30 minutes, so I didn't want to risk missing the bus and waiting 30 minutes, whereas the Q59 gets me to my stop within 40 minutes time.

I take the Q59 during the weekends for the most part, and have always never seen the 7:43 bus out of Driggs ever pass, but to not have that, and the 8:13 not show up, and the 8:43 to show up late took the case (there was apparently an 86 minute gap because buses went back to Rego Park as a DH).

The thing that deterred me from going back too was the distance from Driggs to the (J). If I were to walk all the way back, and then see the Q59 pull out, I basically (further) elongated my commute. I'm never too certain, and that always seems to happen for some reason with me. I also wish they can finish with the construction. Sick and tired of walking to Driggs, and then being uncertain if the bus will show up or not, or will I miss it because I decided to go back, or save myself from the doubt and take the train. Things would be so much easier if only the Q59 still stopped at Roebling.  

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I've noticed on some of NGs, the S79SBS displays "STATEN IS MALL" on the front destination sign instead of "SI MALL".

The Next Gens from Yukon (+Select) group is also getting the Luminator Spectrum signs just like Flatbush NovaBus LFSAs

I figured it had something to do with that.

The Next Gens from Yukon (+Select) group is also getting the Luminator Spectrum signs just like Flatbush NovaBus LFSAs

They're not re-doing all of the buses are they?  Yesterday my BxM18's signage was a little hard to read, but I'm sure it will be fixed quickly.  I thought about this older guy (snob type that rides the BxM2 when coming back from Lincoln Center shows).  The bus pulls up to Broadway and 63rd and the sign was out (first time I've ever seen a Yonkers express bus like that).  I was able to track the bus so I knew it was a BxM2 despite there being no signage anywhere and the guy got on bewildered and in shock saying to the B/O "There's no sign anywhere!!???!!" I had to chuckle to myself because I've seen that plenty of times on SI express buses, but it wouldn't be acceptable on a Riverdale express bus.  :lol:

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

They're not re-doing all of the buses are they?  Yesterday my BxM18's signage was a little hard to read, but I'm sure it will be fixed quickly.  I thought about this older guy (snob type that rides the BxM2 when coming back from Lincoln Center shows).  The bus pulls up to Broadway and 63rd and the sign was out (first time I've ever seen a Yonkers express bus like that).  I was able to track the bus so I knew it was a BxM2 despite there being no signage anywhere and the guy got on bewildered and in shock saying to the B/O "There's no sign anywhere!!???!!" I had to chuckle to myself because I've seen that plenty of times on SI express buses, but it wouldn't be acceptable on a Riverdale express bus.  :lol:

Just the SBS fleet.

They're not re-doing all of the buses are they? Yesterday my BxM18's signage was a little hard to read, but I'm sure it will be fixed quickly. I thought about this older guy (snob type that rides the BxM2 when coming back from Lincoln Center shows). The bus pulls up to Broadway and 63rd and the sign was out (first time I've ever seen a Yonkers express bus like that). I was able to track the bus so I knew it was a BxM2 despite there being no signage anywhere and the guy got on bewildered and in shock saying to the B/O "There's no sign anywhere!!???!!" I had to chuckle to myself because I've seen that plenty of times on SI express buses, but it wouldn't be acceptable on a Riverdale express bus. :lol:

Nope just the SI NGs used for SBS, and most of the LFSAs

While I didnt expect to see this many riders today on the 8:15 PM QM15 to Lindenwood, there sure are a lot. I'm on the bus right now and theres 50 people on the bus right now. Better than some of those rush hour buses, to be honest. A few more riders and we wouldve had standees.

Be happy for Lindenwood and Howard Beach... Howard Beach esp... That affluent area helps keep ridership up on the QM15.  Those folks are not using the subway... Similar to Staten Island express bus riders.  They see the bus as safe with mainly folks from their neighborhood.

Be happy for Lindenwood and Howard Beach... Howard Beach esp... That affluent area helps keep ridership up on the QM15.  Those folks are not using the subway... Similar to Staten Island express bus riders.  They see the bus as safe with mainly folks from their neighborhood.

Will you STFU about how they're "not using the subway" in those places? More people using the (A) than the express bus in Howard Beach I can tell you that for sure. More people on the QM15 seem to get off along Woodhaven in the places away from the trains.

Not everyone is a paranoid racist snob afraid of public transportation.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Will you STFU about how they're "not using the subway" in those places? More people using the (A) than the express bus in Howard Beach I can tell you that for sure. More people on the QM15 seem to get off along Woodhaven in the places away from the trains.

Not everyone is a paranoid racist snob afraid of public transportation.

