BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Are buses that get transferred to a depot of a different company always supposed to get new MTA decals? Or is that something that nobody cares about? I've been seeing a lot of MTA Bus Company buses on routes that usually belong to New York City Bus. I'd also like to know if the Orion V diesels are getting retired soon?

I also saw one of the new C40LFs on the Q30 yesterday.

If buses change between depots the depot sticker gets change. If it moves from NYC bus to MTA Bus then the bus would normal say so on the sides and rear. Yes the Orion V's are on their way out. Casey Stengel, Castelton, Yukon and various other depots are getting new buses to replace the remaining Orion V's. The 1996's are being retired too but since they are holding up well they having been leaving so fast like the Orion's.

You did not see a C40LF on the Q30 because Jamaica depot handles the Q30 which is not a CNG depot. You probably saw a Novabus LFS or even a Orion VII NG.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So 7385 has a different type of "case" for the stop request buttons. Instead of the usual smooth, glossy gray, they have this matte-ish yellow version of it that gets dirty easily from fingerprints. 

Spotted that on some of the FB buses. 7353, 7358 has that version.

Most of the recent delivered buses has that version

Also, sometimes buses that get transferred to a depot of a different company gets new decals or stays the same. Like for example, 9014 went to Jamaica from LGA, it stays as MTA Bus but it's still a NYCT transit route. With new buses being delivered, Orion V's are out first.

Edited by Calvin

Are buses that get transferred to a depot of a different company always supposed to get new MTA decals? Or is that something that nobody cares about? I've been seeing a lot of MTA Bus Company buses on routes that usually belong to New York City Bus. I'd also like to know if the Orion V diesels are getting retired soon?

I also saw one of the new C40LFs on the Q30 yesterday.

The Orion V's are still going. I even caught one on the M100 last week. Get your photos/videos now of those buses while you can.

If buses change between depots the depot sticker gets change. If it moves from NYC bus to MTA Bus then the bus would normal say so on the sides and rear. Yes the Orion V's are on their way out. Casey Stengel, Castelton, Yukon and various other depots are getting new buses to replace the remaining Orion V's. The 1996's are being retired too but since they are holding up well they having been leaving so fast like the Orion's.

You did not see a C40LF on the Q30 because Jamaica depot handles the Q30 which is not a CNG depot. You probably saw a Novabus LFS or even a Orion VII NG.

It was definitely a C40LF as I've seen them before. It was definitely CNG with the tank on top. It had a number in the 500s.

The MTA dispatching SBS routes like traditional bus routes during irregular operations does not work. That's like sending a (6) train on a deadhead from Brooklyn Bridge to Grand Central at 5pm on a weekday.

If an SBS route is high frequency and high usage from top to bottom, sending empty buses to only run from mid-route to the opposite end instead of end-to-end just makes more problems for the customer at the ends of the routes.

Theres no southbound Q47 from Eliot Avenue to LGA, and there's 4 NB buses approaching Marine Air Terminal. Guess I'll walk to Northern Blvd to avoid the extremely large line by the time the bus arrives at Roosevelt Avenue. Ain't that some shit.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Not always true. You still have some buses that go between MTA Bus and NYCT But they don't change those stickers. Theres a couple of 5200s for example that has MTA Bus logos still but its at NYCT (Quill)

Not always true. You still have some buses that go between MTA Bus and NYCT But they don't change those stickers. Theres a couple of 5200s for example that has MTA Bus logos still but its at NYCT (Quill)

To be fair, they're not MTA Bus logos on those 5200s...they just did the lazy shit and rubbed out the "New York City" decals.

Caught 6073 on the Q20. I have not seen one XD40 on the Q20 yet and I know they have ran on it before. I couldn't believe that it is still easy to catch a Orion V on the Q20.

I've been on one once and I usually see one in the morning going the opp direction from me 

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! How could you do this to me?2015-09-24-01-19-08_zpsbz29nhyt.png

Its was bound to happen there always shorties on that route when it sSBS i bet you'll see LFSA and XD40 because they can display blue text 

How is it that the x1, x10, x27, and x28 were allowed to run along 5th av last night (normal routing), but the BM's were still traveling along Lex?

I saw some BM's running via 5 Avenue last night on bustime, around 9/10/11 PM. I feel that it also that NYCT gets "priority" in the sense that those routes get updated reroutes or are assigned back to their regular route.

IDK why the BM5 and QM15 were rerouted to 23 Street for brief periods of the day yesterday and the day before, while the M34/34A were running along it (when the notice said they would go via 23 street), along with the other QM's (there was nothing stating QM15's were running on 23rd either). Good thing the QM24 was already running, which was running on normal route, so I saved myself a possible missed connection. On the X27/37 and X28/38 though, when they were running via Lex, they had written where the buses were stopping. 

Another example is that the Q47's on a long-term detour until fall 2016 in Maspeth, and yet nothing's posted on the MTA website, nor on the timetable about the detour. The bus also makes no stops on the detour path, which is also only posted at the former stops the Q47 stopped at. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven