BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Don't you love inconsistent bus service....

Once again, the Q28 has been terrible.

I wanted to go to the movie theater at Bay Terrace, and my stop, which is along the beginning of the Bayside stretch of the route (the other side of Francis Lewis Blvd), is quite far from Flushing. Why would I say that? Because on bus time, the next bus just left Flushing. So, knowing that I'd miss my two hour transfer from before (had to go home to get something), I decided to walk there. I checked on the Q28 when I arrived, finding that the next bus was only at the stop that I am supposed to get on. At 4:00, the start of rush hour, that is unacceptable.

Once again, Q28 service proves to be terrible. My mom waited 35 mins the other day on the Q28 in the middle of rush hour, for three buses to come and crawl the way home. 

Something has to be done, the bus service on this line has gotten terrible over the past year or two. Buses used to arrive on time towards Bay Terrace, now, one bus can be just leaving Flushing while the next one is at Bay Terrace. Just to piss me off even more, when I take the bus to Flushing, I see buses towards Bay Terrace 2-3 times before one towards Flushing arrives.

The MTA wouldn't know how to run a reliable bus service if you removed all the traffic in the world. SMH.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The delays on Q28, Q16 & Q13 are all caused by the construction of the new office buildings being built on 39th avenue & union street, & also Q27 & Q17 do it's turn around there, with hundreds of cars driving the way they like, also people

Jay walk like crazy today I witnessed a q16 bus had to stop

On 37th ave he had to wait 3 minutes while a wheelchair person jay walked. And where the bus stop is on 39th ave ( q13,q16,q28) cars are making illegal right turn from left lane causing the buses to be stuck in the stop

For extending amount of time, it just seems with jay walkers & the way cars drive it's like a free for all

In flushing people do what they want there, and buses are heavily delayed because of

This, I personally think the q16,q13&q28 should be moved to Roosevelt avenue where the li nice bus stop

Is.

What's the best way for express buses to beat traffic (somewhat) during rush hours heading to the Bronx, Queens or Brooklyn?

For Staten Island it's take the Gowanus so far and if there is back up, use the local streets under the Gowanus and then pretend as if they're going to Bay Ridge and use the exit that the X28 uses and then go back on the expressway further up.  lol

For the BM's they usually don't get caught in the traffic on the Gowanus since they only use it for a short period of time (BM1 - BM4 that is) and then take the local streets afterwards.

For Queens, use local streets where possible.

For the Bronx, Yonkers and Riverdale, it's tricky.  The BxM's that use the Cross Bronx Expressway not so many options.  For Riverdale, if the Deegan and Harlem River Drive are a mess some go via the west side and use Harlem all the way to 155th and then jump on the Harlem River Driver further up which usually works.  Others will take local streets under the Deegan, and go via Sedgwick and come through on Bailey.  For the Concourse, BxM4's use the service road in and out. For Yonkers, use the same ways as the Riverdale buses... Via Inwood, via Harlem, etc.

For Staten Island it's take the Gowanus so far and if there is back up, use the local streets under the Gowanus and then pretend as if they're going to Bay Ridge and use the exit that the X28 uses and then go back on the expressway further up. lol

For the BM's they usually don't get caught in the traffic on the Gowanus since they only use it for a short period of time (BM1 - BM4 that is) and then take the local streets afterwards.

For Queens, use local streets where possible.

For the Bronx, and Yonkers it's tricky. The BxM's that use the Bruckner Expressway not so many options. For Riverdale, if the Deegan and Harlem River Drive are a mess some go via the west side and use Harlem all the way to 155th and then jump on the Harlem River Driver further up which usually works. Others will take local streets under the Deegan, and go via Sedgwick and come through on Bailey. For the Concourse, BxM4's use the service road in and out. For Yonkers, use the same ways as the Riverdale buses... Via Inwood, via Harlem, etc.

The BM's are the ones that least use the Gowanus, but the ones that are behind schedule most of the time. I'd bet every BM through the battery tunnel is late except the first few AM and last few PM trips. Those bus schedules are woefully inadequate. A BM1 trip from end to end to Mill Basim takes as much as two hours during the PM hours, but that mainly starts off with the traffoc conditions on 57 Street. For some reason, westbound traffic is always clogged during midday hours, as well as the rush hours (which is understanding). Eastbound traffic is a hit or a miss during middays. On top of buses leaving their terminals late, and you have a recipe for disaster. I wish the buses were allowed to use the side streets instead of 57 Street (because that's how bad traffic is).

