BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I've been seeing lots of repainted LFS on the Bx41 SBS recently. If 5808 got the new SBS coding and signs, what makes the KB units any different from seeing these signs as well? I think every LFS should be equipped with the luminator signs (or whatever sign made the LFSA flash blue) and not just the SBS units. I would say do that to the 2012 XD60s too, but the transition from sign to sign takes a lot longer than most signs found on other buses (5 secs as opposed to 2 secs)

The buses need a Luminator Spectrum front sign in order to display the new flashing SBS codes, then they need to have the program updated. All were all delivered with Luminator Titan signs. The 2012 XD60s already have the capacity to display multiple colors and I'm sure that the transition time can be sped up.

NYCB_NFI_11XD40-Hanover.jpg

NYCB_NFI_4810b.jpg

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a CS unit with the blue on the number on it, when it was on the Q20A though. I believe it was 7367.

Since the new XD40s have the Titans, they can display the newer SBS programs. Seen a 7xxx on the B44 SBS too, so it's possible. It's likely that when the Q44 becomes SBS and a 40-fter needs to be put on that route, they'll put in an XD40, since it can display those SBS codes.

Auto traffic coming out of the Mall at Bay Plaza has been ridiculous on weekends, but Bx5 usage with this new extension has been far from that. I don't know if this extension wasn't marketed, not really demanded or needs time to catch a strong riderbase but I highly doubt the latter is the case given there's tons of people heading in and out especially on Saturdays. It amazes me when you have all kinds of cars coming in and out and Bx12 ridership as strong as it is but these Bx5 buses enter and leave the mall all with plenty of seats available. I have yet to see a Bx5 bus on weekends (post-extension) that wasn't easy pickins for seats either entering or leaving Co-op. One thing the MTA should do is figure out where all these people driving to the Bay Plaza Mall are coming from. When the indoor expansion was added the pitch was that people from Southern Westchester county would be coming in droves but given all the malls that county has to offer I highly doubt folks would drive into the Bronx to shop. I myself am bewildered as to where all the traffic comes from because I'm used to the streets surrounding Bay Plaza being smooth for drivers (and they still are most of the time on weekdays). 

Auto traffic coming out of the Mall at Bay Plaza has been ridiculous on weekends, but Bx5 usage with this new extension has been far from that. I don't know if this extension wasn't marketed, not really demanded or needs time to catch a strong riderbase but I highly doubt the latter is the case given there's tons of people heading in and out especially on Saturdays. It amazes me when you have all kinds of cars coming in and out and Bx12 ridership as strong as it is but these Bx5 buses enter and leave the mall all with plenty of seats available. I have yet to see a Bx5 bus on weekends (post-extension) that wasn't easy pickins for seats either entering or leaving Co-op. One thing the MTA should do is figure out where all these people driving to the Bay Plaza Mall are coming from. When the indoor expansion was added the pitch was that people from Southern Westchester county would be coming in droves but given all the malls that county has to offer I highly doubt folks would drive into the Bronx to shop. I myself am bewildered as to where all the traffic comes from because I'm used to the streets surrounding Bay Plaza being smooth for drivers (and they still are most of the time on weekdays).

I see the Bx5 on Sundays because I use the BxM8 along Bruckner Blvd to and from my tutoring session, and I get the impression that it isn't that well used in part because of the insanely cheap gas prices. Tons of people driving or taking taxis. I don't understand it either because the economy isn't that doing that great, but then again you have tons of grown people living at home so I guess if they don't have to pay rent then they have money for taxis, cars and the like. lol

Just looked at the Bx5 schedule... Pretty stupid to just have it there on weekends, plus the headways in comparison don't make it that attractive. I see it run with the Bx36, which can run rather poorly despite what the schedule says. I just walk from the BxM8, but I don't see that many Bx5s...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

What should be looked into is a part time extension of the Bx5. By part time I mean have all the WPR short turns go to bay plaza and all PBP trips remain unaffected. Well, except for the evening trips. All evening trips after WPR short turns end should go to Bay Plaza.

Still wouldn't be that attractive. From what I see on weekends, the Bx5 could use the riders. I doubt the (MTA) wants the Bx5 stealing too many riders from the Bx12 though.

Since the new XD40s have the Titans, they can display the newer SBS programs. Seen a 7xxx on the B44 SBS too, so it's possible. It's likely that when the Q44 becomes SBS and a 40-fter needs to be put on that route, they'll put in an XD40, since it can display those SBS codes.

They're not Titans, they're Spectrums.

--------------------

I forgot I had this. Another item I can add to my collection. I received this while talking to reps from New Flyer.

lfP5UlI.jpg

PrepD4r.jpg

They rerouted the B39 in Williamsburg. No stops were skipped (obviously lol), but the routing it takes to get in the terminal now added a few minutes to the line.

After coming off the bridge, it usually uses a dedicated entrance from the bridge into the terminal. Now it comes off the bridge, goes down Robeling, makes a left on Division, makes another left on Havemeyer, makes yet another left onto Broadway (at this point, it's facing back to the bridge), then turns right into the terminal.

They removed that dedicated entrance during the WBP reconstruction and this looks permanent.

If it wasn't for the parking spots on Havemeyer, the B39 could 've just layover and pickup outside of the terminal, freeing up its place in the terminal.

Side note: Did they at least add a stop at Roebling St/S 8 St because heaven knows traffic and lights can and will add more than a few minutes to the B39 travel time.

It's being said that 8481 and 8485 are at QV. Awaiting confimation.

They must want the worst of the RTSs gone asap.

Please tell me this is Temporary because aren't those meant to be Jamaica units...

unless the TA change their minds like Teenage girls again.

Edited by B22viaAtlanticAv

If it wasn't for the parking spots on Havemeyer, the B39 could 've just layover and pickup outside of the terminal, freeing up its place in the terminal.

Side note: Did they at least add a stop at Roebling St/S 8 St because heaven knows traffic and lights can and will add more than a few minutes to the B39 travel time.

No stops added or removed

I've heard QV is supposed to have LFS I know it's not confirmed yet but I hope it happens.

supposed to 

What I don't get .. des the number really matter?

as long as they get the buses, its fine. Also if you haven't noticed they are skipping numbers for the LFS order