BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow 6262 is a pretty smooth and fast Orion V. Probably the best one I've been on ever. Sounds smooth too, almost has that Bee Line Orion V sound. Clean on the inside and looks like they fixed the door area and stuff because everything looks fresh. Bus is on the S52.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Wow 6262 is a pretty smooth and fast Orion V. Probably the best one I've been on ever. Sounds smooth too, almost has that Bee Line Orion V sound. Clean on the inside and looks like they fixed the door area and stuff because everything looks fresh. Bus is on the S52.

Don't count on seeing those buses too much longer.  I would imagine they'll be pushed out sooner or later.

Is bus service absolutely positively horrible these days when it comes to reliability??? Or is it just me???

It's not just you. I'm seeing it too. Q38 bus service reliability is starting to get bad again, and it was getting better after a bunch of years of being extremely unreliable.

The express bus in my area: forget it. Besides the QM24 and QM25, they run behind pretty much most of the time. Before, some drivers on the Spring Creek Expresses take 40 minutes from midtown to Ozone Park (by the Conduits).Now, those drivers during that same slot take 40 minutes to get off the LIE onto Woodhaven Blvd, or sometimes even get out of Manhattan. Rush hours, it's even worse. Ridership has been dropping on that line because of that.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Is bus service absolutely positively horrible these days when it comes to reliability??? Or is it just me???

It is horrible.  The only saving grace is that we can now see all of the buses bunched together instead of sitting there like idiots waiting and hoping one will show up. Last night I sat in my office and watched as three BxM18's were packed together.  Mind you they run every 30 minutes.  One 18:15 bus was almost an hour and a half late. The 18:45 was about 40 minutes late, and the 19:15 was almost 20 minutes late and I don't see that changing much either, even with summer being here.

My Bx12 ride was quick this evening. Got on the bus (an XD60 for anyone that cares) at Fordham/Walton at 8:38 p.m. and got off at Baychester Av in Co-op at 9:04 p.m. Basically I traveled most of the route in less than half an hour, pretty sweet. Fordham Road traffic is brought up a lot around here but as far as i'm concerned lack of speed is the least of the problems with the Bx12 SBS. 

I have noticed another problem with the route and it's something that has from my eyes been worsening in just the past year which is ridiculously long gaps in service. On the eastbound trip I described I noticed no Westbound SBS buses in between Grand Concourse and White Plains Road. As expected the bus that followed the gap was a sardine can (Pelham/WPR going west is not a great stop for a sardine packed bus to entering) but there were three locals running within the SBS gap. Neither of the locals were all that full in fact none were SRO in my observation. That had me wondering why the riders waiting for the Select just didn't use the local. I'm led to believe that there is a) a borderline irrational preference for SBS over the local along the core segment of the route or b) a lot more riders than people think are boarding before PBP working to dictate the loads along the route. Many times I take the 12 SBS just within the PBP-Co-op stretch and when I do heading east I can usually get a seat so my educated guess would be a.

People prefer SBS unless they're traveling an extremely short distance.  I do the same thing with the M15. I don't care about waiting a bit longer if I know a bus is coming because usually the SBS will catch up with the local.  Not only that but the fewer stops the better.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Yeah it is horrible now. It is crazy how it could be 7pm and you have not one Q56 heading to Jamaica and only 2 heading to ENY and they are bunched in Jamaica.

I noticed that service seems to be getting worst and even on routes that are very reliable.

Of the 16 noted stories I have over the last month... The absolute worse was the Q35..... I could have caught a cab, but I waited just to see how long the bus would take....

Left Riis Beach for the bus at 7:50

First bus that arrives was an RTS crush loaded at 10:16. Next bus, 6 minutes later, crush loaded...... Next bus, half full.... We got to BK college at 11:16.....

Wen I say I can't wait for the board meeting..... And I pay for unlimited cards faithfully..... I know many people at the TA. I tell you all now, this shit stops with East New York.... I had to admit that sometimes I though you all just complained a bit too much.... But I just completed a 4 borough bus hopping for the last 6 months for an evaluation, and I am OVER it!

I am can't believe how many times I have had to take Uber as an alternative after spending my money on an unlimited.... A total waste.... Creating a forum thread for service issues ASAP.

Of the 16 noted stories I have over the last month... The absolute worse was the Q35..... I could have caught a cab, but I waited just to see how long the bus would take....

Left Riis Beach for the bus at 7:50

First bus that arrives was an RTS crush loaded at 10:16. Next bus, 6 minutes later, crush loaded...... Next bus, half full.... We got to BK college at 11:16.....

Wen I say I can't wait for the board meeting..... And I pay for unlimited cards faithfully..... I know many people at the TA. I tell you all now, this shit stops with East New York.... I had to admit that sometimes I though you all just complained a bit too much.... But I just completed a 4 borough bus hopping for the last 6 months for an evaluation, and I am OVER it!

I am can't believe how many times I have had to take Uber as an alternative after spending my money on an unlimited.... A total waste.... Creating a forum thread for service issues ASAP.

lol... And since that report came out about express buses having a terrible on-time performance, not much has changed.  Today wasn't so bad, but you can't get two days in a row without some sort of problem.

That had me wondering why the riders waiting for the Select just didn't use the local. I'm led to believe that there is a) a borderline irrational preference for SBS over the local along the core segment of the route or b) a lot more riders than people think are boarding before PBP working to dictate the loads along the route. Many times I take the 12 SBS just within the PBP-Co-op stretch and when I do heading east I can usually get a seat so my educated guess would be a.

I go with "A" too. I can't count the times when I'm coming up on Pelham Parkway after just missing a local Bx12 to Fordham and there would still be a crowd there. There's no way they can't *all* be going to Inwood (and they don't, the bulk get off between Grand Concourse and University.)

Needless to say when the SBS comes it's usually already crowded and half the time it's packed to the gills by White Plains Road. I just get on whatever comes first nowadays. Heck, sometimes I switch between two SBS buses mid-route if the crowding is bad enough/bus is slow enough and another bus is nearby.

Could be both a and b, the locals out of Bay Plaza after 9:30pm tend to pick up people while the SBS is still running (they may not be sure the SBS is still running at that time either).

If the SBS is usually crowded, that means more service will eventually be added, even if the local is empty. MTA could run the SBS another hour in the late evening into early late night and have enough ridership to justify it (especially if the local is cut back to Pelham Bay another hour in the late evening).

If SBS could run about two hours later, the local wouldn't really have to run to/from Bay Plaza at all, just run to Pelham Bay, until the last few SBS trips, then late night service to Edson Avenue.

So pissed right now.

Theres a detour for all QM buses from 42 to 57 street, via Madison instead of 6 Ave.

I tracked the driver of my bus to Queens on the QM15. The driver does the bus to midtown , then DH'S at 57 street to 34, and then pick up again.

So, the driver not only doesn't go to 34 street, but he stays at 57 street, and then waits until a certain time, and then goes on thr QB Bridge to Queens! My transfer was gonna expire, and I waited 40 minutes at the bloody first stop. I said "f**k it" and went to park avenue for the subway. I'm waiting now for the (6) to Grand Central to the (7) to Queens for the (R) to Woodhaven, and then an uphill walk. I just had to give up a train since it was too packed to get on. I have been waiting for 12 minutes already, and I feel like I'm being cooked right now.

At least a (6) is suppose to come soon.

So pissed right now.

Theres a detour for all QM buses from 42 to 57 street, via Madison instead of 6 Ave.

I tracked the driver of my bus to Queens on the QM15. The driver does the bus to midtown , then DH'S at 57 street to 34, and then pick up again.

So, the driver not only doesn't go to 34 street, but he stays at 57 street, and then waits until a certain time, and then goes on thr QB Bridge to Queens! My transfer was gonna expire, and I waited 40 minutes at the bloody first stop. I said "f**k it" and went to park avenue for the subway. I'm waiting now for the (6) to Grand Central to the (7) to Queens for the (R) to Woodhaven, and then an uphill walk. I just had to give up a train since it was too packed to get on. I have been waiting for 12 minutes already, and I feel like I'm being cooked right now.

At least a (6) is suppose to come soon.

This (and a couple other reasons) is why I'm not one of those people that relies on the same commute five days a week.....

The simplest commute coming home for me would be the LIRR to the B12.... I haven't done that once this past week:

- monday, I did the LIRR to JAM, ... to the (F), got off at Rockefeller ctr, caught the (B) & rode that to church...

- tuesday, drove.

- wednesday, LIRR to JAM, Q56 to Myrtle, Q55 to 60th ln (decatur) {for pizza hut}, B20 to B'way Junction, B12 to KCH...

- thursday, LIRR to JAM, Q65 to downtown Flushing {took care of some business}, Q19 to the (Q), took the Q to church...

- friday, LIRR to Penn, BM2 to utica, B46 to Linden {for popeyes}

- today, LIRR to ENY, gave up on the B12*, caught the (L) at B'way junction, walked to the B35....

yesterday (friday), I was actually gonna hit up Nathans (which is why I went to penn, to ride the express bus there.... but for w/e the reason, I didn't see any sea gate 28's for about a good 1/2 hour or so, so I gave up & sought the first BM that arrived on wheels (which happened to be a 2).... Basically, I wanted to ride an express bus & I wanted to go to nathans yesterday - Guess one out of two aint bad huh.....

I haven't done the LIRR to ENY, Q24 to Lafayette/Patchen for the B46 to church in a while... Nor taken the Q56/Q24 from (downtown) Jamaica to Alabama av.... I have a myriad of shit that I do; as you can tell, time is of no concern in wanting to get home....

----

* 3 B12's came up to the first stop w/i 5 mins of each other.... the first guy parks where the 2nd pole is at & goes on layover.. the 2nd guy never even picked up anyone - I'm assuming this guy went straight to the pacific st stop (the stop afterwards) & picked up pax from there - with I'd say about 75-80 people waiting for a bus at alabama.... the 3rd guy pulls up to the front-most pole (the one that has the schedule on it) & goes on layover.... By time I saw the 3rd guy go on layover & no sign of the 1st guy that went on layover, I walked to B'way junction & said f*** it....

I totally forgot about the GO with the (L).... the wait wasn't too bad though; - figured this would be the case b/c the platform was Lex/53rd st level crowded.... People were confused than a MF-er as to which train was headed in which direction (manhattan bound trains terminated & left on the canarsie bound platform, canarsie bound trains terminated & left on the manhattan bound platform.... In other words, there are no trains running on the canarsie bound "side" past b'way junction (save for any switching at Rockaway pkwy, of course).....

Don't know what was going on, but I knew something was awry when I got off New lots (L) & could see a conga line of buses parked along New lots.... The Hegeman part of the "triangle" (where the B35 normally ends at) was blocked off, so buses picked up along new lots at mother gaston (instead of hegeman/M. gaston) & detoured via M. Gaston > Lott > Rockaway av > back on hegeman.....

Thank god the bus I was on wasn't crowded.... That was really the only thing I cared about (it's a concern whenever I take the B35.... lol)

Edited by B35 via Church

Don't know what was going on, but I knew something was awry when I got off New lots (L) & could see a conga line of buses parked along New lots.... The Hegeman part of the "triangle" (where the B35 normally ends at) was blocked off, so buses picked up along new lots at mother gaston (instead of hegeman/M. gaston) & detoured via M. Gaston > Lott > Rockaway av > back on hegeman.....

Thank god the bus I was on wasn't crowded.... That was really the only thing I cared about (it's a concern whenever I take the B35.... lol)

It was old-timers day in the Plaza (building across the street, I live right in there lol) last night so they had New Lots closed between Hegeman & about Powell. Cops were all through the plaza and area, even had auxiliary out there.

Fast forward to today, they had some event/concert at the rec center so they kept Hegeman closed off.

Yeah it was kinda good to see buses going down my block, but traffic was just terrible. And they had the 24 hour store closed last night

I do the same thing in terms of using different commutes home the five days I work, but I don't have many options:

1. AirTrain to (J)

2. Q10 to (J)

3. AirTrain to LIRR, then Q24 or Q56

you just reminded me of something else I do, but not very commonly, unfortunately....

the LIRR to AIRTrain, to the B15, to the B35 (or a dollar cab)..... If it weren't for the trek from the (LIRR) track level to Airtrain, I would do this more often.....

I like riding through JFK for some reason.... LGA, however, not at all.....

Edited by B35 via Church

This (and a couple other reasons) is why I'm not one of those people that relies on the same commute five days a week.....

The simplest commute coming home for me would be the LIRR to the B12.... I haven't done that once this past week:

- monday, I did the LIRR to JAM, ... to the (F), got off at Rockefeller ctr, caught the (B) & rode that to church...

- tuesday, drove.

- wednesday, LIRR to JAM, Q56 to Myrtle, Q55 to 60th ln (decatur) {for pizza hut}, B20 to B'way Junction, B12 to KCH...

- thursday, LIRR to JAM, Q65 to downtown Flushing {took care of some business}, Q19 to the (Q), took the Q to church...

- friday, LIRR to Penn, BM2 to utica, B46 to Linden {for popeyes}

- today, LIRR to ENY, gave up on the B12*, caught the (L) at B'way junction, walked to the B35....

yesterday (friday), I was actually gonna hit up Nathans (which is why I went to penn, to ride the express bus there.... but for w/e the reason, I didn't see any sea gate 28's for about a good 1/2 hour or so, so I gave up & sought the first BM that arrived on wheels (which happened to be a 2).... Basically, I wanted to ride an express bus & I wanted to go to nathans yesterday - Guess one out of two aint bad huh.....

I haven't done the LIRR to ENY, Q24 to Lafayette/Patchen for the B46 to church in a while... Nor taken the Q56/Q24 from (downtown) Jamaica to Alabama av.... I have a myriad of shit that I do; as you can tell, time is of no concern in wanting to get home....

----

* 3 B12's came up to the first stop w/i 5 mins of each other.... the first guy parks where the 2nd pole is at & goes on layover.. the 2nd guy never even picked up anyone - I'm assuming this guy went straight to the pacific st stop (the stop afterwards) & picked up pax from there - with I'd say about 75-80 people waiting for a bus at alabama.... the 3rd guy pulls up to the front-most pole (the one that has the schedule on it) & goes on layover.... By time I saw the 3rd guy go on layover & no sign of the 1st guy that went on layover, I walked to B'way junction & said f*** it....

I totally forgot about the GO with the (L).... the wait wasn't too bad though; - figured this would be the case b/c the platform was Lex/53rd st level crowded.... People were confused than a MF-er as to which train was headed in which direction (manhattan bound trains terminated & left on the canarsie bound platform, canarsie bound trains terminated & left on the manhattan bound platform.... In other words, there are no trains running on the canarsie bound "side" past b'way junction (save for any switching at Rockaway pkwy, of course).....

Lol, that's a bunch of alternatives. 

Weekdays, If I do a trip to Manhattan in the afternoon on the express bus, then I only have the QM15 (or the BM5 too, depending on the time). Going back home, I have the option of taking the QM24, or when that fails too, I have the QM18, QM10, QM12, BM5 (Only applicable if I have used the QM15), or in the worst case scenario, the subway.

I sometimes just use the bus to subway as well, because the express bus every day is too much money for me. Usually the (M)(R) at woodhaven, or the Q38 to the (M) at metropolitan, or the Q67 or the Q47 to the subway.

However, on Saturdays, I strictly use the express bus, and today it backfired on me. I have options, too bad they all run just weekdays only, lol. I also used to do the QM15 to the BM5 before, but that's only when the QM15 that's suppose to arrive 30 minutes before, ends up running 30 minutes late. During the time going back to Queens in the afternoon, the BM5 out of 57th Street is a much better shot than the QM15 out of 34th Street since it's more reliable. The new Saturday schedule was suppose to eliminate that unreliability, giving the drivers 30 minutes to get back to 34 street to do the outbound trip. However, when some drivers like being slick and just bypass everyone south of 57 street, that is the exception. I wonder how many people he actually picked up because of that foolishness. 