I also wish that the BM's had a straighter path instead of the current alignment. The current alignment is also too trafic prone. I dont know if buses would have enough space, but the BM1 and BM2 could utilize the current BM3 & BM4 routing.until Church, then stay to the right and go onto.Beverely Road, then go down Ocean Avenue (BM1) and Flatbush Avenue (BM2). The buses in the opposite direction would do the same except they could turn onto Ocean Pkwy and go north from there into Manhattan. Possibly, the BM3 and BM4 could also be straightened to that alignment as well.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

The BM's are the ones that least use the Gowanus, but the ones that are behind schedule most of the time. I'd bet every BM through the battery tunnel is late except the first few AM and last few PM trips. Those bus schedules are woefully inadequate. A BM1 trip from end to end to Mill Basim takes as much as two hours during the PM hours, but that mainly starts off with the traffoc conditions on 57 Street. For some reason, westbound traffic is always clogged during midday hours, as well as the rush hours (which is understanding). Eastbound traffic is a hit or a miss during middays. On top of buses leaving their terminals late, and you have a recipe for disaster. I wish the buses were allowed to use the side streets instead of 57 Street (because that's how bad traffic is).

The problem with BM buses is some of the drivers are just awful.  They leave the terminal late, then hit traffic, and then make no effort to get back on schedule, so you have very late buses.  The schedules require them to actually drive and not like old ladies either, which is part of the problem.  I've been on some BM3 Super Express buses that were just incredible.  We crawled all through Kensington and along Ocean Avenue. I couldn't believe how long it took to get to Emmons Avenue. I wonder if those part-timers try to milk overtime...

I have had very quick BM1 and BM4 drivers though.  You can get to Gerritsen Beach very quickly with a good driver.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The problem with BM buses is some of the drivers are just awful. They leave the terminal late, then hit traffic, and then make no effort to get back on schedule, so you have very late buses. The schedules require them to actually drive and not like old ladies either, which is part of the problem. I've been on some BM3 Super Express buses that were just incredible. We crawled all through Kensington and along Ocean Avenue. I couldn't believe how long it took to get to Emmons Avenue. I wonder if those part-timers try to milk overtime...

I have had very quick BM1 and BM4 drivers though. You can get to Gerritsen Beach very quickly with a good driver.

There are only a few of them currently out there, which is just sad. The schedule is very tightly indeed, even on weekends. 20 minutes from 57 Street and 2 Avenue all the way down to 23 Street and 2 Avenue is not enough timw IMO, espec o ally during rush hours. It takes usually at least 30 minutes for that to happen. Those buses are given around 90 minutes during the rush, however I think they should have 6 minutes added, and a modification of the current schedule.

Those schedules also haven't been modified in years, hell, my 2010 BM2 Schedule and the current BM2 schedule look alike in terms of midday runtime. The only one they changed was the BM5. If they can change the schedule of the BM5, why can't they do that for the others.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

So while the MTA website has listed June 28th as the M86 SBS start date for a little while, signs at stops now say July 13th. Hopefully somebody in charge will know.

The MTA website now lists the M86 SBS start date as "coming soon", so it looks like July 13th is the official start date.

If they were going start it in mid-july instead of late june, honestly should of waited on wrapping the SBS vehicles at least.

There are only a few of them currently out there, which is just sad. The schedule is very tightly indeed, even on weekends. 20 minutes from 57 Street and 2 Avenue all the way down to 23 Street and 2 Avenue is not enough timw IMO, espec o ally during rush hours. It takes usually at least 30 minutes for that to happen. Those buses are given around 90 minutes during the rush, however I think they should have 6 minutes added, and a modification of the current schedule.

Those schedules also haven't been modified in years, hell, my 2010 BM2 Schedule and the current BM2 schedule look alike in terms of midday runtime. The only one they changed was the BM5. If they can change the schedule of the BM5, why can't they do that for the others.

20 minutes is more than enough time from 57th down to 23rd and 2nd.  It's right on par with the X37 and X38 and the Staten Island Super Express express buses.

20 minutes is more than enough time from 57th down to 23rd and 2nd.  It's right on par with the X37 and X38 and the Staten Island Super Express express buses.

