BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Is that bus actually used down there? I get the QM16 as Neponsit is very affluent, but an express bus in an urban area with subway service... Doesn't seem like it would do too well..

So do people use it down there? Last I saw ridership dropped considerably on the QM17. Far Rockaway is affordable so I would think that most people move down there for that reason and just take the (A) to save money.

Last time I rode the Qm17 Like I said a while ago at the last stop the driver told me to run. As for passengers most people get off earlier in the rockaways. I was the only one who went to the last stop.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: When was the B65 transferred to ENY from JG? I wish they kept it at JG, because I prefer the CNG buses over the Hybrids on that line, but it makes sense why ENY took that route.

I think the transfer happened when GA opened, since GA gave some more space to certain depots and it was perhaps cheeper and/or easier to base it out of ENY.

Is that bus actually used down there? I get the QM16 as Neponsit is very affluent, but an express bus in an urban area with subway service... Doesn't seem like it would do too well..

In Far Rockaway you mean? Generally, No.

So do people use it down there? Last I saw ridership dropped considerably on the QM17.

Far Rockaway is affordable so I would think that most people move down there for that reason and just take the (A) to save money.

That (in bold) had nothing to do with Far Rockaway itself, but the Q52 can be thanked for that.....

(As iAlam later mentions, which is true btw, most of the QM17 ridership is in Hammels & Arverne - which he implicitly states as being "earlier" in the Rockaways)

Folks take the bus up to Rockaway Blvd subway for the A, instead of taking the (A) from the Rockaways itself...... This tells you just how much (A) service sucks in the Rockaways.....

At this point, I would look into doing the "combined" routing (which is rarely done w/ the QM16/17, where PM trips would do the Rockaway Park leg first, then run nonstop to the first outbound stop of the QM17 w/i the rockaways) - with the exception that buses would end with the Q52, instead of running out to Far Rockaway...

Question: When was the B65 transferred to ENY from JG?

I wish they kept it at JG, because I prefer the CNG buses over the Hybrids on that line, but it makes sense why ENY took that route.

Off the top of my head, I think it was in 2008.... Either '07 or '08, but not later than '08....

But yeah, moving it to ENY allowed for interlining w/ the B45.....

1)In Far Rockaway you mean? Generally, No.

That (in bold) had nothing to do with Far Rockaway itself, but the Q52 can be thanked for that.....

(As iAlam later mentions, which is true btw, most of the QM17 ridership is in Hammels & Arverne - which he implicitly states as being "earlier" in the Rockaways)

Folks take the bus up to Rockaway Blvd subway for the A, instead of taking the (A) from the Rockaways itself...... This tells you just how much (A) service sucks in the Rockaways.....

At this point, I would look into doing the "combined" routing (which is rarely done w/ the QM16/17, where PM trips would do the Rockaway Park leg first, then run nonstop to the first outbound stop of the QM17 w/i the rockaways) - with the exception that buses would end with the Q52, instead of running out to Far Rockaway...

2)Off the top of my head, I think it was in 2008.... Either '07 or '08, but not later than '08....

But yeah, moving it to ENY allowed for interlining w/ the B45.....

1. I feel that the QM17 should run until B 20 Street/Seagirt only (DH would also be shorter). I personally never felt that the route should have served the Mott Avenue (A) stop, especially in the way that it does. At worst, I would have it originate/terminate at B 44 Street or B 36 Street. 

2. Seems right, I guess. I remember them having CNG's, but It felt like both like yesterday and like a long time ago that the B65 has had CNG's. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1. I feel that the QM17 should run until B 20 Street/Seagirt only (DH would also be shorter). I personally never felt that the route should have served the Mott Avenue (A) stop, especially in the way that it does. At worst, I would have it originate/terminate at B 44 Street or B 36 Street.

2. Seems right, I guess. I remember them having CNG's, but It felt like both like yesterday and like a long time ago that the B65 has had CNG's.

The QM16 and QM17 don't perform well in Rockaway in general. The QM16 however does see more usage than the QM17. I think what makes the QM17 so unpopular in the Rockaways especially Far Rockaway is the price and the alternatives. You see people board the Q113/Q114 going to Jamaica just to board the (E)(F) and (J) trains. The (A) does suck and it is crazy that it has 25 minute head ways during parts of the day.

Now isn't Grand Ave able to fuel CNG buses and house artic buses?

The QM16 and QM17 don't perform well in Rockaway in general. The QM16 however does see more usage than the QM17. I think what makes the QM17 so unpopular in the Rockaways especially Far Rockaway is the price and the alternatives. You see people board the Q113/Q114 going to Jamaica just to board the (E)(F) and (J) trains. The (A) does suck and it is crazy that it has 25 minute head ways during parts of the day.

Now isn't Grand Ave able to fuel CNG buses and house artic buses?

The 16 and 17 do well in the Rockaways. I wouldn't say they're unpopular there.

As for Grand and CNG's, CNG's aren't allowed in Grand Ave, IIRC.

It won't work, for some odd reasons, all the routes that terminate in Far Rockaway have to serve both Seagirt Blvd/20th and Mott Avenue. It can never be one or the other. In the QM17's case, the express bus terminates Mott because that's where people want to go the most. Mott is where most of the businesses are.

It won't work, for some odd reasons, all the routes that terminate in Far Rockaway have to serve both Seagirt Blvd/20th and Mott Avenue. It can never be one or the other. In the QM17's case, the express bus terminates Mott because that's where people want to go the most. Mott is where most of the businesses are.

And why is that?

While many people go to Mott Avenue, the amount of ridership from there is signifcantly low, compared to all the other buses and the (A). Commercial areas or neighborhoods in the outer boroughs also tend to be where you least get ridership on a route. This happens to be the case with the QM17. Most trips don't pick up riders nor drop off. Now I think there's a partial imbalance, but if you were to see anyone get on at Far Rockaway, you would probably see more riders being picked up to Manhattan than being dropped off there.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

And why is that?

While many people go to Mott Avenue, the amount of ridership from there is signifcantly low, compared to all the other buses and the (A). Commercial areas or neighborhoods in the outer boroughs also tend to be where you least get ridership on a route. This happens to be the case with the QM17. Most trips don't pick up riders nor drop off. Now I think there's a partial imbalance, but if you were to see anyone get on at Far Rockaway, you would probably see more riders being picked up to Manhattan than being dropped off there.

I'm guessing that it's for coverage reasons, and the fact that there's no space on Seagirt and B.20th Street for the QM17 to completely terminate. The Q113,114, n31, and n32 all use that stop to terminate at.

What Im curious about is would the QM16 be more successful if they ran like half the trips to Breezy Point because they currently have no MTA bus service at all or do they just not want MTA service

They just do not want buses running down there. The height of public transportation in Breezy Point, or in the area, was one Q22 trip a day, back in the early 2000's.

They just do not want buses running down there. The height of public transportation in Breezy Point, or in the area, was one Q22 trip a day, back in the early 2000's.

Didn't the Q22 run to Breezy Point because of a school tripper. I don't think it was ever used and that is why the (MTA) doesn't do it. I never understood what the purpose of having a Q22A bus which only made one trip to Mott Ave Station and one stop from Mott Ave. Like where is the potential for any ridership on a route like that.

Didn't the Q22 run to Breezy Point because of a school tripper. I don't think it was ever used and that is why the (MTA) doesn't do it. I never understood what the purpose of having a Q22A bus which only made one trip to Mott Ave Station and one stop from Mott Ave. Like where is the potential for any ridership on a route like that.

The Q22A never went to Breezy Point. It went from Mott Av station and up the street to Dunbar St in Bayswater.

Kinda pointless with one bus in the a.m. and one in the p.m. (that part was true), so they cut it long before the big doomsday cuts of 2010. I'm looking at the 2008 Queens map and there's no mention of it, so it had to be around 2007 or so

The Q22A never went to Breezy Point. It went from Mott Av station and up the street to Dunbar St in Bayswater.

Kinda pointless with one bus in the a.m. and one in the p.m. (that part was true), so they cut it long before the big doomsday cuts of 2010. I'm looking at the 2008 Queens map and there's no mention of it, so it had to be around 2007 or so

I know that I meant to separate the two into two separate thoughts.

The Q22A was discontinued in the fall of 2008 and that Breezy Point Q22 was discontinued I believe sometime in 2004 or 2005.

You didn't see the Q22A on the map because they took it off several months before ever discontinuing it.

Edited by NewFlyer 230