BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

of course it would I bet the only way people differentiate local and express buses is by the physical bus itself. Once it does a drop off some people would try to get regardless of reading the sign on and complain after they get charged extra

Someone did try to get on and he said it was an express bus

The Bx12 was all kinds of strange this afternoon. First, traffic was pretty messy heading westbound. I was jogging along Pelham Parkway between Eastchester and White Plains and in the process I beat not one, not two but three Select buses. Two of those buses didn't even come in the picture until I passed Williamsbridge so they had a massive headstart on my 6 mph average speed. Then we had a couple of eastbound select trips signed to end at Pelham Bay. On the surface this looks like good dispatching given the situation I described but the delays heading westbound cleared up before the short-turns would have been helpful and delays started to come in eastbound around the time those trips would have made it into Co-op. All that did was shift the riderbase most affected by the delays from the riders along Pelham Parkway to the riders waiting for buses in Co-op City. So we had sardine packed buses leaving Bay Plaza at around 7:30 pm. 

The rear doors on the LFSA's really do suck.

They make this loud hissing sound (pretty annoying IMO) and then they open extremely slowly. Then, like on the Q44, when lots of people get off, they keep trying to close and people have to prevent them from closing on them. All you hear is, "doors closing, doors closing, doors closing" and with this rear door pushing against you. At least on all other buses that it was easier to keep the door open when it wants to shut, but on the LFSAs they are awful. Riding an XD40 right after an LFSA, you really do notice a difference when you use the rear doors. Do I need to mention that when someone stands remotely close to the door area when the bus is crowded, it won't close? I don't think I'm the only one who hates the rear door on those buses though..

The rear doors on the LFSA's really do suck.

They make this loud hissing sound (pretty annoying IMO) and then they open extremely slowly. Then, like on the Q44, when lots of people get off, they keep trying to close and people have to prevent them from closing on them. All you hear is, "doors closing, doors closing, doors closing" and with this rear door pushing against you. At least on all other buses that it was easier to keep the door open when it wants to shut, but on the LFSAs they are awful. Riding an XD40 right after an LFSA, you really do notice a difference when you use the rear doors. Do I need to mention that when someone stands remotely close to the door area when the bus is crowded, it won't close? I don't think I'm the only one who hates the rear door on those buses though..

Hahaha... That reminds me back when the LFS' were new to ENY back in June... Whenever someone would press the yellow tape, they were so surprised to see the doors opening inwards as supposed to the Xcelsiors / Orions / RTS that they must be so used to (with the doors opening outwards)

Literally the funniest thing I've ever seen  :D  :D  :D

People jam the M60-SBS all across 125th Street, but more so around St. Nick. The back-back door is stuffed and closing, and people are still try getting on the bus. Then when they realize they can't fit, they just kinda hope one of them sacrifices himself and leaves some space for the others. Then the door closes and opens for like 3 minutes. I've seen it do the door open and close about 19 times at one stop. Then there's that someone who yells "Make some room!", and everyone starts shouting. And on top of that there's the automated announcement.

Rode on a B84 LFS today and i got to say the bus was built well,looks good and everything.

However the capacity is horrible. like dam who the hell they expect take these buses?

One guy had to bend his head in rear of the bus not to mention you got little to no leg room.

Thank god it wasn't on the B6, would've been a nightmare on Flatlands Ave...

I just feel bad for the customers and operators in our case MTA who have to put up with Nova's poor

decision on a bus design. More like a Transit Garbage than a  transit solution...

Rode on a B84 LFS today and i got to say the bus was built well,looks good and everything.

However the capacity is horrible. like dam who the hell they expect take these buses?

One guy had to bend his head in rear of the bus not to mention you got little to no leg room.

Thank god it wasn't on the B6, would've been a nightmare on Flatlands Ave...

I just feel bad for the customers and operators in our case MTA who have to put up with Nova's poor

decision on a bus design. More like a Transit Garbage than a  transit solution...

I really agree with you that the Nova LFS has terrible design. IMO, the Orion VII OG Gen II+, the Orion VII NG, and the Orion V feel like the most spacious buses to me and also have one of the best seating arrangements. The U-shape seating arrangement in the rear makes it so that there's more space for standees, and it also reduces the amount of vandalism at the back of the bus because people can't tag the back of a chair. Not to mention the fabric walls of the OG and NGs also makes it so that they can't write on them. The two seaters are on the driver side of the bus, which offers I think one more seat than the current design as well. The Nova LFS feels tiny compared to the Orion VII NG. The seating arrangement of the rear of the buses also prevents a problem with leg room. The XD40s are a step up from the Nova LFS, but are still smaller (IMO) than what the older buses were. 

Edited by R188 7857

So I was walking along 57 Street today amd saw 2586 with a somewhat big dent on the door side of the bus (just short of the wheelchair door), with some of the paint having been "chipped off". What could've possibly happened.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

As of recent posts in the "Bus moves/transfers" thread, it seems that the depot assignments for the Nova LFS assignment has changed as some units have reached Staten Island for training. I am NOT speculating or being impatient, but would anyone happen to know what the updated assignment is?