BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After riding XD40s for quite some time now, I have some things to say:

-The stop request bell on some buses are either really hard to hear, or some don't even play it. I guess that isn't a big problem though.

-The speakers on these buses are quite bad. The Orion VII and Nova LFS speakers play the "Please exit through the rear door" announcement much clearer and smoother than any XD40. I guess that isn't a big problem either.

-Air assist seems to work well and consistent on these buses, unlike the 46xx NGs that came from JA.....

-These buses are REALLY REALLY silent when the A/C is off. I actually kind of like that, because the Nova LFS/A are really loud for new buses IMO.

-The seats get scratched VERY easily. There probably isn't a single bus out there that doesn't have scratches on their seats, it happens especially when people wear jeans (the metal buttons). 

-The stop request bell on some buses are either really hard to hear, or some don't even play it. I guess that isn't a big problem though.

-The speakers on these buses are quite bad. The Orion VII and Nova LFS speakers play the "Please exit through the rear door" announcement much clearer and smoother than any XD40. I guess that isn't a big problem either.

-Air assist seems to work well and consistent on these buses, unlike the 46xx NGs that came from JA.....

-These buses are REALLY REALLY silent when the A/C is off. I actually kind of like that, because the Nova LFS/A are really loud for new buses IMO.

-The seats get scratched VERY easily. There probably isn't a single bus out there that doesn't have scratches on their seats, it happens especially when people wear jeans (the metal buttons).

1. I would have to disagree, the stop request bells have been consistently loud on the ones I've been on.

2. Same with one, especially when the operator makes his announcements.

3. Seats getting scratched is pretty irrelevant in my opinion. A lot of buses below 2015 have scratched seats, but it's not really a big issue unless you're worried about the seat collapsing and you falling into it :P

I personally do not like the new Xcelsiors all that much and prefer the 4800s.

Edited by Cait Sith

1. I would have to disagree, the stop request bells have been consistently loud on the ones I've been on.

2. Same with one, especially when the operator makes his announcements.

3. Seats getting scratched is pretty irrelevant in my opinion. A lot of buses below 2015 have scratched seats, but it's not really a big issue unless you're worried about the seat collapsing and you falling into it :P

I personally do not like the new Xcelsiors all that much and prefer the 4800s.

Not like I'm really really worried about the seats (maybe VG8 would be), but they really look ugly and stand out because on these seats the scratches are white/light blue, they dig into the seat, and stand out. 

About the speakers and the stop request bells, maybe it's just the CS batch that has these problems. When the operator makes his announcements, most of the time they aren't clear on an XD40. And on the CS ones, especially the newer ones with the yellow stop request buttons (why would they change it???), it is either I have really bad hearing or some of them just don't play the stop request bell. It might be just me, but I find the speaker quality (CS fleets for the most part) on the Orions and Novas to be much better than the ones on the XD40. 

Surprisingly, I've yet to ride a 4800. Or a XD60. 

I tend to like the xcelsiors, but I actually agree with him (R188) about the stop request bell.... I tend to find myself & also tend to see others pressing the button/pulling the cord at least two or three times..... Doesn't help that the "stop request" indicator is rather small...

Not like I'm really really worried about the seats (maybe VG8 would be), but they really look ugly and stand out because on these seats the scratches are white/light blue, they dig into the seat, and stand out. 

About the speakers and the stop request bells, maybe it's just the CS batch that has these problems. When the operator makes his announcements, most of the time they aren't clear on an XD40. And on the CS ones, especially the newer ones with the yellow stop request buttons (why would they change it???), it is either I have really bad hearing or some of them just don't play the stop request bell. It might be just me, but I find the speaker quality (CS fleets for the most part) on the Orions and Novas to be much better than the ones on the XD40. 

Surprisingly, I've yet to ride a 4800. Or a XD60. 

Why I would be worried about the seats when I rarely use local buses and usually stand when I do anyway? lol I rode a M101 bus the other day on my way to a meeting to cut down on my taxi fare (even though the company was paying for it, but that meant more money in my pocket for what I didn't use :D) and it was one of the old ones.  The bus was filthy and the seats were so worn out that you couldn't have paid me to sit on it.  I tried in vain to open a window as the bus smelled like @ss quite frankly, but the stupid window wouldn't open.  <_< Nevertheless taking the bus just part of the way meant $15.00 in my pocket so I put up with it and paid $15.00 for a cab instead of $30.00.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

It is annoying how the windows on many New Flyer D60's, RTS and Orion V's don't open at all. I have been able to open the windows on all the low floor buses I tried opening the window on.

