BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Price should have nothing on having outlets on buses, oh because you pay more so you feel

You should have access to a outlet? It's either for everybody or nobody. You think local bus isn't a long ride? Some local bus routes in queens are over one hour with traffic.

It's a premium fare for a reason, you know. 

So what if these buses are over an hour with traffic? Only a small percentage probably take the bus from end to end on some routes. Most commutes are long, but they're not as long on the bus (towards the subway) in most cases. It's a real waste of money to do that, just for one or two people at most per bus to possibly use. Then you'll complain when the fare goes up again. It's a Catch 22 however you think about it. You don't want the fare to increase, but you want more amenities on the bus. More amenities means fare increases, due to the sheer amount of money this would need. Nothing would be accomplished to your favor.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but only in 4 spots I believe, and they're covered.  They're not technically for use, but I use them when I need to charge my phone and the B/Os never make a stink.  Of course I'm discreet about it and don't let the cover slam down so they probably don't even notice.

are Riverdale B/O's just as snobby as the riders cause queen's and SI B/O's don't give no f**ks what's so ever

I also see brooklyn B/O's using them while en-route  

Edited by IAlam

No, you don't need outlets on local buses. They should only be on commuter buses (express buses) and commuter trains, where we have LONG commutes. Besides, you only pay $2.75 for your bus ride or $5.50 round trip. What do you expect for such a low fare? $13.00 a day round trip on the express bus or $23.00 round trip for Metro-North round trip with the Shuttle bus is a big difference. Besides if they had them on the local buses, I'm sure someone would go messing with them.

Oh there's places

...just gotta know where to look ;)

are Riverdale B/O's just as snobby as the riders cause queen's and SI B/O's don't give no f**ks what's so ever

I also see brooklyn B/O's using them while en-route  

Snobby in what way?  Yes, there are quite a few that can be snobby.  We always get new ones that come in.  The latest newbies are professional but standoffish, so I get on, pay, and that's it, unless they act as if they want to engage in greetings or greet me.  The ones that I know have been shuffled around, but when I do get them, I chat and shoot the breeze.  Some B/Os are snobs, but Riverdale express buses are known to have riders that will write in and also quite a few higher-ups that work for the (MTA) live in Riverdale, so there is a tendency to tread carefully for that reason, as you never know who is riding and who knows who on our express buses. I have heard this from quite a few B/Os that are friendly with me and that I chat with.  Some of them like doing the Riverdale lines, but others hate it and thus they make it a them vs. us thing.  

There was an engineer who used to get the express bus with me at night who used to work with Joe Lhota.  When we had a problem with our express bus skipping our stop, we both made a stink to folks at the (MTA) and we were able to get a dispatcher to come out and personally look into our problem.  He (the engineer) spoke with Lhota personally.  Turns out it was an issue with the run sheet, as a B/O showed it to me upon me making a stink to him about skipping my stop.  It was fixed much faster as opposed to the standard way (filing a complaint online and waiting MONTHS for it to be taken care of).

Oh there's places

...just gotta know where to look ;)

I'm sure there are some. I just never bothered to look too much, especially since I only ride local buses for short distances in Manhattan primarily and usually stand anyway.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Uhh..on Bustime, it said that 2291 was on the Q76...

That's interesting. What would a Charleston MCI (out of all things) be doing in Queens? Unless that was an error of sorts, which could be the case.

EDIT: It shows 2291 on the X31 in Staten Island

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

No, you don't need outlets on local buses. They should only be on commuter buses (express buses) and commuter trains, where we have LONG commutes. Besides, you only pay $2.75 for your bus ride or $5.50 round trip. What do you expect for such a low fare? $13.00 a day round trip on the express bus or $23.00 round trip for Metro-North round trip with the Shuttle bus is a big difference. Besides if they had them on the local buses, I'm sure someone would go messing with them.

Yeah all it takes is for one person to ruin it for everyone and that is it. If they had outlets on the local/limited buses I expect someone to spill something on the outline a little child playing with the outfit or someone sticking food wrappers paper or gum in the outlets. I mean of course all of those can happen on express buses but generally the people who use the service are adults who appreciate the express bus. If they should no appreciation for it I'm sure they would not pay the high price.

Yeah all it takes is for one person to ruin it for everyone and that is it. If they had outlets on the local/limited buses I expect someone to spill something on the outline a little child playing with the outfit or someone sticking food wrappers paper or gum in the outlets. I mean of course all of those can happen on express buses but generally the people who use the service are adults who appreciate the express bus. If they should no appreciation for it I'm sure they would not pay the high price.

