BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Jeez, is Casey Stengel like the dumping grounds for Orion Vs? Since CS changed up their sticker by changing some colors, I can usually tell which buses were there for quite some time and which ones came from other depots/boroughs. Recently, I've been riding buses a lot, and I notice that many of the Orion Vs at CS are being held together by tape, looks to be rusting around the wheels, and also have peeling paint. However, a majority of the buses that I've seen that on are buses with the new stickers. Now, I'm not saying that all of the buses with the new stickers come from the Bronx/Staten Island and that they all are beat up, but it's just a trend. Some of the buses that were at CS for a long time also have those issues, and I do understand that the fleet in general is starting to age. I do wonder why many of the buses getting received are noticeably in worse conditions than the ones that were originally there. There are some good ones I can point out, which includes 6038 and some others that came from the Bronx (I think Eastchester). However, some of them (6132 I think, and a 62xx I was just on) are just in terrible condition. I wonder how it's like out in Staten Island, where I guess their buses are infamous for bad maintenance. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez, is Casey Stengel like the dumping grounds for Orion Vs? Since CS changed up their sticker by changing some colors, I can usually tell which buses were there for quite some time and which ones came from other depots/boroughs. Recently, I've been riding buses a lot, and I notice that many of the Orion Vs at CS are being held together by tape, looks to be rusting around the wheels, and also have peeling paint. However, a majority of the buses that I've seen that on are buses with the new stickers. Now, I'm not saying that all of the buses with the new stickers come from the Bronx/Staten Island and that they all are beat up, but it's just a trend. Some of the buses that were at CS for a long time also have those issues, and I do understand that the fleet in general is starting to age. I do wonder why many of the buses getting received are noticeably in worse conditions than the ones that were originally there. There are some good ones I can point out, which includes 6038 and some others that came from the Bronx (I think Eastchester). However, some of them (6132 I think, and a 62xx I was just on) are just in terrible condition. I wonder how it's like out in Staten Island, where I guess their buses are infamous for bad maintenance. 

lol... That seems to be the case.  I've been on some terrible Q32s where entire rows of seats were missing. Really beat up buses.  Sadly many of them do come from Staten Island and the Bronx and they are in terrible shape.  There's one that I definitely remember being on Staten Island and elsewhere and I chuckled.  It seems like they get everyone's leftovers. lol

Passed by the X1 to West Midtown on the Gowanus Expressway and inside, there were alot of standees inside, seen on the X28

Those folks must have been ticked to be paying so much and having to stand...

Us local bus riders have it worse: Seems like you either get speed (like on a LTD/SBS bus) or comfort (a lighter ridership bus but makes all kinds of stops), but not both. Actually, there's local buses that get both slow and crowded (the M42 for starters)

Is it me or is the transit system starting to burst at the seams here? Or does the MTA not count ridership properly?

Passed by the X1 to West Midtown on the Gowanus Expressway and inside, there were alot of standees inside, seen on the X28

What time was this?

I think that's actually the new stop. They tend to relocate stops when SBS makes its way through. Some of the stops along the SBS have been relocated so it can just be up and out when the light changes

I actually did see a construction style bus stop by Lex and 86th, so it may be temporary.

around Gowanus Expressway at 9:30PM

Yeah they're going to have to add more service.  Now that there's 24 hour service, folks get on the X1 to and from the city like it's nothing, but you have people driving to the X1 from other areas that don't have express bus service that late.  What they may do also is add more X10 or X17 service down the road to mitigate adding such frequent X1 service. They've had hourly service after 17:00 now for years, and that just isn't going to cut it.  I've used some of those buses and in the winter they haven't been too bad, but with the warm weather now forget it.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

There's a Bx22 "SBS" bus running around lol. My goodness, all those poor souls thinking it's a 12...

Lol they do that a lot...use SBS wrapped buses on local routes and use local buses on SBS lines. Last week they had SBS buses on the M101/102/103 and just a few days ago I caught a D60 on the M34 SBS

I'm shocked no one has photos of the new LFSs running on ENY routes.. other than 8090 at least.

It's really new at this point; 8090 has been here for quite a while, and it's also been at ENY for a while now. Besides, for most fans, ENY routes would be out of their reach unless they actually live in Brooklyn or near Jamaica.

There's a Bx22 "SBS" bus running around lol. My goodness, all those poor souls thinking it's a 12...

There's a lot of those. The M103, Bx4A, M35, M100, M86(before it became SBS), Bx40/42(not sure which one. Was a long time ago) just to name a few.

There's a lot of those. The M103, Bx4A, M35, M100, M86(before it became SBS), Bx40/42(not sure which one. Was a long time ago) just to name a few.

The thing is though, the Bx22 has a similar notation to an already existing route, which it runs for quite a while with. There is no corresponding SBS route for those you mentioned. Sure, it's their fault if they don't read the route number, but that's what he means.

The thing is though, the Bx22 has a similar notation to an already existing route, which it runs for quite a while with. There is no corresponding SBS route for those you mentioned. Sure, it's their fault if they don't read the route number, but that's what he means.

Yeah, if it happens it happens, but putting an SBS bus on a local line that parallels the SBS line the bus is supposed to be assigned to in the first place is just asking for trouble lol.

And even that's nothing, one time I even saw an SBS bus run on the local Bx12.

It's really new at this point; 8090 has been here for quite a while, and it's also been at ENY for a while now. Besides, for most fans, ENY routes would be out of their reach unless they actually live in Brooklyn or near Jamaica.

I haven't bothered looking. I know one is gonna pop up on the B15 again eventually and I'll be there to catch a picture of it

...hopefully sober this time lol

I know. Wasn't trying to argue or refute his point. Just pointing out the routes I saw them on.