Why are the windows on the older buses so hard to open? It makes me think that those windows were sealed. I like catching a older buses whose windows can open.

It is annoying how the windows on many New Flyer D60's, RTS and Orion V's don't open at all. I have been able to open the windows on all the low floor buses I tried opening the window on.

Why are the windows on the older buses so hard to open? It makes me think that those windows were sealed. I like catching a older buses whose windows can open.

Those are the buses where the windows are certain to open! Just gotta use a little elbow grease. Now, the NGs and the other buses where the windows can be locked...those are the problem!

Hmmmm on the seats getting scratched up.  Never really seen that come up, but makes me wonder how all those new DDOT Xcelsiors will be looking.  Wonder if they stand up to a hot crack pipe being dropped on them (yes, pics on news regarding this happening in the middle of the day) lol.  Our new hybrids are getting brushed-steel seats, thought they were just for graffiti (even though not so much of a problem with tons of cameras inside anyways), but may work out better for such abuses.

No joke ... Woman sat in one seat, tried to get window open, no go.  Move to another, same thing.  Guy sees this, comes over and whips out a can of WD-40, sprays around, and window opens.  Few of us watching incredulously.  Guy says he carries it in his bag for his job and it's come in handy on more than one bus he rides.  Maybe something to think about for those stubborn MTA windows.  (Plus it makes a terrific flame-thrower for self-defense, but everyone know that from their teenage years.)

Edited by DetSMART45

Those are the buses where the windows are certain to open! Just gotta use a little elbow grease. Now, the NGs and the other buses where the windows can be locked...those are the problem!

I think the buses from say 1999 - 2002 or so have that issue.  A lot of SI local buses (Orions) were certainly like that and it was brutal because those buses usually had broken AC. Never forget riding an S98 like that home from the ferry...

I think the buses from say 1999 - 2002 or so have that issue. A lot of SI local buses (Orions) were certainly like that and it was brutal because those buses usually had broken AC. Never forget riding an S98 like that home from the ferry...

Yeah it happens on those buses the most. I've hurt my arms trying to open the windows on a stuffy RTS. Last Saturday on a New Flyer D60HF on the Q10 I used both hands and I felt the pain in my arm and it really hurt. It gave me the impression that the windows were sealed from opening on some buses. While it is not true it sure feels like it.

Yeah it happens on those buses the most. I've hurt my arms trying to open the windows on a stuffy RTS. Last Saturday on a New Flyer D60HF on the Q10 I used both hands and I felt the pain in my arm and it really hurt. It gave me the impression that the windows were sealed from opening on some buses. While it is not true it sure feels like it.

Prior to those buses, it was fairly easy to open the windows on the bus, and actually the RTS buses had the windows that had the easiest ones to open, but then they switched whoever the maker was for the mechanism that opens the windows and that's when it became a problem.  Seeing that I ride express buses most of the time, I rarely open windows these days, but the newer buses can be a pain to open also if it's stuffy and there's no air circulation.

I would love to know how the Bx23, a line that only runs 4 buses per hour right now; would have missing buses. Been waiting for one at Pelham Bay since 1:20 and the 1:30 never showed.

Lolwut?

Delays Posted: 10/15/2015 4:17PM

Bx12-SBS eastbound kiosk at Fordham Rd and 3 Av is out of service, due to a Con Edison power issue.

Allow additional travel time.

They moved the stops back to their original stops and they forgot to plug in the coin machine. The Metrocard machines do work though.

Just saw a pic of 7370 on the Q17 and I believe that 7373 was on the Q5 recently. Is Jamaica depot testing the New Flyer XD40s or it was a school tripper?

Every day at about 3:30-3:40 you see a bus signed up as a Q17 turning left onto Union from the Q13-16-28 stops. It's school trippers on the Q17. Sometimes they are an Orion 5, and one day I managed to get a pic of the Q17 school tripper (Orion 5), next to a XD40 Q13. That's a shot that I won't get again. 

Edited by R188 7857