BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

In all honestly they should have a cash option on SBS machines and a credit card reader like the parking meters. These machines are huge they should have enough space

They don't need all of that.  Just allows for more scamming.  The (MTA) has enough machines to maintain to look over as it is.  I'm always jittery about using credit cards for my (MTA) purchases now that so many MVM's had skimmers on them.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idont know but i think the Q50 should be remembered BX50 because first it is dispatched from eastchester in the Bronx also being a and i quote a queens bus line...it only makes 6 bus stops in queens and 19 in the Bronx not to mentioned that the initial runs dispatched from coopcity and the last buses run towards the garage from coop city and not flushing. ..yes is true the Q50 (ex QBX1) was a Queens Surface and the headquarters of Qns Sfc was in college point. ..but the Q50 was totally transferred to eastchester. ..being by 90% a Bronx bus it would be the Only bus route in queens but hey it's already a BX bus inside of it all

Idont know but i think the Q50 should be remembered BX50 because first it is dispatched from eastchester in the Bronx also being a and i quote a queens bus line...it only makes 6 bus stops in queens and 19 in the Bronx not to mentioned that the initial runs dispatched from coopcity and the last buses run towards the garage from coop city and not flushing. ..yes is true the Q50 (ex QBX1) was a Queens Surface and the headquarters of Qns Sfc was in college point. ..but the Q50 was totally transferred to eastchester. ..being by 90% a Bronx bus it would be the Only bus route in queens but hey it's already a BX bus inside of it all

I believe they should leave it as it. I believe when they split the QBx1, they designated like that for riders to know that the bus was going to Queens, rather than it being a bronx bus.

Well this is some intense misery.

Bx15, M60-SBS, M100, M101, Q18, Q19, Q69, Q70-Ltd, Q100 and Q101 buses are running with delays in both directions due to a vehicular accident on the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge

Yup, a M60+Selectbusservice tried to merge and crashed whie going toward West Side :angry: .

I dont usually ride express buses so I was just wondering how transfers from the subway / local bus to express bus work...

Basically, you pay the regular fare on the local bus/subway ($2.75) and I think how it works is that if you transfer to an express bus, you don't have to pay another $2.75. However, you do have to pay the rest of the express bus fare. So, pretty much, you still have to pay, but you don't have to pay the $2.75 from the subway or local bus you just took. 

Edited by R188 7857

I dont usually ride express buses so I was just wondering how transfers from the subway / local bus to express bus work...

when transferring to an express bus from subway/local bus you pay $3.25 I I prefer to just transfer from one express bus to another which is free 

So the M14 was a disaster tonight.  I had a meeting on the Lower East Side and thought I could simply take the M14A there.  I waited for almost 30 minutes and there was not one M14A.  I checked BusTime and at some point 5 were heading the other way.  During that time maybe 4 or 5 M14D's had come.  I eventually got on the 3rd one thinking it would put me somewhat close to where I needed to be but that bus was so packed and slow that I gave up and got off.  So many damn wheelchairs and disabled people.  They had RTS's running on the line in both directions right before rush hour, which is just ridiculous.  Also saw an Orion 40 footer that was packed to the rafters.  I eventually gave up and took a M103 down to Houston and got the (F) to East Broadway and then finished my trip with a lonnnggg walk that I was hoping to avoid by having the M14A.   <_<  I don't understand why they're so short on buses?

Coming back to my office I spent $30 on a taxi.  Much rather that than dealing with that nonsense again and to my surprise I got the first yellow taxi I saw.  Was sheer luck as it was raining out both coming and going, and taxis can be nearly impossible to get as a result.

So the M14 was a disaster tonight.  I had a meeting on the Lower East Side and thought I could simply take the M14A there.  I waited for almost 30 minutes and there was not one M14A.  I checked BusTime and at some point 5 were heading the other way.  During that time maybe 4 or 5 M14D's had come.  I eventually got on the 3rd one thinking it would put me somewhat close to where I needed to be but that bus was so packed and slow that I gave up and got off.  So many damn wheelchairs and disabled people.  They had RTS's running on the line in both directions right before rush hour, which is just ridiculous.  Also saw an Orion 40 footer that was packed to the rafters.  I eventually gave up and took a M103 down to Houston and got the (F) to East Broadway and then finished my trip with a lonnnggg walk that I was hoping to avoid by having the M14A.   <_<  I don't understand why they're so short on buses?

Coming back to my office I spent $30 on a taxi.  Much rather that than dealing with that nonsense again and to my surprise I got the first yellow taxi I saw.  Was sheer luck as it was raining out both coming and going, and taxis can be nearly impossible to get as a result.

Sorry .... just waiting for the violins to kick in ......

Pure setup, please understand, have a giggle ....

Oh, why not (I'll do it for everyone else thinking the same thing):

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry .... just waiting for the violins to kick in ......

Pure setup, please understand, have a giggle ....

Oh, why not (I'll do it for everyone else thinking the same thing):

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Not sure what's so funny. I just took the bus going out of convenience thinking it would be easier than getting a taxi, but I'm still puzzled as to why they're so short on buses.  Believe me I don't suffer.  Any travel expenses that I incur are given back to me and then some so no biggie.  Just thought it was insane to have all of those 40 footers during the beginning of rush hour.

Not sure what's so funny. I just took the bus going out of convenience thinking it would be easier than getting a taxi, but I'm still puzzled as to why they're so short on buses.  Believe me I don't suffer.  Any travel expenses that I incur are given back to me and then some so no biggie.  Just thought it was insane to have all of those 40 footers during the beginning of rush hour.

It's just that you seem to have more of a production budget than major Broadway musicals.  Or, as my drag-queen friends say: drama.

I do realize what you are saying, with the lack of coordination for rush hour.

But ... (shhh, don't tell anyone) ... I chuckle when you have to get out of your Express Bus comfort zone and you have these things happen.  Hopefully nobody scuffed your Pradas in the process.

(Just giving you the business, nothing incendiary.)

The last Bx5 from Pelham Bay on weekdays should run a bit later than 10:22pm (or extend the weekday Bx5 to Bay Plaza). Currently anyone who misses the last Bx12 SBS has to hurry up and get the Q50, Bx29, or Bx23 after 10:00pm and hope that those buses will get to Pelham Bay in time for the last Bx5 bus (10:22pm), seeing as the Bx12 local isn't an option.

At least on weekends a late bus will no longer cause anyone to miss a Bx5 bus (especially the last one) since the route will be directly running to/from Bay Plaza.

Edited by GreatOne2k

It's just that you seem to have more of a production budget than major Broadway musicals.  Or, as my drag-queen friends say: drama.

I do realize what you are saying, with the lack of coordination for rush hour.

But ... (shhh, don't tell anyone) ... I chuckle when you have to get out of your Express Bus comfort zone and you have these things happen.  Hopefully nobody scuffed your Pradas in the process.

(Just giving you the business, nothing incendiary.)

Truth be told if I was really this snob I could simply just call Uber or leave earlier and get a yellow taxi, but I'm fine taking the local bus to most of my meetings.  There is usually better AC and sometimes it's just as fast anyway.  Is it something I like everyday? NOOO, but it's fine here and there.  I will say that I'm not up for the up and down on the subway given how long such a day is with meetings so the fewer the transfers the better.

So the M14 was a disaster tonight. I had a meeting on the Lower East Side and thought I could simply take the M14A there. I waited for almost 30 minutes and there was not one M14A. I checked BusTime and at some point 5 were heading the other way. During that time maybe 4 or 5 M14D's had come. I eventually got on the 3rd one thinking it would put me somewhat close to where I needed to be but that bus was so packed and slow that I gave up and got off. So many damn wheelchairs and disabled people. They had RTS's running on the line in both directions right before rush hour, which is just ridiculous. Also saw an Orion 40 footer that was packed to the rafters. I eventually gave up and took a M103 down to Houston and got the (F) to East Broadway and then finished my trip with a lonnnggg walk that I was hoping to avoid by having the M14A. <_< I don't understand why they're so short on buses?

Coming back to my office I spent $30 on a taxi. Much rather that than dealing with that nonsense again and to my surprise I got the first yellow taxi I saw. Was sheer luck as it was raining out both coming and going, and taxis can be nearly impossible to get as a result.

You should've (and would've been better off) taken the M14D and walking the rest of the way. The D is at most 3 blocks away from the A at any point on the line...well except on Houston.

You should've (and would've been better off) taken the M14D and walking the rest of the way. The D is at most 3 blocks away from the A at any point on the line...well except on Houston.