Well they aren't.  Deep into Lindenwood and Howard Beach, the QM15 is the easier option.  The prime parts of Howard Beach don't have a subway and those folks will either use the QM15 or QM16.  

The new bus timetables are going up on the MTA website...

I love using the Bx12 during the weekends this time of year, the local is more frequent during summer weekends than the weekdays, let alone winter weekends. And since the runs are picked, bidded on and assigned as regular runs, they (for the most part) run rain or shine whether people are going to Orchard or not.

PS: M86 SBS schedules are at http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/manh/m086scur.pdf but not listed on the website yet.

Edited by paulrivera

I love using the Bx12 during the weekends this time of year, the local is more frequent during summer weekends than the weekdays, let alone winter weekends. And since the runs are picked, bidded on and assigned as regular runs, they (for the most part) run rain or shine whether people are going to Orchard or not.

PS: M86 SBS schedules are at http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/manh/m086scur.pdf but not listed on the website yet.

Let's be real here. During the summer loads of people take the Bx12 to Orchard period. All of that service is needed plus riders who would otherwise go for the select may be tempted to jump on a local. What's stopping the local from getting better weekday service is the demand for the select. The Select doesn't have it's summer schedule online yet so i'm waiting to look at that. Usually rush hour service gets adjusted down slightly. I noticed that going eastbound between 5-7 pm last summer there was 10 BPH scheduled on the select where during the school year there's at least 12 in that period. 

Let's be real here. During the summer loads of people take the Bx12 to Orchard period. All of that service is needed plus riders who would otherwise go for the select may be tempted to jump on a local. What's stopping the local from getting better weekday service is the demand for the select. The Select doesn't have it's summer schedule online yet so i'm waiting to look at that. Usually rush hour service gets adjusted down slightly. I noticed that going eastbound between 5-7 pm last summer there was 10 BPH scheduled on the select where during the school year there's at least 12 in that period. 

His point was that people aren't going to Orchard Beach everyday.  I mean if it's pouring outside or there's other inclement weather, no one is going to the beach, so he has a point.

Well they aren't.  Deep into Lindenwood and Howard Beach, the QM15 is the easier option.  The prime parts of Howard Beach don't have a subway and those folks will either use the QM15 or QM16.  

It's not really true....Lindenwood yeah, the folks use the QM15, but Howard Beach Folks, not as much....

It's not really true....Lindenwood yeah, the folks use the QM15, but Howard Beach Folks, not as much....

Yeah hence why I said the QM15 or QM16.    The bus really terminates in Lindenwood, which some argue isn't part of Howard Beach. lol The QM16 serves more of Howard Beach, but even then just the edge of the neighborhood.  Either way, those folks are not flocking to the (A) train like that in droves.  The area is too isolated, and living in isolated areas of the city myself, I know how folks operate.  Those folks either drive or take the express bus to the city.  The (A) would be the last option out of the three.  I would imagine the people in the less affluent parts of Howard Beach would be more likely to use the (A). The ones that don't tend not to mainly because they can't afford to.

Thinking back to isolated areas of the city where some of my friends live they all drive.  I have friends from high school down in Gerritsen Beach.  They all drive.  None of them would do the B31 to subway schlepp, and the BM4 isn't frequent enough to even consider, but plenty of women from the neighborhood will use it since it is safe and convenient.

PS: M86 SBS schedules are at http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/manh/m086scur.pdf but not listed on the website yet.

So this change ends the 86 Street Variation to East End Avenue. Why did they run only to East End. Was it just for a faster turnaround to serve 86.

EDIT: The QM15 now has an extra 7:35 PM trip on Saturdays instead of the last trip at 6:49 PM. This also ends the loop routing on weekends. The QM15 will now make a trip up to 57 and deadhead back to 34 street. As a result, schedules to Queens are moved up 14 minutes. While this messes up my schedule on weekends, the new addition is certainly a good thing, and hopefully increase in the future. This will be the first change in weekend service in over 5+ years.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

His point was that people aren't going to Orchard Beach everyday.  I mean if it's pouring outside or there's other inclement weather, no one is going to the beach, so he has a point.

and when such inclement weather starts the people who went to the beach will be coming from it so they'll still be taking the Bx12. People will be going unless there's washout weather which happens rarely during the summer.

and when such inclement weather starts the people who went to the beach will be coming from it so they'll still be taking the Bx12. People will be going unless there's washout weather which happens rarely during the summer.

It's crazy that they go out there every day.  Don't these people work?  I can see on the weekends, but Monday through Thursday seems a bit much. Then again this is the Bronx we're talking about...  :lol: