BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fairly certain there have been no changes to light timing to disrupt traffic. If anything, the city tries to avoid that as it's a lose-lose for everybody: faster acceleration, later braking, etc. The lights are timed for moving traffic, as they've always been. I haven't noticed any changes in timing while driving or biking recently. 

I certainly have.  I've been going down certain streets for years and all of the express bus drivers have noticed it and are complaining to their union.  The guys at Yonkers can't make their trips on time even with it being summer time.  It never used to be like this.  I have to leave an extra half-hour earlier or I will be late.

The LIRR was out for most of the day too, that probably had something to do with all the traffic...

Yep... They were cross honoring to the subway out there.  I would've just taken the express bus in.  No true self-respecting suburbanite rides into work on the filthy subway.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I certainly have.  I've been going down certain streets for years and all of the express bus drivers have noticed it and are complaining to their union.  The guys at Yonkers can't make their trips on time even with it being summer time.  It never used to be like this.  I have to leave an extra half-hour earlier or I will be late.

Not the reasons. Increased traffic? Yes. We have that. Retimed streets to slow buses? No. 

They can and they do re-time the signals.

http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/493-14/mayor-de-blasio-signs-new-law-lowering-new-york-city-s-default-speed-limit-25-mph#/0

"The City will continue retooling traffic signal timing and adjusting street designs to improve safety and reduce speeding through its Safe Routes to School, Arterial Slow Zone, and Neighborhood Slow Zone programs."

Oh please... Too many pedestrian plazas and bike lanes and bike stations making for less space for traffic.

Those are explicitly designed not to slow traffic. The "bike stations" are on the curb, for god's sake.

They can and they do re-time the signals.

http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/493-14/mayor-de-blasio-signs-new-law-lowering-new-york-city-s-default-speed-limit-25-mph#/0

"The City will continue retooling traffic signal timing and adjusting street designs to improve safety and reduce speeding through its Safe Routes to School, Arterial Slow Zone, and Neighborhood Slow Zone programs."

Yeah, obviously...to smooth traffic, not to disrupt it.

Those are explicitly designed not to slow traffic. The "bike stations" are on the curb, for god's sake.

On the "curb" that was once part of the street... Very cute... Let's use Columbus Avenue as an example... Street was repaved and reduced by at least TWO lanes.  One lane for biking and then you have all of the trucks double parking, which means three lanes for traffic instead of four lanes.

I remember the days where 9th/10th had pretty good signal timing and you could go from 42nd to anywhere between 57th and 66th without stopping (doing 30mph of course). 5th/Madison and 1st/2nd were good too.

On another note, Bx5 signs have been going up in the Bay Plaza area and it looks like they'll indeed be sharing stops with the Bx12.

The 12 will also have some extended hawk runs (2 buses between 12am and 1am) out of BP starting Sunday instead of starting by the depot.

There is still a gap of 24 minutes between the last Bx12 SBS (10:00) and the first Bx12 local (10:24) out of Bay Plaza.

IMO, having variations or services makes it more difficult to schedule when you have different headways. Some of the express buses have unusual changes in headways when the variation of service changes.

Some of the Brooklyn limited-stop buses have that too during midday and evening hours.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Yeah and? God forbid a bus doesn't run every five minutes on that line.... <_<

The Bx12 can still get crowded at that time, the gap is 24 minutes, the normal headway is 15 minutes, you figure out what could happen, even worse during the holidays.

IMO, having variations or services makes it more difficult to schedule when you have different headways. Some of the express buses have unusual changes in headways when the variation of service changes.

Some of the Brooklyn limited-stop buses have that too during midday and evening hours.

On Sunday the MTA has the first local leave at 10:06 after the last SBS leaves at 10:00 (and the local can still have a near seated load on a Sunday night after a 6 minute gap). MTA could have the last run from Pelham Bay start from Bay Plaza at 10:09 instead on weekdays. That gap makes it impossible to get the last Bx5 from Pelham Bay Park unless one rushes to another bus stop and hopes that another bus will get to Pelham Bay in time (Bx23, Bx29, Q50).