BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw a pic of 7370 on the Q17 and I believe that 7373 was on the Q5 recently. Is Jamaica depot testing the New Flyer XD40s or it was a school tripper?

Every day at about 3:30-3:40 you see a bus signed up as a Q17 turning left onto Union from the Q13-16-28 stops. It's school trippers on the Q17. Sometimes they are an Orion 5, and one day I managed to get a pic of the Q17 school tripper (Orion 5), next to a XD40 Q13. That's a shot that I won't get again. 

Edited by R188 7857

Maybe one broke down? Isn't that the bus line with all of the old buses?

Actually upon further research the way they schedule the route (and the combined schedule in general if you're going from Pelham Bay to any non-Bay Plaza Co-op City destination in general) is horrible. Look at this:

Bx29 to BP: 1:14

Bx23 1-2-3-4-5: 1:15

Q50 1-2-3-4-5: 1:16

Bx23 5-4-3-2-1: 1:18

Then a 26 minute gap until:

Bx29 to BP: 1:44

Bx23 1-2-3-4-5: 1:45

Q50 1-2-3-4-5: 1:46

Bx23 5-4-3-2-1: 1:48

I just assumed there was a 1:30 bus since there was a Guide-a-Ride at the Q50/Bx23 1-5 stop that had buses on the quarter hour, and this is the way they are scheduled during the weekends.

In regards to the old buses, yeah they have RTS buses nowadays, but I saw an Orion V with EC stickers laying over as well.

Edited by paulrivera

Actually upon further research the way they schedule the route (and the combined schedule in general if you're going from Pelham Bay to any non-Bay Plaza Co-op City destination in general) is horrible. Look at this:

Bx23 1-2-3-4-5: 1:15

Q50 1-2-3-4-5: 1:16

Bx23 5-4-3-2-1: 1:18

Then a 26 minute gap until:

I just assumed there was a 1:30 bus since there was a Guide-a-Ride at the Q50/Bx23 1-5 stop that had buses on the quarter hour, and this is the way they are scheduled during the weekends.

In regards to the old buses, yeah they have RTS buses nowadays, but I saw an Orion V with EC stickers laying over as well.

Weird schedule... The only time I see buses set up like that is if two bus loads of people get on.  Is that the case here?

I know the 1-2-3-4-5 loop Bx23 went full and the Bx29 I went on (I needed section 5) went full and both arrived on time. I'm guessing the 5-4-3-2-1 Bx23 went empty since it was late and the 29 took most of its load, while the Q50 (which was also late) probably wasn't too crowded either since the other 23 relieved its load; all it had was probably some riders left over from Queens and the occasional Gun Hill employee.

I'm actually looking at the Bx24 and the Bee-Line schedule as well and it seems those low frequency routes actually connect well with each other:

Bx24 from Country Club: 1:07

Bx29 from BP: 1:10

BL-45 arrival: 1:12

Bx23 to 1-2-3-4-5: 1:15

Q50 to 1-2-3-4-5: 1:16

Bx23 to 5-4-3-2-1: 1:18

Bx24 to Country Club: 1:18

BL-45 departure: 1:20

Bx24 from Country Club: 1:37

Bx29 from BP: 1:40

Bx24 to Country Club: 1:47

Reminds me of the schedules out of the Ferry terminal on SI...

Edited by paulrivera

I've noticed on quite a few artics from CS no longer have rear billboards but now retrofitted with side vents as similar to the septa novas.

Also. I spotted 8111 and 8116 out of East New York with rear ads. Those small ads look real tacky and they need to take a note from Septa.

I saw one ad on 8119 on the B15, and yes, they look horrible. Rather leave that space empty and put it right below that spot.

I saw one ad on 8119 on the B15, and yes, they look horrible. Rather leave that space empty and put it right below that spot.

Right now the ads on those buses look really disgusting and (MTA) needs to take a note from (SEPTA)

What you will see on a septa bus and not on a (MTA) bus is exterior roof ads on the newer novas, and I highly doubt they can fit a full 30x215 ad

Honestly the (MTA) needs to invest on (SEPTA) like ads which could mean a change of advertising firms

I believe Titan Outdoor is the vendor for SEPTA, and CBS outdoor is for the (MTA) - Please someone correct me on this.

While I'm on the subject of ads for a second. This may be a bit complexed but why does Manhattan division get all of the good exterior 30x240 (without covering the battery panel) + roof ads than Brooklyn and Queens Divisions. I believe they are rules when it comes to these forms of practices.

They (CBS Outdoor) don't have an ad that size yet. Pretty sure you'll see one that fits back there eventually

Outfront (CBS Outdoor) is only selling what MTA wants.  Tails are 17.5"h x 50"w, and Tail XLs are 18"h x 68.5"w.  In fact, Tails have the drawing of an RTS with the ad centered and a pic of 6687 as an example (running an M3).  Tail XL is also pictured with an Orion (no number visible).

