BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the Bx32 runs until 175, the Bx1/2/BxM4 ran from 165 to Mt Eden, so they werent together :(

I totally avoided that Dominican parade. I dealt with it last year and my commute was a nightmare.  I missed the BxM4 going Northbound (stupid bus came early after I got off of the BxM2, so I filed a complaint), but I was more concerned about coming back from my tutoring session, so I scheduled it so that I could get Metro-North back to the city, which worked perfectly. I wish Melrose had hourly service.  Would make things far more convenient.

This might just be my 100th complaint about the Q28, I gotta ask, why in the hell would this driver just go out with an empty bus? When everybody boarded the bus at Flushing, we make the turn and a completely empty Q28 comes around and passes us, picking up people at one stop than going straight to whatever stop they get off at. The thing that made me even more mad was the fact that 3 people boarded my bus, when there was a Q28 that passed them 1 minute ago (barely 1 minute). The driver that decided to go to Bay Terrace completely empty was parked at the bus stop when I turned the corner from the Roosevelt-39 Av connector, while the one I was on just dropped off it's passenger and started another run immediately. By my (maybe flawed) logic, its either he should have picked up some passengers at Flushing if he was gonna make the run to Bay Terrace or straight up deadhead there if one of the buses were completely off schedule. I'm pretty sure a deadhead would be faster than running the full route carrying less than 10 passengers. However, not gonna assume that it was the bus driver's fault as there might have been some other reasoning behind it. Maybe someone can clarify that to me. 

I totally avoided that Dominican parade. I dealt with it last year and my commute was a nightmare. I missed the BxM4 going Northbound (stupid bus came early after I got off of the BxM2, so I filed a complaint), but I was more concerned about coming back from my tutoring session, so I scheduled it so that I could get Metro-North back to the city, which worked perfectly. I wish Melrose had hourly service. Would make things far more convenient.

Wow you sure play no games when it comes to filing a complaint due to poor bus service. I wish more people did it because many people sit and complain about how the MTA service is poor but never puts the effort in to file complaints. If all the people effected by crappy service complained the MTA would have no choice but to fix up service. All these missing runs and latenesses wouldn't happen if the MTA knew they couldn't get away with it. I'm tired of drivers playing games.

Wow you sure play no games when it comes to filing a complaint due to poor bus service. I wish more people did it because many people sit and complain about how the MTA service is poor but never puts the effort in to file complaints. If all the people effected by crappy service complained the MTA would have no choice but to fix up service. All these missing runs and latenesses wouldn't happen if the MTA knew they couldn't get away with it. I'm tired of drivers playing games.

It has to be done because that's the only way things get fixed.  Truth be told B/Os are well aware of which lines passengers tend to file complaints on and they bank on that, as some of them that I know have told me this in speaking with them.  For example, one of them talked about the BxM4 saying that at the very worse you may be cursed out, but it was essentially implied that passengers along the Concourse won't file complaints, while passengers in Riverdale would, and he's actually right about that.  Nevertheless I use the BxM4 a lot and notice that certain things happen on that line that won't happen on the Riverdale lines as often (early buses, guys practically closing the door on passengers, etc.).  Some of it also is due to the fact that drivers know that folks that work for (MTA) live in Riverdale (i.e. Fernando Ferrer, Charles Moerdler, etc.), so there are people there that can really have your job without even filing a complaint.  I also regularly see (MTA) Bus dispatch cars parked in various spots in Riverdale off of bus routes, which leads me to believe that others in managerial positions may likely live here as well.

I dont know if this question has been already answered but:

Why is it that the X17 stop at Brooklyn is served only on weekends but cant do it on weekdays too (such as middays)?

Edited by Calvin

I dont know if this question has been asnwered but:

Why is it that the X17 stop at Brooklyn is served only on weekends but cant do it on weekdays too (such as middays)?

Because both the x27 and x28 run on weekdays with the x37 and x38. That stop was made as an x28 supplement.

Edited by Cait Sith

I dont know if this question has been already answered but:

Because both the x27 and x28 run on weekdays with the x37 and x38. That stop was made as an x28 supplement.

I worked with Senator Golden's office on the X27 and X28 weekend restorations amongst other lines in South Brooklyn, including the B2, B4, B31 (overnight service), B37 and B64, as I felt strongly about the fact that the (MTA) was starving Mid and South Brooklyn of much needed bus service, and knew how important these lines were as a former South Brooklyn resident.  The X27 was agreed to by the (MTA) (obviously with reduced headways on weekends), but as for the X28, the (MTA) argued that they simply didn't have it in the budget in addition to ridership not being sufficient enough to justify running it, BUT as a compromise, they agreed to have the X17 serve the Bay Ridge/Dyker Heights area, basically getting more bang for the buck.  I wasn't exactly pleased when I heard the news to be honest because I think the X28 should run on weekends, but part of it was political. Most of the screaming for weekend service came from Bay Ridge.  They were extremely vocal about the service and do use it, so it was hard to justify not restoring that service. The problem is that Senator Golden does not represent all areas that the X28 serves, and while many residents would benefit from the restoration, they don't use it enough in areas like Coney Island and Sea Gate, nor were they that vocal about having it restored, so that's the compromise that everyone came up with.  I have to commend Senator Golden again for working diligently on getting those lines restored (where possible) because he had a lot on his plate and he delivered quite well overall.

There continues to be renewed efforts by local politicians who I've been in touch with representing residents in Dyker Heights in particular and parts of Bath Beach and Bensonhurst to try to get something going, but the (MTA) has been adamant about not bringing weekend service back despite numerous petitions.  There have also been grumblings about how early the X27 ends on weekends, particularly back to Bay Ridge amongst folks along Shore Rd and further North where the subway isn't so easy to reach.  It is my hope that over time, as the (MTA) 's budget improves that service can be expanded for Bay Ridge as it makes life a lot more easier for those along Shore Rd and points east of 4th Avenue.

I personally feel that South Brooklyn needs to be wary of the (MTA) .  They have an attitude that middle and upper class neighborhoods in South Brooklyn don't need their bus service and I think it's disgusting what they tried to do back in 2010.  Residents need to remain vocal so as not to be robbed of vital service.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Bruhh I just got off of 6236 on the S78. By far the worst condition bus I've been on. I was standing and when we hit bumps, it felt like my legs were gonna break. When we hit a few more bumps it sounded like glass was shattering and two pans banging against each other. I honestly thought the front axle was gonna rip right off. Didnt feel safe at all and the interior was completely neglected. These Novas need to hurry up, smh.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Bruhh I just got off of 6236 on the S78. By far the worst condition bus I've been on. I was standing and when we hit bumps, it felt like my legs were gonna break. When we hit a few more bumps it sounded like glass was shattering and two pans banging against each other. I honestly thought the front axle was gonna rip right off. Didnt feel safe at all and the interior was completely neglected. These Novas need to hurry up, smh.

Good news is, Charleston is the first SI depot to get the LFS, and the third overall. Hopefully should get there by the end of fall.

Those buses out on SI are terrible. I got an ex-Staten Island bus yesterday out of Casey Stengel and man every time we hit a bump it felt like any bump I could have bounced all the way up where I would hit my head on the roof..

And that is why CS is getting new XD40's after LGA. Those Orion V's have holes in the wall, the walls are popping off, they are very rusty on some buses and the suspensions on a lot of them suck.

Those buses out on SI are terrible. I got an ex-Staten Island bus yesterday out of Casey Stengel and man every time we hit a bump it felt like any bump I could have bounced all the way up where I would hit my head on the roof..

And that is why CS is getting new XD40's after LGA. Those Orion V's have holes in the wall, the walls are popping off, they are very rusty on some buses and the suspensions on a lot of them suck.

lol... I thought maintenance @ SI was so much better...  <_< Casey Stengel gets all of the garbage from Staten Island and the Bronx for that matter.  I've been some really old Q32 buses.  A disgrace to have those buses in the tourist and business areas of Midtown and that was years ago.  Amazing that these buses are still floating around.

I'm gonna be honest right now, I don't think the RTS would have lasted as long as it is now if they spent most, if not all of their lives on Staten Island. One bus I know needs retirement is 6191. They haven't given that thing a wash in forever and it's falling apart. When 1305 and 1306 retired, they were still in somewhat better condition than some of the 6000's...

I'm gonna be honest right now, I don't think the RTS would have lasted as long as it is now if they spent most, if not all of their lives on Staten Island. One bus I know needs retirement is 6191. They haven't given that thing a wash in forever and it's falling apart. When 1305 and 1306 retired, they were still in somewhat better condition than some of the 6000's...

LOL! I remember when 6191 was out of Yukon YEARS ago... That bus was crap then so it's not a surprise.  Pathetic... The (MTA) really needs to do an overhaul on the depots on Staten Island and get their maintenance in line with other depots.  They're wasting money sending new buses there for them to be trashed by shoddy/lack of maintenance.

I noticed how several V's on the q32 where rusting severely. 6051 is rusting on the inside under the run number display. It's pretty bad. Most if not all the V's on the q32 are in bad shape. One of the rusted black-back V's got retired recently Only one that didn't actually look bad was 6012 which I walked by when I was at the last stop today.  

And that's strange. I thought Stengel was gonna get the 2015 LFS's, not the XD40's.

Edited by NYCtransitfan