BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Aren't there only certain operators that are trained to drive artics? Most of the time when 40 footers are on the Q44 there aren't much, from 1-3 and sometimes none. Most of the time I see them they either are a bit ahead or a bit behind an artic Q44. Maybe they are just extras to help out. I know for sure that once SBS comes than it would be fully artic (well I think everyone does), but for now I guess they have extra 40 footers on the Q44.

If you're in a depot, you must be qualified to drive every bus inside said depot. They train you if you aren't.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a Westchester Bee-Line Route, lol.

Actually, the BxM4C shared a stop with the BxM4A/B in the Bronx; 138 Street, and I think another stop up north with the BxM4B. They were run by Liberty Lines, so it was allowed. In addition, making a bus line a branch of a current route back then was much easier to approve than a route with a new number. That's why the NYCDOT routes used the A or B designations a lot. Essentially, it was a BxM4 variant, but today's routing and number does not reflect that, moreso a random numbering. As to why Bee-Line yet hasn't relabeled the BxM4C to reflect its current routing and separation from the former BxM4A/B/C/D family, I have yet to know.

I think the BxM4A/B and BxM4C/D were run by different divisions of Liberty Lines, since the BxM4C/D catered to residents outsides City Limits, and NYCDOT was not obligated nor didn't want to burden itself with those routes.

138th street? When was this? There's like nothing at 138th street but vacant lots and auto repair shops.  

I rode a new XD40 on the Q23. It felt pretty smooth compared to the older 4800's.

I can't wait to ride these on the Q20 and I know the Q44 will probably run them too when CS gets their batch.

I was a little disappointed yesterday because the Q44 that came before the Q20A I got on was a Orion VII. Then at Kew Gardens the Q10 that I took was a Orion VII and behind it was two more Orion VII's. When I took the Q10 back to Kew Gardens at about 11:30 at night it was also a Orion VII. What is the purpose of CS and JFK having artics if the Q44 and Q10 still run with several standard buses. I don't see Orion VII's running on the M15, M101, or M103 unless there is a emergency or a snow storm. I feel that CS and JFK have a lot of artics that are sitting out of service.

It's all about what each operator WANTS to or can or cannot pull out..

Simple

Edited by Logan

Dunno how long ago they did this, but they moved the eastbound Q24 stop at Broadway & Halsey. Instead of it being on the farsisde of the intersection (in front of the Rite-Aid parking lot), they moved it across the street in front of the Popeye's/Dunkin Donuts under the train station steps.

Dunno how long ago they did this, but they moved the eastbound Q24 stop at Broadway & Halsey. Instead of it being on the farsisde of the intersection (in front of the Rite-Aid parking lot), they moved it across the street in front of the Popeye's/Dunkin Donuts under the train station steps.

lol... That should boost ridership nicely.  Seems like any area with a Popeyes always has a lot of people waiting at the bus stop.  :lol:

I have a question for our B/Os out there. (MTA), NICE, NJT,SCT, express, local ,limited or what have you. Are B/Os allowed to deviate from their established routes without direct permission? I'd think that an obvious situation like a fire, building collapse, fatal accident appearing directly in front of the bus would allow a deviation while contacting supervision of ones intended routing. This would also allow supervision to establish a temporary routing for the following buses. I ask this because I read a lot of posts from an express bus rider complaining about operators not leaving their routes for alternate ones due to traffic conditions. AFAIK local or LTD (MTA) buses are not allowed to venture off their routes without prior consent. Have an accident off-route without permission would pretty much guarantee B/O termination back in the day. Is taking the initiative a "no-no" still discouraged by those in charge? I will say that if I was a B/O we'd travel on-route unless I was told to leave that route. Are B/Os even trained on possible alternate routes? That's why I'm curious about the correct procedure for B/Os today in the agencies I mentioned. Thanks in advance. Carry on.

I have a question for our B/Os out there. (MTA), NICE, NJT,SCT, express, local ,limited or what have you. Are B/Os allowed to deviate from their established routes without direct permission? I'd think that an obvious situation like a fire, building collapse, fatal accident appearing directly in front of the bus would allow a deviation while contacting supervision of ones intended routing. This would also allow supervision to establish a temporary routing for the following buses. I ask this because I read a lot of posts from an express bus rider complaining about operators not leaving their routes for alternate ones due to traffic conditions. AFAIK local or LTD (MTA) buses are not allowed to venture off their routes without prior consent. Have an accident off-route without permission would pretty much guarantee B/O termination back in the day. Is taking the initiative a "no-no" still discouraged by those in charge? I will say that if I was a B/O we'd travel on-route unless I was told to leave that route. Are B/Os even trained on possible alternate routes? That's why I'm curious about the correct procedure for B/Os today in the agencies I mentioned. Thanks in advance. Carry on.

I've been riding express buses for almost 10 years using express buses in ALL boroughs (including the ones that used to operate in Manhattan (i.e. X25)).  When I lived on Staten Island, express buses NEVER deviated from the route unless there was a closure of some sort and/or they were given permission to do so in advance.

