BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

-EDIT-

So they're finally rolling out these new programs, only on the M15 as of now. Shot these today.

11249848_10153991258744348_8616872571018

11659359_10153991260289348_8763409138088

I don't see why it's necessary anyway? The buses are already wrapped, the stops have the necessary information.  If people don't know about it by now they're never going to know.   <_<  A prime example of wasted money...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see why it's necessary anyway? The buses are already wrapped, the stops have the necessary information.  If people don't know about it by now they're never going to know.   <_<  A prime example of wasted money...

You can thank your former-fellow Islanders for this!

Its not really wasted money, considering you can hardly see the wraps at night. Most folks liked the blue lights but thanks to your former islanders, that ain't happening no more. We now have these signs as a much better and brighter identification, especially for tourists and such. What makes this different is that when it scrolls, the M15 route sign stays blue, while the destination goes orange.

You want wasted money? Check out that 2nd Avenue Subway Center at the Upper East Side....that simulator they built costs them 80k, when it could've been done for a lot....lot less.

Edited by Cait Sith

Since always, it's just the initialized versions of their original names. (most ops say it by their names, but it's mostly used on the inside)

-EDIT-

So they're finally rolling out these new programs, only on the M15 as of now. Shot these today.

I actually like the look. I was thinking they would make the text a different color and keep a black background, but this works, too.

Since always, it's just the initialized versions of their original names. (most ops say it by their names, but it's mostly used on the inside)

-EDIT-

This is actually awesome, I would want all SBS services to have something like that, but I would want the text to be black on a blue background or like @Culver said a different color text on a black background 

Went to Yonkers today, and after getting back to Pelham Bay, I decided to take the express bus all the way home (or as close to it lol)

Took the BxM8 to 59 St, to the X27 to the B8. And I was able to charge my phone on the MCI

I don't see why it's necessary anyway? The buses are already wrapped, the stops have the necessary information. If people don't know about it by now they're never going to know. <_< A prime example of wasted money...

The wraps themselves are a waste of money.

They get wrapped, and after a while they start falling off due to general wear and tear, panel replacement, and washing the buses. Eventually they have to be re-wrapped and the cycle continues.

Edited by Fresh Pond

Went to Yonkers today, and after getting back to Pelham Bay, I decided to take the express bus all the way home (or as close to it lol)

Took the BxM8 to 59 St, to the X27 to the B8. And I was able to charge my phone on the MCI

The wraps themselves are a waste of money.

They get wrapped, and after a while they start falling off due to general wear and tear, panel replacement, and washing the buses. Eventually they have to be re-wrapped and the cycle continues.

Well soon the whole damn bus will be wrapped... I hate the fact that they've started doing that with the express buses.... One lady on the BxM2 was complaining about it.  Can't look out of the window like normal with those big ads covering the buses.

Well soon the whole damn bus will be wrapped... I hate the fact that they've started doing that with the express buses.... One lady on the BxM2 was complaining about it. Can't look out of the window like normal with those big ads covering the buses.

That is how it used to be back in 2005 and 2006 when PBL and MTA Buses used to be ad wrapped all the time. Some had like whole bus wrappings especially the RTS where the back would also have something.

Taking a closer look at the new M15 SBS signs today, I feel like the signs might actually be improving. The blue background is on the M15 fulltime, and the background becomes fully blue when it reads "Select Bus". On the "Select Bus" part, the lead would flash about two times then display the destination it is heading to.

Thought I wouldn't like the new SBS signs, but it turns out they were better than expected.

That is how it used to be back in 2005 and 2006 when PBL and MTA Buses used to be ad wrapped all the time. Some had like whole bus wrappings especially the RTS where the back would also have something.

I hope they don't go the way of those Ferry Buses that you see in Midtown.  The whole bus is wrapped.  It looks like a dark dungin.  They should get enough revenue from those ads that they don't need to put them over the windows, and it seems like I get one now everyday on the express bus.  I think bus#3069 has it as well which is the bus that I got this morning on the Super Express BxM1.

When will the Bx12 gets it's actual Fordham Plaza bus stop back and drop the pathetic excuse of a stop it's been using for the past several years. They just threw machines in the middle of the block between Third and Washington and told the buses to stop by those machines. I almost jumped on a Bx9 one night because I couldn't notice the machines and went to the first spot I saw with a crowd and an approaching bus. Let's get something resembling a shelter with one of those BusTime signs and put it in between 3rd and Webster where it should be. There's no excuse for the 12 Select to stop on the same block as the 9 and 22. 

Edit from top post (mentioned from other topic):

4804 is renumbered from 5471

*Most of the Bronx's 1999 D60's are all renumbered

Not all of them have been remembered yet. Buses like 5410 & 5423 haven't been touched. 

Are there still ex-Bee Line Orions on the road? The last time I saw them was in 2013.

They were retired a few months ago.

There's no excuse for the 12 Select to stop on the same block as the 9 and 22. 

Well, there are active construction zones on both sides of Fordham where the 12 stops. You have the Fordham Plaza redevelopment on one side with a new structure being built and Metro-North has a construction site access point on the other side, where equipment has to get down to the northbound platform that is being widened.

Edited by paulrivera

Well, I'm on 3736 on the Q29, with almost a completely full bus (sitting and standees) at the first stop (82 Street), and the bus seems to have broken down. Isn't this nice.

EDIT: Seems like the bus is making progress in moving. Let's see how long it lasts before it happens again.

2nd EDIT: Seems like it happened again on 92 Street and 48 Avenue.

3rd EDIT: Luckily a bus wasn't that far down. The bus was surprisingly SRO only.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Well, I'm on 3736 on the Q29, with almost a completely full bus (sitting and standees) at the first stop (82 Street), and the bus seems to have broken down. Isn't this nice.

EDIT: Seems like the bus is making progress in moving. Let's see how long it lasts before it happens again.

2nd EDIT: Seems like it happened again on 92 Street and 48 Avenue.

3rd EDIT: Luckily a bus wasn't that far down. The bus was surprisingly SRO only.

What does SRO stand for?