You should ride a Yukon MCI there's graffiti inside those buses drawn in sharpie 

Just in case you haven't found out yet on the Select Bus Service section of the MTA website they now post long term machine outages so folks are aware which stops are out of working machines. To save you the trouble of checking yourself the M15 is out Northbound at Allen/Grand and Southbound at 34th, the M34a S/E bound at 23rd/2nd and B44 at Nostrand/Ave U northbound.

Just in case you haven't found out yet on the Select Bus Service section of the MTA website they now post long term machine outages so folks are aware which stops are out of working machines. To save you the trouble of checking yourself the M15 is out Northbound at Allen/Grand and Southbound at 34th, the M34a S/E bound at 23rd/2nd and B44 at Nostrand/Ave U northbound.

And how public is that? In other words did you go looking for it, or was it advertised?

And how public is that? In other words did you go looking for it, or was it advertised?

It's not advertised but it's not difficult to find. I went looking at their Select Bus Service link under buses to see if there were any updates on the Q44 and B46. I ended up finding the machine outages. It's linked on the page above links of the current SBS routes. 

It's not advertised but it's not difficult to find. I went looking at their Select Bus Service link under buses to see if there were any updates on the Q44 and B46. I ended up finding the machine outages. It's linked on the page above links of the current SBS routes. 

Answers a question I asked on the thread about SBS machines being broken -- obviously machines aren't networked and send info back/forth leading to "in real time" health assessments.  Half-assed solution, IMO.  All I'm saying is you track your bus on BusTime, get to the SBS stop, and machines are down -- except this list doesn't have that info.  This info should be available in the Service Status "widget", especially since MTA and NYCDOT think SBS is the next best thing for bus service since sliced bread.

Also just love how the MTA wants everyone to get off at next stop, lose their seat, pay at the machine, expect the operator to wait (defeating the whole "SBS is faster" malarkey), then get back on, wade through the crowd (who are probably just a bit irritated -- even though it's not the customers' fault), and then the wheels on the bus can go 'round and 'round again.

Priorities, priorities.

Nevertheless your average passenger isn't going to care that much to go looking.  This should be more readily available, perhaps something integrated within BusTIme for passengers.  They can be notified as to if the stop at their machine is broken or not.

Nevertheless your average passenger isn't going to care that much to go looking. This should be more readily available, perhaps something integrated within BusTIme for passengers. They can be notified as to if the stop at their machine is broken or not.

I'm my opinion bustime could be useful in telling passengers if the SBS machine is down but do you think the MTA is going to do that? I have this feeling that the MTA is going to get rid of SBS type service one day. That is more more maintaining the machines keeping the buses wrapped and fare beating is high on SBS routes for several reasons. I know if the Q44 got it the people in Flushing would have no idea how to use it because a lot of them don't know where the bus is going and how to use a metrocard.

I'm my opinion bustime could be useful in telling passengers if the SBS machine is down but do you think the MTA is going to do that? I have this feeling that the MTA is going to get rid of SBS type service one day. That is more more maintaining the machines keeping the buses wrapped and fare beating is high on SBS routes for several reasons. I know if the Q44 got it the people in Flushing would have no idea how to use it because a lot of them don't know where the bus is going and how to use a metrocard.

SBS exists because it's far cheaper than building subways, so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.  

If SBS comes to the Q44 it will be a problem here in flushing, many people

Are custom to pay on the bus, many people especially seniors would have a hard time paying at a machine & hold a paper receipt that somebody can easily misplace. I think many flushing residents will just use the Q20 now & Q44 SBS will

Be basically used for Bronx- Jamaica residents as a express route.

I think MTA should have agents helping people pay at the SBS machines at the 38th ave & the 41st ave stops for

Several months to help & show the public. Believe me many people are used to paying on the bus.

If SBS comes to the Q44 it will be a problem here in flushing, many people

Are custom to pay on the bus, many people especially seniors would have a hard time paying at a machine & hold a paper receipt that somebody can easily misplace. I think many flushing residents will just use the Q20 now & Q44 SBS will

Be basically used for Bronx- Jamaica residents as a express route.

I think MTA should have agents helping people pay at the SBS machines at the 38th ave & the 41st ave stops for

Several months to help & show the public. Believe me many people are used to paying on the bus.

Oh please.  They'll figure it out just like everyone else has.  Put up some Chinese and Korean translations and call it a day.  

They won't fiqure it out most of the people are seniors, &

Walk with canes & have disabilities, the SBS machines even look hard to operate, I tried to use one once in manhattan for the M15 it wouldn't take my dollar bills. I gave up & took a m15 local which was packed.

The SBS machines, like the fareboxes, don't take bills. The bigger machines take metrocards and the slimmer machines takes coins.

Its all explained in the sides and front of the machines, plus been around for quite a number of years now. Not that hard to figure out.