Going home, the trip was stellar. The (6) I said was coming came crushloaded because of a big gap. One (6) came in between the previous (6) and the one I was getting on. I was literally being crushed at the door by everyone else, and the smell of cigarette from someone who I guess was previous smoking was all over the damn place. I figure I wasn't gonna get off at 42 Street, so I stayed on to 59 street for the (R). I'm walking down the stairs, and the (R) leaves. It's like a sauna down there. The train comes after waiting a while, and I took it home. Then comes the uphill walk and walking up the stairs to cross the bridge, and the more (although not as bad) hills. I was tired since I was essentially on my feet since getting off the BM5, and waiting for 40 minutes like a fool thinking the bus is gonna come down. 

I made a call to the MTA asking what is going on, and the lady tells me that the QM15 is not making stops on 34 street, only to later tell me that I can't make a complaint when the QM15 is not showing up as an option (on trip planner I suppose) on her screen, hence her saying it doesn't run on Saturdays (which I considered a huge slap in the face, since I've been taking that bus  on Saturdays for the most 3 years or so). She eventually finds out that the information she had was misleading, and she filed the complaint, and what not. 

I don't like filing complaints over "minor" stuff, I understand stuff happens, but I do not tolerate stupid shit, and I will make sure something is done about that. It's not the first time I've been burned by the QM15; on Wednesday, the driver didn't even stop for me, despite me waving him down. At that point, I didn't even bother going to Manhattan since the subway would just take too long. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I used the M15SBS today... Was pretty crazy... Took the BxM1 to 34th street and then walked to 2nd and 34th... I saw there were no M15's for a while (neither local or select) so I waited in the shade and tracked the buses.  One eventually came in about 10 minutes, but what was crazy was that ALL of the machines were broken at the bus stop.  The first SBS that arrived was PACKED to the rafters, so I let that one go by, thinking I would get the next one, but there was actually another bus that wasn't on BusTime that showed up that was relatively empty.  As I boarded, I noticed several passengers got off trying to get a receipt as they had done with the bus before to no avail, so apparently numerous SBS tickets were broken at quite a few bus stops.  It wasn't until 28th street that everyone was able to get receipts.  I got mine at the front door, and the B/O held the bus for us.

Coming back, we had a really crazy B/O.  There was a bus coming as I was crossing the street.  As I got on, I saw an (MTA) employee that I assumed was part of the Eagle team walking about the bus telling passengers what they could and couldn't do. Only thing was he wasn't part of the Eagle Team.  He was the B/O.  Extremely confrontational.  He got up out of his seat at two stops and got off of the bus to confront passengers about folding up carriages, stopping the bus until they did so.  Not only that but he was quite rude too.  I could understand him being concerned about safety, but he went about it in such a condescending manner, almost getting into arguments, talking down to people as if they were idiots.  Several passengers commented on his rudeness.  I was glad when I got off... At 34th street a lady, asked what his stop was and he almost went ballistic because he has to repeat himself more than once... Imagine that... People can be dense, but Christ, if he's that annoyed over such things, he probably shouldn't be working with the public.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Lol, that's a bunch of alternatives. 

Weekdays, If I do a trip to Manhattan in the afternoon on the express bus, then I only have the QM15 (or the BM5 too, depending on the time). Going back home, I have the option of taking the QM24, or when that fails too, I have the QM18, QM10, QM12, BM5 (Only applicable if I have used the QM15), or in the worst case scenario, the subway.

I sometimes just use the bus to subway as well, because the express bus every day is too much money for me. Usually the (M)(R) at woodhaven, or the Q38 to the (M) at metropolitan, or the Q67 or the Q47 to the subway.

