BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Springfield Blvd looks good between 145 Rd and 147 Av...I wonder when the Q77 detour will be done soon. Probably foreshadows a possible extention

The Q77 should run down to 147th because it will allow for an additional transfer to the Q111. Plus some riders will no longer have to walk down Springfield Road to get to Rosedale or the Q111.

The Q77 should run down to 147th because it will allow for an additional transfer to the Q111. Plus some riders will no longer have to walk down Springfield Road to get to Rosedale or the Q111.

Yeah. All it has to do is make a U turn somewhere and move the 111/114 stop to Springfield

Speaking of detours, I actually like the B46 detour... What's happening is that they're fixing up the road on Utica b/w Flatlands & Av H.....

So (NB) B46's are going Utica > Av. K > Kings Hwy > then back up Utica....

I took the B6 yesterday from the junction & had to get off at Kings Hwy/Av H... b/o made an announcement stating that if anyone needed Utica, they had to get off there... So I got off.... and after about 15 mins, I got fed up waiting for the B46 & jumped in a dollar van.....

-------------

Yesterday I caught the first BM on wheels (happened to be the BM4) & walked to the junction....

Today I caught the BM1.... supposed to have arrived at 30th st around 9:15.... dude didn't show up til 9:32.... Ridiculous.

I'm lucky to have only waited for a hot 2 mins for a B46 tonight....

Caught 5364 on the Q10 out of nowhere. Left my friend's house and walked to the 7-Eleven on Lefferts near Austin (or whatever the hell that street is, I told her I hate the neighborhood lol), and it just popped up going to JFK.

Not all that impressed by the bus tbh, A/C wasn't all that good (non-existent in the last row), felt every bump going down Lefferts (especially near Hillside with the construction), and that ZF transmission is just bleh.

Other than the nice sign, I prefer the older 4700s

Usual rush hour:

(7) local comes in, leaves immediately after everyone boards.

(7) express comes in, everyone boards, waits 5 minutes to leave- ends up getting loaded to the point where nobody can get on, yet didn't pass the local train.

Two Q13s leave packed up to the door (which shouldn't happen since you can only go up to the white line).

Bus signed up as a Q28 departs layover, switches to Q16 after a chat with an (MTA) employee (couldn't tell what he was). Two Q16s pick up an extra long line, and leave. Finally, three Q28's come and pick up the line that stretches two complete bus stops. On the ride home, a few Q28s and Q13s pass, two Q28s go to Flushing together, then there's one more on Crocheron, and the next one hasn't departed Bay Terrace yet. Looking on bus time, in between 5 Q28s (between F. Lewis & 35th and Flushing) going to Bay Terrace, there is not a single one heading to Flushing. The only one heading to Flushing is about  to meet the 1st of the 5 buses, and the rest of the buses on the Q28 are the 3 that are heading to Bay Terrace together. 

However, things are starting to get back to normal. Other than two Q28s going to Bay Terrace together and a longer than expected service gap for Flushing bound buses, buses are pretty evenly spaced for the most part. 

What's your rush hour like?  

EDIT: On another note, I did spot an XD40 in CS. Think it is 7366. 

Edited by R188 7857

(7) Express to Times Sq FLYS by PACKED

(7) Local to Times Sq comes In MAD PACKED

Another (7) Local comes in the other direction,for some reason it said "TO 111 ST", Slightly PACKED

Buses:

From Both Directions every 5 mins

An OG Orion on the Q72, PACKED

An OG on the Q33, PACKED

AN XD40 on the Q70, not as packed as the ones I mentioned

Thats it.

My Rush Hour looks something like this...

AM- <6> from Pelham Bay Park to 125th St transferring to the (4)(5) to some express stop depeding on where exactly i'm heading. The trains are usually crowded and quite slow at times. Sometimes Rush Hour doesn't seem like the proper name for the period. A bus preceeds this trip which will be either the Bx12/23/Q50. The bus trip rarely exceeds 5 minutes and the Q50 which only shows up first for me about 30% of the time is the most crowded of the bunch where I get on.

PM- I don't have one particular commute pattern I rely on for the PM Rush but if I had to give a bus route I use most frequently it would be the Bx12 Select. I find the ride to be rather quick which goes against the commonly held narrative regarding the route but other than that there's nothing much that stands out in particular about it that hasn't been mentioned in various posts here. My biggest worry with this route and nearly all modes of transit in this city are wait times. It's possible to have gaps in SBS service of 20+ minutes during the mid afternoon when service is scheduled every 5-6 minutes. To be honest I have a similar opinion of the Bx28/38 which I also use except I find the Gun Hill traffic between WPR and Bainbridge to be more of a nuisance than Fordham.

A little update on the (MTA) Bus schedules that have transfers on them:

Q6, 7, 8, 11/21, 22, 23 and 25/34

I realized this several weeks ago because at first it was only the Q6 and Q8 that had the transfers. I wonder why the listing of transfer on those schedules are coming out slow. The transfer notes on the bottom have been added on all the Spring/Summer updates as well as the apple award but no transfers except for a few. Interesting but strange at the same time.

It's pretty confusing during the summer when the local Bx12 gets extended to Inwood during the weekends: During the day, the local 12's take a completely different route out of 207 (a left turn loop instead of the typical right turn loop) than the hawk trips at night.

Plus, none of the stops are marked. I was at 10th Avenue heading to the Bronx and waited at the unmarked lollipop pole away from the SBS stop and the local bus did make the stop at the unmarked pole (and I was the only one who got on, everyone else kept waiting for the SBS.)

It's pretty confusing during the summer when the local Bx12 gets extended to Inwood during the weekends: During the day, the local 12's take a completely different route out of 207 (a left turn loop instead of the typical right turn loop) than the hawk trips at night.

Plus, none of the stops are marked. I was at 10th Avenue heading to the Bronx and waited at the unmarked lollipop pole away from the SBS stop and the local bus did make the stop at the unmarked pole (and I was the only one who got on, everyone else kept waiting for the SBS.)

I've been using the BxM1 of late and have been seeing artics laid over by 207th, but going towards Dyckman.  Was completely confused as to what buses those were.  Interesting nonetheless.  What I find annoying about those buses is they never pull into the damn curb, so they block up part of Broadway forcing traffic along with the BxM1 to go around and cause more congestion.  Noticed this yesterday as I was on the BXM1 heading to the city.

4880 also has LBSS removed. Bus is a beast! And pretty damn solid! 4800s>7000s.

This means I'll be getting more clips of the 4800s when I come back to the East coast.... :D

Some of LGA's RTS' are out on the Q20A and Q20B... and surprisingly enough, 7366 is back on the Q26 route again... Man the operators must really like operating it on that route lol

Not really, the operator is probably assigned that bus.