The X37 and X38 don't serve 57 Street east of Madison, and there's a build up of traffic from about 2nd Avenue (which is before the SI super express buses originate). Plus, the X2, X5, X22 all utilize Lexington Avenue instead of 5th Avenue. There will be a big difference in travel time. It sometimes takes 10 minutes alone for the buses to clear 57 street on weekdays, in addition to 5th Avenue traffic, and they expect buses to get to 23 street and 2 avenue from 5 avenue and 48 street in ten minutes. That's not even possible on Saturdays during the same time period.

This also leads to bunching with the midtown buses, because since one is really late, often 10-15 minutes late (the headway for the most part), and then everyone waiting for that bus, and the bus before will get on the first bus, while the second bus will breeze through. Definitely not enough time between those two intervals.

The X37 and X38 don't serve 57 Street east of Madison, and there's a build up of traffic from about 2nd Avenue (which is before the SI super express buses originate). Plus, the X2, X5, X22 all utilize Lexington Avenue instead of 5th Avenue. There will be a big difference in travel time. It sometimes takes 10 minutes alone for the buses to clear 57 street on weekdays, in addition to 5th Avenue traffic, and they expect buses to get to 23 street and 2 avenue from 5 avenue and 48 street in ten minutes. That's not even possible on Saturdays during the same time period.

This also leads to bunching with the midtown buses, because since one is really late, often 10-15 minutes late (the headway for the most part), and then everyone waiting for that bus, and the bus before will get on the first bus, while the second bus will breeze through. Definitely not enough time between those two intervals.

If buses leave on time it's less of an issue.  I've taken the BM3 Super Express and traffic isn't always such as issue.  More of slow drivers leaving the terminal late.

If buses leave on time it's less of an issue.  I've taken the BM3 Super Express and traffic isn't always such as issue.  More of slow drivers leaving the terminal late.

Even if those buses leave on time, there will still be traffic. It's bad enough that the route north of 42 gets plagued with traffic. If anything, you can expect to take 15-20 minutes to get around that area during the rush hour and midday hours. Those BM3's also have problems, my specific example dealt with the BM3 especially. The BM1 and BM2 will just have late buses throughout, but with the BM3 you'll have that, in addition to bunching. It's just not enough time, even if you leave the terminal earlier than normal (which doesn't happen). 

Even if those buses leave on time, there will still be traffic. It's bad enough that the route north of 42 gets plagued with traffic. If anything, you can expect to take 15-20 minutes to get around that area during the rush hour and midday hours. Those BM3's also have problems, my specific example dealt with the BM3 especially. The BM1 and BM2 will just have late buses throughout, but with the BM3 you'll have that, in addition to bunching. It's just not enough time, even if you leave the terminal earlier than normal (which doesn't happen). 

You give that much time and people see that on the schedule, you're just killing ridership more.  it's hard to justify spending 40 minutes from 57th to 23rd and making that an official schedule.  When traffic is good it's 20 minutes.

You give that much time and people see that on the schedule, you're just killing ridership more. it's hard to justify spending 40 minutes from 57th to 23rd and making that an official schedule. When traffic is good it's 20 minutes.

Traffic is almost never good in that area. Also, I'm not saying to do 40 minutes, but 20 minutes is too little. Most of the Queens express via 23 and Madison have around 25 minutes, so 30 should be enough. Rush hour service would also be given more time. From there, for example, the BM1 has 51 minutes to Ocean Avenue.and Avenue K. It doesnt need that much time. Maybe 45 minutes would be fine, if there wasnt so much stuff going on the Gowanus Expwy. Furthermore, 18 minutes from Ocean avenue and Avenue K is not enough. It should be around 25 minutes. In total, the trip would be elongated to an hour and 40 minutes. Whats killing ridership is the lateness. These buses are over 30 minutes late by the tome they reach the end of their route, and at that point, it's better to take the train. This is more of a problem with the midtown buses over the downtown buses or trips.

Traffic is almost never good in that area. Also, I'm not saying to do 40 minutes, but 20 minutes is too little. Most of the Queens express via 23 and Madison have around 25 minutes, so 30 should be enough. Rush hour service would also be given more time. From there, for example, the BM1 has 51 minutes to Ocean Avenue.and Avenue K. It doesnt need that much time. Maybe 45 minutes would be fine, if there wasnt so much stuff going on the Gowanus Expwy. Furthermore, 18 minutes from Ocean avenue and Avenue K is not enough. It should be around 25 minutes. In total, the trip would be elongated to an hour and 40 minutes. Whats killing ridership is the lateness. These buses are over 30 minutes late by the tome they reach the end of their route, and at that point, it's better to take the train. This is more of a problem with the midtown buses over the downtown buses or trips.