However, on Saturdays, I strictly use the express bus, and today it backfired on me. I have options, too bad they all run just weekdays only, lol. I also used to do the QM15 to the BM5 before, but that's only when the QM15 that's suppose to arrive 30 minutes before, ends up running 30 minutes late. During the time going back to Queens in the afternoon, the BM5 out of 57th Street is a much better shot than the QM15 out of 34th Street since it's more reliable. The new Saturday schedule was suppose to eliminate that unreliability, giving the drivers 30 minutes to get back to 34 street to do the outbound trip. However, when some drivers like being slick and just bypass everyone south of 57 street, that is the exception. I wonder how many people he actually picked up because of that foolishness. 

Going home, the trip was stellar. The (6) I said was coming came crushloaded because of a big gap. One (6) came in between the previous (6) and the one I was getting on. I was literally being crushed at the door by everyone else, and the smell of cigarette from someone who I guess was previous smoking was all over the damn place. I figure I wasn't gonna get off at 42 Street, so I stayed on to 59 street for the (R). I'm walking down the stairs, and the (R) leaves. It's like a sauna down there. The train comes after waiting a while, and I took it home. Then comes the uphill walk and walking up the stairs to cross the bridge, and the more (although not as bad) hills. I was tired since I was essentially on my feet since getting off the BM5, and waiting for 40 minutes like a fool thinking the bus is gonna come down. 

I made a call to the MTA asking what is going on, and the lady tells me that the QM15 is not making stops on 34 street, only to later tell me that I can't make a complaint when the QM15 is not showing up as an option (on trip planner I suppose) on her screen, hence her saying it doesn't run on Saturdays (which I considered a huge slap in the face, since I've been taking that bus  on Saturdays for the most 3 years or so). She eventually finds out that the information she had was misleading, and she filed the complaint, and what not. 

I don't like filing complaints over "minor" stuff, I understand stuff happens, but I do not tolerate stupid shit, and I will make sure something is done about that. It's not the first time I've been burned by the QM15; on Wednesday, the driver didn't even stop for me, despite me waving him down. At that point, I didn't even bother going to Manhattan since the subway would just take too long. 

There would even be more (options) if I took NICE bus! But I refuse to embark upon them.... If (former LIB/current NICE) wasn't such shit, I'd like to try an all bus commute to get home from Mineola...

Anyway, yeah, I tend not to to dick around with the subway on weekends in Manhattan either.... When I worked in the village & would have to come in saturdays, I'd take the BM's home....... The subway, almost always some GO somewhere in the system, on top of an abudance of people embarking upon them eager as shit to go blow their checks &/or act a special type of something called a fool going shopping & what not.... With the 2 in particular, it was the running local of it along 7th av (which you'd think would be a positive, since it meant not xferring from christopher to chambers for it, but it wasn't - since you had to bypass 1,2, even 3 trains because you couldn't get on the thing)....

All in all, I can't be bothered with the shit.....

If I was a Queens resident, there's no way I'd put up with the 7 on weekends (not that you could anyway, since those GO's that had it not running in manhattan anyway on weekends persisted), nor the QB line.... I'd be a Q32/Q60/an express bus riding MF-er - Guaranteed.... That GO that has (F)'s running local on QB on weekends.... The Roosevelt av crowds, the Woodhaven crowds coming from the mall... Are you kidding me? I feel for anyone that has to put up with that..... I actually think the Q60 is under-utilized, and doesn't get the system-wide recognition that it deserves from the MTA - likely because it runs along the subway... smh.....

As far as complaint filing, I don't bother (no matter how grave).... Waste of time....

Someone on here yesterday stated how they thought folks on here complain a little too much.... I think NYC straphangers on here & other transit forum don't voice their opinions enough - as the MTA leaves its riders much to complain about.

They got Pan Am Rd closed going towards the airport so they got airport bound Q10s & B15s on a detour.

From the Lefferts Blvd airtrain station, they loop back north on Lefferts, then get back on the Nassau Expwy to the Van Wyck to Federal Circle and back on the normal route (essentially the original route before the Airtrain opened).

Q10s loop through the Lefferts Blvd airtrain station and do the same thing the B15 does.

Buses going the opposite way are unchanged, and no stops are really changed