BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't bothered looking. I know one is gonna pop up on the B15 again eventually and I'll be there to catch a picture of it

...hopefully sober this time lol

LOL

my friend there is a LFS on the B15 as I speak

I rode a new XD40 on the Q23. It felt pretty smooth compared to the older 4800's.

I can't wait to ride these on the Q20 and I know the Q44 will probably run them too when CS gets their batch.

I was a little disappointed yesterday because the Q44 that came before the Q20A I got on was a Orion VII. Then at Kew Gardens the Q10 that I took was a Orion VII and behind it was two more Orion VII's. When I took the Q10 back to Kew Gardens at about 11:30 at night it was also a Orion VII. What is the purpose of CS and JFK having artics if the Q44 and Q10 still run with several standard buses. I don't see Orion VII's running on the M15, M101, or M103 unless there is a emergency or a snow storm. I feel that CS and JFK have a lot of artics that are sitting out of service.

I rode a new XD40 on the Q23. It felt pretty smooth compared to the older 4800's.

I can't wait to ride these on the Q20 and I know the Q44 will probably run them too when CS gets their batch.

I was a little disappointed yesterday because the Q44 that came before the Q20A I got on was a Orion VII. Then at Kew Gardens the Q10 that I took was a Orion VII and behind it was two more Orion VII's. When I took the Q10 back to Kew Gardens at about 11:30 at night it was also a Orion VII. What is the purpose of CS and JFK having artics if the Q44 and Q10 still run with several standard buses. I don't see Orion VII's running on the M15, M101, or M103 unless there is a emergency or a snow storm. I feel that CS and JFK have a lot of artics that are sitting out of service.

They have older artics in the case of JFK, so that may be the case.

In other words, a whoppin' 17 riders were on the Q67 bound for LIC that I was on (the 6:00 PM). That's more than twice the normal amount, a record.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

What is the purpose of CS and JFK having artics if the Q44 and Q10 still run with several standard buses. I don't see Orion VII's running on the M15, M101, or M103 unless there is a emergency or a snow storm. I feel that CS and JFK have a lot of artics that are sitting out of service.

Q44 and Q10 have artics as the ridership is high, but the standards is pretty much either an extra or if theres not enough, then a standard fills in

Edited by Calvin

Q44 and Q10 have artics as the ridership is high, but the standards is pretty much either an extra or if theres not enough, then a standard fills in

I would imagine you'll see those 40 footers here and there until the new 60 footers come in.  Those NOVAs have to take a beating on the Q44 given the loads on that line and the ones on the Q10 are pretty old, so they can't run those like crazy either. 

I would imagine you'll see those 40 footers here and there until the new 60 footers come in.  Those NOVAs have to take a beating on the Q44 given the loads on that line and the ones on the Q10 are pretty old, so they can't run those like crazy either. 

And this is with them having moved the even older artics to the Bronx and Manhattan and off the Q10. These ones are relatively new.

Aren't they getting new ones soon anyway for the Q10?

XD-60s, yes. Once the process continues, then the D60HFs they have would go back to NYC Transit to bump out the renumbered units 

Edited by Calvin

The M101 has had Orion VII a couple of times, as has the M14D and Bx42.

Traffic is god-awful on Fordham now. Why do they insist on painting the bus lanes on the whole corridor at once?

I couldn't even get on a single 12 bus, the locals went missing and the SBS runs are packed. After 20 minutes I went back home.

lol... I saw a crowd at 207th this morning as I was passing through on the BxM1.  There were TWO OOS Bx12s that passed by and two more looked like they were starting up to pick up passengers.  

The M101 has had Orion VII a couple of times, as has the M14D and Bx42.

Yeah but that rarely happens. Orion's on the Q44 and Q10 happen everyday and there is plenty of artics sitting in the depot.

I can understand JFK because they are also overwhelmed with FR's buses and the Q10 is like JFK's highest priority line. So they pull buses off other lines like the Q6 and Q41 and put them on the Q10. I don't know what CS excuse it because they have enough artics to cover the Q44 with spares.

Yeah but that rarely happens. Orion's on the Q44 and Q10 happen everyday and there is plenty of artics sitting in the depot.

I can understand JFK because they are also overwhelmed with FR's buses and the Q10 is like JFK's highest priority line. So they pull buses off other lines like the Q6 and Q41 and put them on the Q10. I don't know what CS excuse it because they have enough artics to cover the Q44 with spares.

Like it was said before, those buses need to rest from time to time, those LFSA are on no other route than the Q44 and are usually stay on that route for hours. They need to go back to CS to be repaired and refueled, so 40 footers replace the Artics on that line.

Was in FR this morning.  9197 came by with massive amounts of blue smoke pouring out of the exhaust, and the amount was enough to obscure the bus from view.  It stopped at a light when the smoke turned white.  The b/o turned onto Arverne avenue and stopped for about a minute, after which when the B/O tried to restart the engine.  The smoke started again and it drove off.   I was inside a building so it was out of my sight after some time.

Aren't there only certain operators that are trained to drive artics? Most of the time when 40 footers are on the Q44 there aren't much, from 1-3 and sometimes none. Most of the time I see them they either are a bit ahead or a bit behind an artic Q44. Maybe they are just extras to help out. I know for sure that once SBS comes than it would be fully artic (well I think everyone does), but for now I guess they have extra 40 footers on the Q44.

Edited by R188 7857

Why does the BxM4C use Bee-Line buses?

It's a Westchester Bee-Line Route, lol.

That route was never taken over by the MTA. Plus it runs more into Westchester anyways. Don't know why they could not rename it. I don't think it was a true branch of the BxM4 to begin with.

Actually, the BxM4C shared a stop with the BxM4A/B in the Bronx; 138 Street, and I think another stop up north with the BxM4B. They were run by Liberty Lines, so it was allowed. In addition, making a bus line a branch of a current route back then was much easier to approve than a route with a new number. That's why the NYCDOT routes used the A or B designations a lot. Essentially, it was a BxM4 variant, but today's routing and number does not reflect that, moreso a random numbering. As to why Bee-Line yet hasn't relabeled the BxM4C to reflect its current routing and separation from the former BxM4A/B/C/D family, I have yet to know.

I think the BxM4A/B and BxM4C/D were run by different divisions of Liberty Lines, since the BxM4C/D catered to residents outsides City Limits, and NYCDOT was not obligated nor didn't want to burden itself with those routes.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

It's a Westchester Bee-Line Route, lol.

Actually, the BxM4C shared a stop with the BxM4A/B in the Bronx; 138 Street, and I think another stop up north with the BxM4B. They were run by Liberty Lines, so it was allowed. In addition, making a bus line a branch of a current route back then was much easier to approve than a route with a new number. That's why the NYCDOT routes used the A or B designations a lot. Essentially, it was a BxM4 variant, but today's routing and number does not reflect that, moreso a random numbering. As to why Bee-Line yet hasn't relabeled the BxM4C to reflect its current routing and separation from the former BxM4A/B/C/D family, I have yet to know.

I think the BxM4A/B and BxM4C/D were run by different divisions of Liberty Lines, since the BxM4C/D catered to residents outsides City Limits, and NYCDOT was not obligated nor didn't want to burden itself with those routes.

The A and B were strictly ran by LIberty Lines along with the BxM1, BxM2, BxM3 & BxM11 and BxM18, the C and D were strictly ran by Westchester Bee-Line.

Edited by Cait Sith