BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Well, say goodbye to Gleason's Orion V CNGs, as the Next batch of 2012 C40LF's are making their way in!! So far, the ONLY ones I know of in service are 9843, 9845, and 9864. The rest have either been retired/stored or shipped to other garages for their remainder of their lives! I as a driver LOVE those buses and it will be sad to see them go!!!!

And I as a rider love those buses! That's a shame, thinking about the C40LFs being retired I forgot the O5s were going as well. That should be the first time in 15 years that Gleason will have no high floor buses, right? Shame...

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I as a rider love those buses! That's a shame, thinking about the C40LFs being retired I forgot the O5s were going as well. That should be the first time in 15 years that Gleason will have no high floor buses, right? Shame...

Yes it is a shame!!!! Out of at least 700 drivers in Gleason, I was 1 of 4 Drivers that actually FOUGHT to pull one out damn near everyday!!! With the run I have now I cannot drive them anymore being I have relief runs all week long. Man I'm gonna miss them dearly!! The ringing, the turbo, the comfort, everything about those buses!!!!

I'm trying to imagine the Bx12 using 40 foot buses. It's hard to picture what that would look like and the chaos that could possibly ensue.

Ummm....I've seen it plenty of times out there, NGs and Orion Vs on the Bx12. What makes it worst is that they were on the SBS!!!!

I'm trying to imagine the Bx12 using 40 foot buses. It's hard to picture what that would look like and the chaos that could possibly ensue.

This happens plenty of times but usually as late pull outs...you'll see them on the Bx 4/4a, 5 and 22 occasionally as well.

This happens plenty of times but usually as late pull outs...you'll see them on the Bx 4/4a, 5 and 22 occasionally as well.

I'm was imagining the Bx12 running without any artics whatsoever. I can't see that route functioning with a regular fleet 40 footers especially during rush hour.

People that ride bicycles in bus only lanes when there are bike lanes available on the same street should be stopped and ticketed. They cause just as much if not more of a problem to bus operators as cars do imo...

Speaking about the Bx22, I remember seeing an Orion V out on the 22 not so long ago. It's a little bit of a weird sight as I used to seeing D60's on that route.

People that ride bicycles in bus only lanes when there are bike lanes available on the same street should be stopped and ticketed. They cause just as much if not more of a problem to bus operators as cars do imo...

I agree. A lot of bicyclist think just because they have a bike, they are not going to disturb any buses in the bus only lane. They disturb as much as cars. Fordham road is a great example of seeing stuff like this. * Nods head in disbelief * I don't understand why people can't understand that is a Bus only lane...

9690 is one of the best 9600s ever!

Randomest thought i've seen in this thread... ;)

Anyway, what will happen to the buses that lose the BT&E that are currently in the fleet? Will we keep them, or will they be sent back?

I'm was imagining the Bx12 running without any artics whatsoever. I can't see that route functioning with a regular fleet 40 footers especially during rush hour.

Funny you mention that I remember riding an RTS on the Bx12 one night when I was a lot younger. When there were 40 footers on the route the headway was much shorter...much more runs etc...

Yep, I said it... FOLKS DO NOT SLEEP ON UTICA! :o

As an operator on the 46, I can tell you that late (Saturday) nights after 11pm, going towards the Willy B, there's a 10-12 minute headway which seems ridiculous. There's absolutely no way to keep time once the sun goes down. lol

We have LTD service til 11:30pm, but I'm thinking extending it to 12:30am may help speed up the pace of buses to avoid bus bunching as I've notice every Saturday since the pick started, plus an additional bus to make it 7 buses per hour instead of 6.

Edited by Acela Express

Funny you mention that I remember riding an RTS on the Bx12 one night when I was a lot younger. When there were 40 footers on the route the headway was much shorter...much more runs etc...

Yeah, it was a sight to see when the route was all RTS. Same as the M15. That was always my favorite route because you would have 9-10 RTS' back-to-back sometimes.

The Yonkers B/O drivers are so friggin' rude... Either that or just spaced out... People greet them and they just stare at them like aliens out of space. I'll speak to the regulars that speak to me but other than that's it.

That probably has to do with some of the people that those bus drivers have to deal with. For example I was on the BxM1 a few days ago and this woman wanted to get of at 93rd and 3rd because she missed her previous stop. The bus driver responded and said "I can't do that miss." She yelled at him. To me this is an example of how irrational some of these riders can get--especially because the next stop she could of used was 96th street.

Edited by DanTheTransitMan

That probably has to do with some of the people that those bus drivers have to deal with. For example I was on the BxM1 a few days ago and this woman wanted to get of at 93rd and 3rd because she missed her previous stop. The bus driver responded and said "I can't do that miss." She yelled at him. To me this is an example of how irrational some of these riders can get--especially because the next stop she could of used was 96th street.