Oh I know that.  I got on the D in fact and got off because we weren't moving.  I thought about just avoiding the 14 altogether but I figured leaving before 5pm it wouldn't be an issue.  Boy was I wrong. lol  I just wanted to avoid the whole walking thing since the humidity was awful yesterday.

Oh I know that. I got on the D in fact and got off because we weren't moving. I thought about just avoiding the 14 altogether but I figured leaving before 5pm it wouldn't be an issue. Boy was I wrong. lol I just wanted to avoid the whole walking thing since the humidity was awful yesterday.

The M14A/D is a nightmare during the day. Most of the time I just take the (L) or even walk.

There was one day I stopped to get a cup of coffee at the 7 Eleven on 2 Av and as I got out, I saw a M14D there. Had to get to 5 Av to pick up my glasses so I walked across town. Needless to say, I ended up beating the bus there lol

The M14A/D is a nightmare during the day. Most of the time I just take the (L) or even walk.

There was one day I stopped to get a cup of coffee at the 7 Eleven on 2 Av and as I got out, I saw a M14D there. Had to get to 5 Av to pick up my glasses so I walked across town. Needless to say, I ended up beating the bus there lol

Well over the years I've used the M14 here and there enough to know that the D is far more frequent than the A and shows up more than the A even when it's bunched.  I usually just walk along 14th unless I'm really far on the west side and need to get over to say Broadway or something.  I gave myself quite a bit of time for my meeting, and because it was so humid out the M14A would leave me closest, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with it at all.  Once I saw those 40 footers I knew it was likely I would have a wait on my hands, but I figured it would still be better than standing on a hot platform waiting for the (F) . By the time I got to my meeting I was quite disgusted since by then not only was it humid but also raining.  Still arrived early, but I never thought it would take me over an hour for such a short distance.  When it's humid like that I prefer the buses because I can time them with BusTime and walk out of my air conditioned office and onto an air conditioned bus keeping me relatively cool.  With the subway it's less likely.  Same deal with a cab.  Luckily the taxi I had coming back had great AC.

Earlier I was waiting for an SBS 12 at that Bartow Avenue stop just outside Bay Plaza and three Bx29's and a crush loaded SBS Pelham Bay shuttle went by before the first SBS to Inwood.

I'll bet there were buses deadheading back to Pelham Bay that snuck by via the old Bx12 route. That's what I get after my friend insisted on waiting for the direct Bx12 instead of the empty 29 to Pelham Bay then switching over to a local or SBS 12 there.

This was at about 4:30 in the afternoon, which means that the full-route buses were running at a virtual 10-15+ minute headway instead of the 5 on the schedule, which is bullshit for such a busy route. Heck, I'm going to shoot the MTA an email just to see what canned response they'll send.

Is that bus actually used down there? I get the QM16 as Neponsit is very affluent, but an express bus in an urban area with subway service... Doesn't seem like it would do too well..

Yeah. In the mornings, the QM17 buses wait for passengers on Mott Av instead at the Q22 bus stop where I was standing. In the evenings, as you see in the picture, the bus drops of the last passenger at Beach 21st/Mott Av and then the driver puts on the "Not in Service". Then it will turn left on Mott Av and left on Beach Channel Drive to the Depot. In the mornings, I never seen the QM17 ever make a right turn on Mott Av at Beach 21st, most likely due to tight turn with little room they have. I assume they most likely drive on Beach Channel Drive from the Depot and onto Mott Av in the mornings for the first pickup. It's always a problem for the Q22 and NICE buses.

Edited by Q113 LTD

Yeah. In the mornings, the QM17 buses wait for passengers on Mott Av instead at the Q22 bus stop where I was standing. In the evenings, as you see in the picture, the bus drops of the last passenger at Beach 21st/Mott Av and then the driver puts on the "Not in Service". Then it will turn left on Mott Av and left on Beach Channel Drive to the Depot. In the mornings, I never seen the QM17 ever make a right turn on Mott Av at Beach 21st, most likely due to tight turn with little room they have. I assume they most likely drive on Beach Channel Drive from the Depot and onto Mott Av in the mornings for the first pickup. It's always a problem for the Q22 and NICE buses.

So do people use it down there? Last I saw ridership dropped considerably on the QM17. Far Rockaway is affordable so I would think that most people move down there for that reason and just take the (A) to save money.