I've been living in Riverdale for a number of years and can tell you that express bus B/Os ARE allowed to deviated from the route (that is the non drop-off segment). For example, you will see BxM1s BxM2s, BxM3s and BxM18s using the Harlem River Drive instead of the Deegan to avoid traffic and a number of side streets as well when both the Deegan and Harlem River Drive are clogged.  I've taken the lovely tour of West Harlem a number of times passing near Columbia University and the like.   :lol: You can see BxM4s taking the Deegan when no one needs to be dropped-off along Grand Concourse to get customers to Woodlawn quickly, etc.  Management at Yonkers Depot overall focuses more so on trying to provide speedy, quality service, even if some of their B/Os aren't as professional at times, but they do take complaints seriously and do move to correct problems.  They're a small old-school depot and I think they try hard to do a good job.  Eastchester Depot is another depot that seems to take professionalism seriously.  In fact the least amount of rude drivers I've had have come out of Eastchester and I have never filed a complaint on any B/O from that depot which says something.  They may not be in the mood for greetings (which is fine by me), but what I care about is that they operate safely (i.e. pulling into bus stops to ensure you don't risk getting hit by on coming traffic, making sure the door isn't closing on you, kneeling the bus when necessary, etc.).

I have also used several QM buses that deviate from the routing (again deviating between the non drop-off segment).  The QM2 is an example.

Now if the guy is a rookie out of Yonkers, they tend to stick to the route, most likely because they don't know alternate ways and or they want to ensure that don't have any issues with write-ups.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

So four buses are bunching on the BM3 right now. I wonder how many will go via the Downtown Bypass.

And how are there 2 BM4's bunched on 23 Street. The trip doesn't leave until 8 PM?

Coincidentially enough, I was reading this thread from years ago on this forum. That, and the following pages after should answer most questions.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/28664-express-lines/page-10

ft. a now defunct member.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Thank you BM5, East New York, B35, Knightrider, and those who responded to the linked thread.. If you haven't read the link I'd advise you to do so. It does appear that the oldtimers from the PBL were doing sanctioned and unsanctioned detours back then which no (MTA) B/O would risk his/her job for. What I took from the linked thread is that most agencies value safety and order over speed and timeliness when it comes to operation. That fits in with my RTO experiences where safety trumps all. If only those who frequent the subway forum would understand that, to an RTO employee, safety, not speed, is paramount. Thanks again. Carry on.

On a daily week, what's the chances of being stopped to see if you have an SBS ticket on hand?  My stop's machines have been broken or just off during odd hours. Some passengers and I have  been pretty much just getting on without the ticket and getting off for the ticket at the next stop then get back on.

I would call about it being broken or off but every time coming back from work, the machines are on and working.

(B44-SBS)

On a daily week, what's the chances of being stopped to see if you have an SBS ticket on hand?  My stop's machines have been broken or just off during odd hours. Some passengers and I have  been pretty much just getting on without the ticket and getting off for the ticket at the next stop then get back on.

I would call about it being broken or off but every time coming back from work, the machines are on and working.

(B44-SBS)

I've gone months without being stopped on the Bx12. Eagle Team sightings are uncommon but frequent enough to where riders should not chance taking free rides.

So the laat QM15 to Midtown just bypassedy stop at Woodhaven/ Alderton, probably because there was no sign for the QM15. Either way, unacceptable on the drivers part. Other drivers stopped for me at that stop, and os listed on the QM15 schedule as a full time stop.

Did you wave for him to stop??

I've gone months without being stopped on the Bx12. Eagle Team sightings are uncommon but frequent enough to where riders should not chance taking free rides.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not intentionally avoiding to pay (I have to pay regardless when I hop on the (5) at Flatbush, it's just our machines are a hit or miss when it comes to being on and working.

Yes, I waved, and he saw me. I even had my metrocard in my hand. He just kept on going.

Same thing happened this morning. The Q64 was all messed up this morning. Waited 20 minutes for a Q64 and the first one came was packed and the Q64 usually has another bus that starts at Parsons and Jewel. Well not today and another bus came packed after 15 minutes and then a completely empty Q64 passes up by and there was at least 15 people waiting for the bus at Jewel and Kissena Blvd. You can never trust public transportation because there are always those bad drivers doing dumb crap that is unfair. I left the house at 7:55 and I usually get to work at 8:35 or 8:40. I didn't not get to Forest Hills on the Q64 until 8:40 and caused me to be 15 minutes late to work since I also had to take the (E) to Queens Plaza. Unbelievable I arrived to work at 9:15 because one driver never showed up at all and another one decided to pass us by with a completely empty bus.

I like how MVH got rid of all their borrowed RTS just to get them again a few days later. Speaking of which.....

I caught 9411 on the M2 and rode it from 8 Street to 125 Street. I almost missed that ride and had to wave my hand outside to let him know I wanted to board.

Then he went to 14 Street to pick up two passengers. Afterwards, with the 3 people (including me) on board, he ran nonstop from 14 Street to 100 Street (with one dropoff at 79 Street; no one was at the stop). He did not stop for nothing, not even for people who tried to wave it down like I did. After 100 Street, he began making all stops to Washington Heights.

That driver was either really late and off schedule or he just didn't give any f**ks and just kept going (likely the first scenario).

I noticed a Westbound Bx12 Select running in service around 10:30 pm heading towards Pelham Bay. The last SBS trip going west is scheduled to start at 10 pm. I highly doubt the bus was running a whole half hour late (it wasn't carrying that many people, a late Bx12 would be packed) so I'm starting to wonder whether there's extra SBS trips being run late in the evening. It sure would be nice if that were the case but the schedule could make note of them and not have people think SBS ends at 10 pm coming out of Bay Plaza. 

Pretty sure the stop was there for a while.