Yeah but at the same time an hour and 40 minutes is not going to appeal to new riders.

Damnn son these B/Os think everyone is either ignorant or a fare beater. I got on the B1 with one metrocard. I had like $17 on it, I asked him can I dip it twice for my friend & I, he said yes. I did that & two fares went through. Then I asked him will there be two transfers, he said yes. When we walked to the back, I hear the F5 button get pressed twice. WTF did we do wrong? Then we get on the S79 & I tell him theres 2 transfers for me & my friend on the card. I dip the card, it says 2 Xfers OK, and the guy presses the F5 button again but once. Again, WTF did we do wrong? So embarrassing when they press that button on you.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Damnn son these B/Os think everyone is either ignorant or a fare beater. I got on the B1 with one metrocard. I had like $17 on it, I asked him can I dip it twice for my friend & I, he said yes. I did that & two fares went through. Then I asked him will there be two transfers, he said yes. When we walked to the back, I hear the F5 button get pressed twice. WTF did we do wrong? Then we get on the S79 & I tell him theres 2 transfers for me & my friend on the card. I dip the card, it says 2 Xfers OK, and the guy presses the F5 button again but once. Again, WTF did we do wrong? So embarrassing when they press that button on you.

How do you know they were pressing the F5 button?  I wouldn't care.  You paid.  That's what matters.  I just about always dip with an express bus pass and it usually has a refill on it so I just dip and go.

LOL @ being embarrassed, the average rider doesn't even know what the F5 button is.

The problem with BM buses is some of the drivers are just awful.  They leave the terminal late, then hit traffic, and then make no effort to get back on schedule, so you have very late buses.  The schedules require them to actually drive and not like old ladies either, which is part of the problem.  I've been on some BM3 Super Express buses that were just incredible.  We crawled all through Kensington and along Ocean Avenue. I couldn't believe how long it took to get to Emmons Avenue. I wonder if those part-timers try to milk overtime...

I have had very quick BM1 and BM4 drivers though.  You can get to Gerritsen Beach very quickly with a good driver.

I also wish that the BM's had a straighter path instead of the current alignment. The current alignment is also too trafic prone. I dont know if buses would have enough space, but the BM1 and BM2 could utilize the current BM3 & BM4 routing.until Church, then stay to the right and go onto.Beverely Road, then go down Ocean Avenue (BM1) and Flatbush Avenue (BM2). The buses in the opposite direction would do the same except they could turn onto Ocean Pkwy and go north from there into Manhattan. Possibly, the BM3 and BM4 could also be straightened to that alignment as well.

Amen to both 

These part timers are something else the other day had a guy who was part timer (his run number let me know) who took 2hrs from 23st/3ave to the end on the BM1 but had this full timer woman (she was beautiful too some eye candy as a bonus lmao) got into lower mahattan in 35 minutes from sheepshead on the 3, it is really frustrating taking the bus they are always late, I don't do it very often anymore. Yesterday while on the 1 I thought that the BM1 & 2 should just take prospect expwy all the way down and make a left on cortelyou, would be easier for everybody

Speaking of spring creek does anyone know whether the depot is taking on an extra route or expanding service? Its just that for the past 10 months-ish i have seen so many new drivers training, just too much. Does anyone have any info?

Amen to both 

These part timers are something else the other day had a guy who was part timer (his run number let me know) who took 2hrs from 23st/3ave to the end on the BM1 but had this full timer woman (she was beautiful too some eye candy as a bonus lmao) got into lower mahattan in 35 minutes from sheepshead on the 3, it is really frustrating taking the bus they are always late, I don't do it very often anymore. Yesterday while on the 1 I thought that the BM1 & 2 should just take prospect expwy all the way down and make a left on cortelyou, would be easier for everybody

Speaking of spring creek does anyone know whether the depot is taking on an extra route or expanding service? Its just that for the past 10 months-ish i have seen so many new drivers training, just too much. Does anyone have any info?

probably those who are eligible to retire or bolting are going and their replacing them with the part timers, also how can you tell that he is a part timer via the run #?