BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Yes, I'm giving it to him and you especially, Speedy González... <_< If anyone should be complaining about speed it is me. I pay a premium for fast service and sometimes I have to wait over 15 minutes for a bus. Meanwhile you folks pay $2.25 and want word class service. The buses are on time and you're still complaining.

There's a difference between fast service and frequent service. And aside from that, there are plenty of SI routes that run every 15 minutes.

Plus, we pay $2.25 because our rides cost less for the MTA to operate. And aside from that, aren't you the one who thinks the fare should be raised for express buses, Mr. I-Want-To-Get-Rid-of-All-The-Riff-Raff (AKA Black people)? Besides, what benefit does anybody get out of purposely keeping the buses slow?

Anyway, I had to come in early for my AP test today. I caught the S89, and I only waited a couple of minutes for the S96. It was full except for the back, but at least I didn't have to worry about whether or not I could actually fit on the bus. I noticed the S44 came that came along with the S89 was 4 minutes late (and the S89 was 2 minutes late), but both were flooring it to catch up to the schedule (and don't give me any crap of "they shouldn't have been driving recklessly" because they weren't. They were just driving a little faster than buses normally do.). Now if only service were like this every day.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a difference between fast service and frequent service. And aside from that, there are plenty of SI routes that run every 15 minutes.

Plus, we pay $2.25 because our rides cost less for the MTA to operate. And aside from that, aren't you the one who thinks the fare should be raised for express buses, Mr. I-Want-To-Get-Rid-of-All-The-Riff-Raff (AKA Black people)? Besides, what benefit does anybody get out of purposely keeping the buses slow?

Anyway, I had to come in early for my AP test today. I caught the S89, and I only waited a couple of minutes for the S96. It was full except for the back, but at least I didn't have to worry about whether or not I could actually fit on the bus. I noticed the S44 came that came along with the S89 was 4 minutes late (and the S89 was 2 minutes late), but both were flooring it to catch up to the schedule (and don't give me any crap of "they shouldn't have been driving recklessly" because they weren't. They were just driving a little faster than buses normally do.). Now if only service were like this every day.

LOL... Riff raff can be all sorts of obnoxious folks not just black folks, but I will say that they tend to be the rowdiest and the women can be really disgusting with the damn perfume stinking up the bus. We had one on the BxM2 on Saturday... Non stop on the damn cell phone. I had my music on, but still... Once I wanted to take a nap it became annoying. The B/O didn't say anything (they usually will if they hear them and will make an announcement saying that cell phones are not allowed on the express bus) and I wasn't in the mood for getting into it that early in the morning since I was heading to the city for a quick breakfast before heading up to Washington Heights for my tutoring session, but I have seen on a few occasions now where passengers will demand quiet on the bus.

We had one another Saturday on the BxM1 and this white lady whirled around and say "Excuse me!! No cell phones on the bus!!" and the black lady (seemed to be a West Indian lady) got an attitude of course. She was not from the neighborhood nor a regular on the bus. Looked like she was a nurse or something, but I was chuckling because sometimes they are just so tacky and loud. I've seen it happen with a white lady too who was yacking. She was one of those horty-torty Upper East Side types and another older white lady whirled around and said "Excuse me, can you keep your voice down!!" She was disturbing her reading time. :lol: Riverdale folks do not like noise and they don't tolerate it. When they "ask" it is more like they demand it because that white lady on the BxM1 got really nasty and talked about how there are signs clearly posted that say no cell phones and then proceeded to point the signs out to the black lady, then whirled around and kept reading her newspaper. :lol: I moved to the perfect place since I'm the same way. For the most part it is VERY quiet and there is no riff raff, but occasionally you do have your odd ball that will get on in Kingsbridge and heads will whirl around. I imagine they must get on by the Yonkers border too because I'll see a black or two on occasion when I get on, but it is usually all white for the most part. The Latinos that do get on (which isn't many) usually get on or off in Kingsbridge and a few here and there in Riverdale, but not often. They tend to use the local bus, which I notice has a lot of blacks too coming up to Riverdale for work (depending on the time of day) but a decent amount of whites as well.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On the topic... Base off of what I have seen the 100 waits for the 12. I once saw a B/O sit at Bradford for an extra seven minutes after he was supposed to leave. And I've never missed a connection between a 12 and an 100.

To be honest...i like bustime because it shows where the bus is at...however...i do not like the fact that buses have to cruise at 25mph! i was on a S53 and its packed...driver doing about 20mph in a LFS 8020...then i hop on the B1 XD40 4868...lady driving... flying down 86st making that bus sing! :) and it became crowded...so people didnt really miss the bus....i hope brooklyn is the last borough to get it...if bus drivers have to cruise down the streets.

It's really annoying me that B/O's are purposely driving slow just to stay on schedule. I get the fact that they can't be early, but that should not matter. What's important is people getting to their destinations and making their transfers. I almost missed the S61 because the B/O on the S53 purposely decided to catch 2 red lights. <_<

yess i agree! also happened to me on a Orion VII 3g on the S52 7069 on Beach ST

I pay a premium for fast service and sometimes I have to wait over 15 minutes for a bus. Meanwhile you folks pay $2.25 and want word class service. The buses are on time and you're still complaining.

No no, you pay a premium for your comfy seat and long distance trip. You get the same service as me, at my cheap old $2.25. Just keeping you honest here...

Don't give him that "leave earlier" crap. There's no reason buses should have to waste time when people have places to be. Is it the B/O's fault? No, but there's no reason for this problem to continue.

It's ok checkmatechamp. He was giving a good word of advice to me.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

No no, you pay a premium for your comfy seat and long distance trip. You get the same service as me, at my cheap old $2.25. Just keeping you honest here...

Try telling MetroNorth commuters that their seats are comfy (if they even get one at $7.50 from Spuyten Duyvil), so no no.... You're not keeping me honest.

Try telling MetroNorth commuters that their seats are comfy (if they even get one at $7.50 from Spuyten Duyvil), so no no.... You're not keeping me honest.

They're more comfortable than the local bus seats.

And aside from that, your trip is longer, the service is heavily peaked, and the turnover is less, so it costs a lot more for the MTA to operate. Plus, try getting a seat on most local bus routes or the subway during rush hour (assuming you're not near the beginning of the route). Not happening...

On a side note, I saw a traffic checker both on the S44 going to school, and the tripper going back. The B/O said "You're the first one to dip in a MetroCard", and I said "What's my prize?" :P

And VG8, don't comment on that. You already broke your promise about not turning the other thread into a discussion on farebeating ("Oh, look, he's justifying stealing") <_<

They're more comfortable than the local bus seats.

And aside from that, your trip is longer, the service is heavily peaked, and the turnover is less, so it costs a lot more for the MTA to operate. Plus, try getting a seat on most local bus routes or the subway during rush hour (assuming you're not near the beginning of the route). Not happening...

On a side note, I saw a traffic checker both on the S44 going to school, and the tripper going back. The B/O said "You're the first one to dip in a MetroCard", and I said "What's my prize?" :P

And VG8, don't comment on that. You already broke your promise about not turning the other thread into a discussion on farebeating ("Oh, look, he's justifying stealing") <_<

Well they're (MetroNorth prices) triple the price of the local bus so they should be more comfortable. What's funny is the express buses offer more comfort and are less expensive. I don't see how MetroNorth should be so uberly expensive either especially when you have folks standing.

On your side note, isn't that cute... <_<

Well they're (MetroNorth prices) triple the price of the local bus so they should be more comfortable. What's funny is the express buses offer more comfort and are less expensive. I don't see how MetroNorth should be so uberly expensive either especially when you have folks standing.

On your side note, isn't that cute... <_<

Yes, and the last time I checked, it was more comfortable to sit than stand (and IIRC, the seats aren't that uncomfortable anyway. Aren't they some kind of leather or something?). In any case, most people don't pay the daily fare: They just get the monthly pass, which is slightly cheaper than the express bus (though of course, it isn't valid on anything else but Metro-North, so it's only cheaper if you work by Grand Central). But I don't get why the Metro-North is more expensive than the express bus either. Maybe it's to limit the number of people who get on (so they don't make trains more crowded for the Westchester riders)

As for my comment, would you prefer I farebeat like everybody else? Because technically the bus only had one passenger even though it was basically full to the back. Obviously the B/O knew I was kidding.

I heard it in passing at a union meeting yesterday morning. They didnt say much about it. Just that its gonna be done at the base shops instead of cummins facilities and there are about 400 buses on the TA side and 300 on the OA side that are gonna get it.

I heard it in passing at a union meeting yesterday morning. They didnt say much about it. Just that its gonna be done at the base shops instead of cummins facilities and there are about 400 buses on the TA side and 300 on the OA side that are gonna get it.

Oh I hope that's not true...just when I was getting optimistic about the DD12 and all returning. Wonder if it'd be for the O7 CNG...

Oh I hope that's not true...just when I was getting optimistic about the DD12 and all returning. Wonder if it'd be for the O7 CNG...

I started a thread on this topic in late 2010. I will bump it, and provide updated details as soon as I find it. Yes, this does include Orion VII CNG's, and that's a DD11 you mean.

The DD11 will have to pass an MTA evaluation before they would order them in bulk. MTA has been evaluating the Cummins repower for quite some time now.

I started a thread on this topic in late 2010. I will bump it, and provide updated details as soon as I find it. Yes, this does include Orion VII CNG's, and that's a DD11 you mean.

The DD11 will have to pass an MTA evaluation before they would order them in bulk. MTA has been evaluating the Cummins repower for quite some time now.

Whoops typo there, but right, I'm just waiting on when that evaluation will/might happen!

I'd completely forgotten about that Cummins thread you made, that was a while ago, didn't realize they were going ahead with it! That's a shame to me though, I love those engines in the O7 CNGs.

Whoops typo there, but right, I'm just waiting on when that evaluation will/might happen!

I'd completely forgotten about that Cummins thread you made, that was a while ago, didn't realize they were going ahead with it! That's a shame to me though, I love those engines in the O7 CNGs.

Yeah me too. I love those DD they have on the Orion VII OG CNG at WF. They're loud but I love it.

I missed the S44 this morning, but an S89 was close behind, so I didn't bother run (why run when you can have the bus do the work for you? :P ) We caught up to the S44 at Walker Street and I waved at the driver (I wasn't about to tap on the door since I only do that if I actually need the bus. I was planning on getting off at the next stop anyway, so obviously it wouldn't be the end of the world if I missed it) and he let me on. He was also looking to pull out and make a turn, so I didn't want to distract him. He saw that there were still cars blocking him from pulling out, so the couple of seconds I spent getting on wouldn't make a difference).

Going back, one of the St. George-bound S46 trippers had a sign that said "S94: SI Mall". I wasn't wearing my glasses, so it is possible that he could've had it as "S96: St. George" (which would make sense. He could help out some of the riders along Castleton Avenue and the local trippers would handle the local riders), but I don't think that was the case.

Well, say goodbye to Gleason's Orion V CNGs, as the Next batch of 2012 C40LF's are making their way in!! So far, the ONLY ones I know of in service are 9843, 9845, and 9864. The rest have either been retired/stored or shipped to other garages for their remainder of their lives! I as a driver LOVE those buses and it will be sad to see them go!!!!