Well they have some pretty stupid rules on the Yonkers' buses (particularly the Riverdale buses), one of them being that they want you to stay seated until the bus comes to a friggin' stop, which I can understand for obvious reasons. Okay fine, but then some of them won't wait for you to get up and will try to take off before everyone has gotten off of the bus, so it's like make up your mind. <_< Quite frankly these B/Os out of Yonkers are more aggravating than the Staten Island B/Os... Then some of them want to enforce the no cell phone rule, yet some let folks yack endlessly like no tomorrow. I've got no problem with the "rules", but they should be enforced across the board. Yesterday I requested the stop for Henry Hudson Parkway and 232nd street and the B/O pulls up to the light where the bus stop is located then sits there and I had no idea what in the world he was doing so I'm standing there waiting to get off and then I ask him "Are you going to open the door and let me off?" He just sits there like he doesn't hear me. Then he opens the door and lowers the bus. Apparently he had to let the wheelchairs off of the bus, but say something. Don't just sit there like I'm a friggin' mind reader. Completely rude @ssholes and my patience with the rudeness has already worn out. I mean some of them are okay, but some of them are just out and out rude for no reason. I remember on the BxM1 one morning a lady didn't request the stop at 96th & Lex in time and so the driver literally scolded her and started huffing and puffing about how she has to request the stop beforehand. Mind you I was all the way in the back and could hear her going off. Her attitude was so unnecessary and her talking down to her like the old lady was a child or something. I was rather peeved to be honest, because I think respect is due to elders unless they're rude, but I still spoke when I got off and she acted like she barely wanted to speak. I thought to myself, this chick obviously needs to get laid. :P

P.S. You must mean Lex and 96th... 3rd Ave is not drop-off, but pick up.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Well they have some pretty stupid rules on the Yonkers' buses (particularly the Riverdale buses), one of them being that they want you to stay seated until the bus comes to a friggin' stop, which I can understand for obvious reasons. Okay fine, but then some of them won't wait for you to get up and will try to take off before everyone has gotten off of the bus, so it's like make up your mind. <_< Quite frankly these B/Os out of Yonkers are more aggravating than the Staten Island B/Os... Then some of them want to enforce the no cell phone rule, yet some let folks yack endlessly like no tomorrow. I've got no problem with the "rules", but they should be enforced across the board. Yesterday I requested the stop for Henry Hudson Parkway and 232nd street and he pulls up to the light then sits there and I had no idea what in the world he was doing so I'm standing there waiting to get off and then I ask him "Are you going to open the door and let me off?" He just sits there like he doesn't hear me. Then he opens the door and lowers the bus. Apparently he had to let the wheelchairs off of the bus, but say something. Completely rude @ssholes and my patience with the rudeness has already worn out. I mean some of them are okay, but some of them are just out and out rude for no reason. I remember on the BxM1 one morning a lady didn't request the stop at 96th & Lex in time and so the driver literally scolded her and started huffing and puffing about how she has to request the stop beforehand. Mind you I was all the way in the back and could hear her going off. Her attitude was so unnecessary and her talking down to her like the old lady was a child or something. I was rather peeved to be honest, but I still spoke when I got off and she acted like she barely wanted to speak.

Well that's the same with all bus drivers out any of the MTA depots--you have the kind drivers and you have the rude drivers. Regarding your point on the Yonkers bus drivers; I just don't see them in the light that you are describing. As a whole, if we are going by generalizations, I would say that Yonkers bus drivers are quite, if anything. I have not encountered any of the events that you have described.

Well that's the same with all bus drivers out any of the MTA depots--you have the kind drivers and you have the rude drivers. Regarding your point on the Yonkers bus drivers; I just don't see them in the light that you are describing. As a whole, if we are going by generalizations, I would say that Yonkers bus drivers are quite, if anything. I have not encountered any of the events that you have described.

Yes, some can be quiet and most usually are. The thing is you rarely get the same driver like you do with most depots so you get exposed to all types of drivers and with me riding 7 days a week and sometimes making multiple trips to and from the city to Riverdale, I've had some drivers several times already. I find the old timers are more polite. The young bucks (rookies) coming in are usually rude as hell and just stare at you if you speak or whatever.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Yes, some can be quiet and most usually are. The thing is you rarely get the same driver like you do with most depots so you get exposed to all types of drivers and with me riding 7 days a week and sometimes making multiple trips to and from the city to Riverdale, I've had some drivers several times already. I find the old timers are more polite. The young bucks (rookies) coming in are usually rude as hell and just stare at you if you speak or whatever.

I love the young guys, they usually have a lot of charisma, and haul some serious ass when need be. The old fellows tend to be a little more conservative when it comes to driving.

I love the young guys, they usually have a lot of charisma, and haul some serious ass when need be. The old fellows tend to be a little more conservative when it comes to driving.

This is true, though Friday... Oh God... I had a rookie driving the BxM18... So he comes late because of traffic which was understandable... But then I don't know what happened, but instead of taking the Harlem River Driver since the Major Deegan must've been backed up, I wake up and we're near the Bruckner Expressway and we're all looking at each other like what in the hell is this guy doing??? It took almost an hour and 30 minutes to get from 44th & Madison to 235th & Henry Hudson Parkway, a trip that normally takes 30 minutes when you get a B/O that knows what he's doing. <_<