BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I really agree with you that the Nova LFS has terrible design. IMO, the Orion VII OG Gen II+, the Orion VII NG, and the Orion V feel like the most spacious buses to me and also have one of the best seating arrangements. The U-shape seating arrangement in the rear makes it so that there's more space for standees, and it also reduces the amount of vandalism at the back of the bus because people can't tag the back of a chair. Not to mention the fabric walls of the OG and NGs also makes it so that they can't write on them. The two seaters are on the driver side of the bus, which offers I think one more seat than the current design as well. The Nova LFS feels tiny compared to the Orion VII NG. The seating arrangement of the rear of the buses also prevents a problem with leg room. The XD40s are a step up from the Nova LFS, but are still smaller (IMO) than what the older buses were. 

With the way the MTA specs the buses, all of what we have feel pretty freaking cramped for no reason. King County Metro's low floors have a lot of standing room and seats. I really wished the TA would learn a thing or two from Seattle.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't stand when people stand in that little area right behind the driver. I don't get why they do it but it is annoying when they are all crowded up there and you need to either get on and move to the back or leave the bus. I'm on the Q25 and there are like 7 people in the front right behind the driver and there is a lot of space to move back into the middle and rear of the bus.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

I can't stand when people stand in that little area right behind the driver. I don't get why they do it but it is annoying when they are all crowded up there and you need to either get on and move to the back or leave the bus. I'm on the Q25 and there are like 7 people in the front right behind the driver and there is a lot of space to move back into the middle and rear of the bus.

There is a sense of "safety" being let out by the driver (as opposed to getting off at the back of a bus).... Which leads to the broader issue - standing by the front door - to be the first one to get off the bus..... Same reason why you get people leaning on the doors & standing by the doors in a subway train.....

This is actually a lame excuse farebeaters use to hop the back of the bus - because there's so many people standing in front... But that's another topic....

There is a sense of "safety" being let out by the driver (as opposed to getting off at the back of a bus).... Which leads to the broader issue - standing by the front door - to be the first one to get off the bus..... Same reason why you get people leaning on the doors & standing by the doors in a subway train.....

This is actually a lame excuse farebeaters use to hop the back of the bus - because there's so many people standing in front... But that's another topic....

There was actually a time where my bus operator told people to pay the fare up front and get in the bus through the back. I just hate it when there's a crowded bus and people act like they're going to die if they step up the stairs into the higher portion of the bus. Nobody ever does it, no matter how many times the driver has to yell for people to step all the way back. They aren't even that tall either. 

6740 is/has not been on the x27. It's on the 1 shuttle Downtown. Sometimes, buses they are assigned to a shuttle will somehow pop up on BusTime as other routes.

Happens on that damn (3) shuttle all the time. One day I checked BusTime and saw there was a LFS on the B7...messed my whole head up until I saw it was a shuttle bus lol

Are buses that get transferred to a depot of a different company always supposed to get new MTA decals? Or is that something that nobody cares about? I've been seeing a lot of MTA Bus Company buses on routes that usually belong to New York City Bus. I'd also like to know if the Orion V diesels are getting retired soon?

I also saw one of the new C40LFs on the Q30 yesterday.

Edited by MTA Orion Bus