In the Detroit market (also Outfront), the following:

--Tails: 18"h x 84"w SMART (Gilligs), 21"h x 84"w DDOT (New Flyers);

--Supertails (covers all of engine door only): 35"h x 84"w SMART and Ann Arbor, 35"h x 82"w DDOT;

--Supertail XL (covers engine door and upper panel to vent level): 52"h x 84"w Ann Arbor only;

--Full Backs (entire rear panel): 85"h x 100"w but varies by bus model -- all agencies.

These are from the current production handbooks.  Detroit is "Version 1.0", since I think they recently changed to Outfront within the past couple years, and New York's is "Revised November 2014".  Have to look to see if a new one is up, since "L-sides" were only available on Orions but from some of the pics shared here, they're on MCIs as well, so MTA must have changed some things.

Edited by DetSMART45

Speaking of ads, I don't think 6037 is going to be retired anytime soon.

It seems to me like they recently put a new ad on that bus, and it's no regular ad. It's that ad that covers The WHOLE space from wheel to wheel, and stretches all the way to the very bottom of the bus. Looks horrible. 

It seems to me like they recently put a new ad on that bus, and it's no regular ad. It's that ad that covers The WHOLE space from wheel to wheel, and stretches all the way to the very bottom of the bus. Looks horrible. 

Doesn't necessarily mean it won't get retired anytime soon. They've repainted buses before and retired them shortly after.

Heh please... They can't retire those damn Orions soon enough.  It's definitely nice to see those new buses on the Q32.

It only sucks because those kids will destroy those buses. Should use older buses on those lines....

Not necessarily. Ignorant folks destroy buses. People who just don't care about others things. Not all kids are bad. Adults can destroy stuff too, it is just based on how you were raised up.

I tend to feel that kids between 8-13 are more likely to do crazier than high school and older but it's just based on how a child was raised if they were taught to respect property.

Not necessarily. Ignorant folks destroy buses. People who just don't care about others things. Not all kids are bad. Adults can destroy stuff too, it is just based on how you were raised up.

I tend to feel that kids between 8-13 are more likely to do crazier than high school and older but it's just based on how a child was raised if they were taught to respect property.

Yeah well for what it's worth, when I rode local buses on Staten Island, the school kids would trash those new buses.  Ridiculous... They should put solely old buses on those trippers. Those kids already get free passes for which taxpayers pay for.  Let the taxpayers enjoy the new buses.

Yeah well for what it's worth, when I rode local buses on Staten Island, the school kids would trash those new buses.  Ridiculous... They should put solely old buses on those trippers. Those kids already get free passes for which taxpayers pay for.  Let the taxpayers enjoy the new buses.

Not so fast. Those trippers eventually do other regular trips after the school run. So you will have a plethora of old buses running around just because one part of the run consists of a school tripper. There's a significant portion of runs which have a school tripper on the "open" schedule. This would be worse in SI, since those buses usually just DH to Manhattan after their school trip (in most cases), and then riders get stuck taking those same Orion V's that were used on the school trippers. That would not be a good sight. Furthermore, you increase the chances of them breaking down, and more lost trips, when you have other newer buses there to be used.

Depots will give drivers what's available, not what they prefer to give, so that service runs as efficient as possible. That's how logistics works.   

Not so fast. Those trippers eventually do other regular trips after the school run. So you will have a plethora of old buses running around just because one part of the run consists of a school tripper. There's a significant portion of runs which have a school tripper on the "open" schedule. This would be worse in SI, since those buses usually just DH to Manhattan after their school trip (in most cases), and then riders get stuck taking those same Orion V's that were used on the school trippers. That would not be a good sight. Furthermore, you increase the chances of them breaking down, and more lost trips, when you have other newer buses there to be used.

Depots will give drivers what's available, not what they prefer to give, so that service runs as efficient as possible. That's how logistics works.   

I don't need a whole story about "logistics". I'm well aware of how things work.  Quite frankly the (MTA) shouldn't even be doing trippers. I would have it set up where each school deals with their school buses.  Give them old Orions or what have you.

Yeah well for what it's worth, when I rode local buses on Staten Island, the school kids would trash those new buses. Ridiculous... They should put solely old buses on those trippers. Those kids already get free passes for which taxpayers pay for. Let the taxpayers enjoy the new buses.

Middle schools kids are the worst in my opinion. Many of them are disrespectful and loud and they throw stuff on buses. It is also the parents responsibility to raise their child and teach their kid how to act in public and around authority figures. I never throw trash on buses. I appreciate buses and I literally can be on a train or bus for a half an hour and still hold my garbage until I find a garbage can. It is pathetic how you have people throwing cans on the back of buses. The other day I took the M34SBS and there was this beer can in the back part where the little window is and every time we stopped we would hear the beer can hit the window. It startled us the first few times it happened. Edited by NewFlyer 230

I agree with this, to a degree. There's no reason to put new equipment on tripper routes, and historically the TA did try to keep the old buses on those lines, knowing they would be trashed by the kids. It's not just an SI thing--this has been a major issue for of a lot depots. Ulmer Park has had it particularly bad, I think.