BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Who is "they"? <_< If you mean Yonkers, they're known for better maintenance. CP however, I've heard horror stories. Send buses out in any old shape. Yonkers has far fewer express buses than CP anyway and is a small depot, so if anything I would expect Yonkers to be sending buses elsewhere to be maintained, not CP.

You just contradicted yourself...

Yonkers has a much smaller fleet compared to CP. Common sense would dictate that the larger depot (College Point) would send buses to the smaller depot (Yonkers) to pick up the slack.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You just contradicted yourself...

Yonkers has a much smaller fleet compared to CP. Common sense would dictate that the larger depot (College Point) would send buses to the smaller depot (Yonkers) to pick up the slack.

Actually neither scenario makes sense to me at all.  I'm speaking hypothetically, but my thinking is that Yonkers wouldn't have that much staff for maintenance being a small depot, thus needing to send their buses elsewhere on occasion (but not to CP).  Maybe Eastchester or something... I don't understand why CP can't send their buses somewhere closer in Queens? 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Who is "they"? <_<  If you mean Yonkers, they're known for better maintenance.  CP however, I've heard horror stories.  Send buses out in any old shape.  Yonkers has far fewer express buses than CP anyway and is a small depot, so if anything I would expect Yonkers to be sending buses elsewhere to be maintained, not CP.

Doesn't mean anything. They send buses to CP to get worked on every now and then. They may be known for better maintenance, but that doesn't mean they always stay on top of it, and over the past 7 years, it shows at times. And it doesn't matter where they send them, it's what depot has the availability and space and for the most part, it's College Point. Even Eastchester sends their buses to College Point for work. Eastchester is swamped with their own fleet, LaGuardia is already swamped with their own fleet being mostly local, they wouldn't send their buses to JFK or Far Rockaway and some of the Yonkers and CP buses do go to Spring Creek along with East New York CMF to get worked on as well.

CP sends out buses to get worked on because their fleet is HUGE, they have hundreds of local CNG buses on top of hundreds of express buses. Yonkers only has like....80 buses at most compared to CP's 170 express buses and 160 or so local buses, so that's apples to oranges and pretty contradictory altogether.

And yes, Yonkers has a lesser amount of buses than CP, in which CP has both local and express buses, way more than Yonkers has in total and then some, so yes, Yonkers has "better maintenance" primarily because they're fleet is incredibly small compared to CP's local and express fleet altogether.....if the cards were switched, Yonkers would have shitty maintenance and CP would have better maintenance just by the fleet amount alone.

Edited by Cait Sith

Doesn't mean anything. They send buses to CP to get worked on every now and then. They may be known for better maintenance, but that doesn't mean they always stay on top of it, and over the past 7 years, it shows at times. And it doesn't matter where they send them, it's what depot has the availability and space and for the most part, it's College Point. Even Eastchester sends their buses to College Point for work. Eastchester is swamped with their own fleet, LaGuardia is already swamped with their own fleet being mostly local, they wouldn't send their buses to JFK or Far Rockaway and some of the Yonkers and CP buses do go to Spring Creek along with East New York CMF to get worked on as well.

CP sends out buses to get worked on because their fleet is HUGE, they have hundreds of local CNG buses on top of hundreds of express buses. Yonkers only has like....80 buses at most compared to CP's 170 express buses and 160 or so local buses, so that's apples to oranges and pretty contradictory altogether.

And yes, Yonkers has a lesser amount of buses than CP, in which CP has both local and express buses, way more than Yonkers has in total and then some, so yes, Yonkers has "better maintenance" primarily because they're fleet is incredibly small compared to CP's local and express fleet altogether.....if the cards were switched, Yonkers would have shitty maintenance and CP would have better maintenance just by the fleet amount alone.

Yes but CP also defers maintenance, so that's another reason they're forced to send out buses elsewhere. I've been told by various B/O's that have worked there that buses are sent out in any old condition, and having rode several QM express buses, those claims appear to be true.

On the same token, Yonkers having fewer fleet means their buses are on the road most of the time so I'd argue that they have to have good maintenance. I don't think that having fewer fleet is the sole reason, because we once had a bus from Baisley Depot that was the pits and they only have what 6 or 7 express buses to maintain? I get the impression that in some cases, it's an issue of a lack of maintenance workers.  Each depot should be able to handle their own load, regardless of how many buses they have.  I would think there would also be unnecessary mileage put on buses traveling back and forth for maintenance.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Wow, I always thought a D60 was gonna show up on the M60. That's awesome.

I was on 7451 out of LGA and it's already got a graffiti sticker on the back seat, and the hatch on the back wall was open (which it should never be, thanks LGA) and kept swinging opem when the driver braked. I went against better judgment and looked inside. From the quick look I got, it seemed to be a storage compartment above the engine. 

Wow, I always thought a D60 was gonna show up on the M60. That's awesome.

I was on 7451 out of LGA and it's already got a graffiti sticker on the back seat, and the hatch on the back wall was open (which it should never be, thanks LGA) and kept swinging opem when the driver braked. I went against better judgment and looked inside. From the quick look I got, it seemed to be a storage compartment above the engine. 

The opening of the back wall happens from time to time... Not a big deal...

Bruh, you never heard of Meek Mill? What in the world...anyway...

7056 repainted with MTA Bus decals and black doors.

Coming home on the S79 today, a giant wasp got on the bus and no one realized until we got on the bridge, it was probably landed somewhere near the front because I didn't even notice it. About to past the first tower of the bridge (in traffic), the wasp comes out of nowhere. Some lady screams, then about 10 people start screaming at the same time. A man screams at the bus driver telling him theres a bee on the bus in a panicking voice. The bus driver kept on driving and told people to relax. Some lady tried to open the back door (like where the hell are u going?), and this literally happened throughout the whole bridge stretch. I was laughing but making sure that s**t didn't sting me. As soon as we got to Fingerboard Rd, 90% of the bus got off lmao (honestly, I got off too), and then someone saw the wasp fly out the bus. Everyone ran soo fast back in the bus through both doors and people were screaming "close the doors, close the doors fast, hurry, hurry, hurry". Driver closed both doors and when they saw the wasp wasn't on the bus, everyone clapped their hands. Funniest s**t on a bus ever.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888