BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the easiest depot to get into, in all of the boroughs? My family is planning to go to NYC on Labor Day, and I need some media for a project, so yeah.

Get into? The closest you're gonna get is any shots of a depot is from the street.

The MTA doesn't do tours of their facilities, at least I don't think they have ever done so. Unless you work at MTA, you aren't allowed to enter a depot, to do so would be trespassing.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Get into? The closest you're gonna get is any shots of a depot is from the street.

The MTA doesn't do tours of their facilities, at least I don't think they have ever done so. Unless you work at MTA, you aren't allowed to enter a depot, to do so would be trespassing.

Oh please.  Plenty of crazed bus fans do it. Anything for a picture....  <_<

They used to, I don't think they do it anymore. They did it for Grand Avenue a few times.

What's the easiest depot to get into, in all of the boroughs? My family is planning to go to NYC on Labor Day, and I need some media for a project, so yeah.

Like BM5 said, you don't work there, you don't go in there.

As for pictures, the "easiest" ones is the ones with gates and all like WF, CS, and ECH. Although I was able to take a tiny peek of what was inside ENY with those open doors and gates.

Oh please. Plenty of crazed bus fans do it. Anything for a picture.... <_<

Do you know if these "fans" work there or not?

Do you know if these "fans" work there or not?

I would feel quite comfortable betting on the idea that a good portion of them don't work there.  With the newer depots it's more difficult to enter, but with the old ones...  I've been to a few of the old depots with my uncle back in the day when they were absolute dumps (the old Mother Clara Hale Depot comes to mind) and I don't know who in their right minds would want to trespass to walk in some of those run down facilities.  We only went there so I can use the restroom and get back on the bus for his next trip.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

OK

@BM5 

Thanks for the info. I'll have to go hunting then.

@VG8

Yep. Although, I don't imagine one will do anything. They'll cut their losses at somepoint

@MysteriousBtrain

And I'll double-check after I post this, but all those are in the Bronx, with the exception of CS(Queens), right?

They're starting to un-abbreviate some destination signs. Some that I've noticed is that on the Q44, it used to say "W. Farms Sq", now it says "West Farms Sq". On the XD40s (not sure about other buses), it says "FORT TOTTEN" on the Q16 instead of "FT TOTTEN."

Edited by R188 7857

They're starting to un-abbreviate some destination signs. Some that I've noticed is that on the Q44, it used to say "W. Farms Sq", now it says "West Farms Sq". On the XD40s (not sure about other buses), it says "FORT TOTTEN" on the Q16 instead of "FT TOTTEN."

Yep.

On the Q32, it says "via Roosevelt" instead of "via Roosvlt" (on the XD40's)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, the M34, M34A, and BM5 stop is finally restored at 34 Street/5 Avenue (EB). I saw it on Saturday, looks pretty cool.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

lol... You passed up a newer bus for one of those old buses? The old ones out of that depot are filthy. Then again the new buses aren't much better.

The only reason why I did it is because I always take the LFSA's on the Q44. I don't ride the D60HF's that often so I wanted to ride one and it happened to be a 2000 bus. I took D60's on the Q10 but that was about 5 times. Every time I take the Q10 now I pretty much catch Orion VII's.

If you go to Mets Willets Point there is a walkway that goes over CS and Corona Yard

Also CS is getting XD40 at a good time right now. Since the Q44 is going to become SBS soon, when they put shorties on the Q44 they need shorties that can display blue signs which are the XD40's. To those who don't believe the Q44 will have shorties when it become SBS they should ride it now shorties are still pretty common on the line especially during weekends. It be weird having an SBS fleet of XD40's (Unwrapped of course) and LFSA's.

If you go to Mets Willets Point there is a walkway that goes over CS and Corona Yard

Also CS is getting XD40 at a good time right now. Since the Q44 is going to become SBS soon, when they put shorties on the Q44 they need shorties that can display blue signs which are the XD40's. To those who don't believe the Q44 will have shorties when it become SBS they should ride it now shorties are still pretty common on the line especially during weekends. It be weird having an SBS fleet of XD40's (Unwrapped of course) and LFSA's.

I have that feeling that when it hits 2020, those wraps will be extinct since nearly half of the bus fleet would be equipped with those new signs and routes like the M35 keep using those buses and likely keep on confusing passengers because they never saw those buses before. Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Yesterday's Q28 was real messed up during the rush. 7369 was packed above the white line (think that was a rush hour put-in), and the (dispatcher?) told that bus to go before it was crowded to the point where it was unsafe, and there was a bus right behind it, which was 4195. The bus operator always does the Q28 and I do see him quite often. I got on that one, and before that was even half full, the guy told us to leave as there was yet another bus right behind. Two more buses just arrived at Flushing, and one of them deadheaded straight to Bay Terrace without picking anyone up. As I got off my bus, 6880 was NIS right behind a Q31 and our bus. Soon, on BusTime, before 7369 and 4195 (the two buses that left together) even reached Bay Terrace, 6880 was doing the run to Flushing. And of course, behind the three buses (2 in service, one NIS) was 6068. It was a disaster. There was at huge service gap between Bay Terrace and Flushing to the point where there were pretty much no buses between 23 av and Union Street going to Bay Terrace.

He could also go to LaGuardia from the N and taking the Q69. It depends on where he's staying.

That has nothing to do with anything whatsoever, but thanks for playing. 

B*ullshit it doesn't.  You would have to be a fool to not notice how the traffic lights have purposely been made OUT of sync to slow down traffic. It's almost impossible to gather any real speed on the streets anywhere in the city, except really late at night if then.  I didn't vote for that idiot and I want him OUT.  Even the liberals don't like him.  The only thing he has been doing so far is investing in repaving the streets, but everything else under him has become progressively worse. Blame Bloomberg for the homeless problem all you want but Bloomberg isn't the mayor, HE is, and this city is going to sh*t.  Bums everywhere, violent crimes are up, can't get to work in a reasonable amount of time, etc., etc. etc. It's enough to make upper class folks move OUT to the suburbs, and now he is trying to ram affordable housing into affluent neighborhoods.  I'm watching closely and if Riverdale goes down hill because of him I'm getting the hell out of the city altogether and moving up to Westchester.  Hopefully Scarsdale or Bronxville or one or the rivertowns will still be decent for upper and upper middle class professionals and not overrun with thugs.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

B*ullshit it doesn't.  You would have to be a fool to not notice how the traffic lights have purposely been made OUT of sync to slow down traffic. It's almost impossible to gather any real speed on the streets anywhere in the city, except really late at night if then.

I'm fairly certain there have been no changes to light timing to disrupt traffic. If anything, the city tries to avoid that as it's a lose-lose for everybody: faster acceleration, later braking, etc. The lights are timed for moving traffic, as they've always been. I haven't noticed any changes in timing while driving or biking recently.