BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it must end somewhere in the South Bronx... Outside of tutoring I don't travel in the Bronx and have only used a few Bronx local buses...

Yeah lol, it's a bit of a local route from 175th down to 136th in Mott Haven when it runs on Morris (which is somewhat far from any trains or at some points right next to Grand Concourse lol), and runs under the (4) from 176th to Kingsbridge Road, then makes its way to the VA Hospital. 

Yeah lol, it's a bit of a local route from 175th down to 136th in Mott Haven when it runs on Morris (which is somewhat far from any trains or at some points right next to Grand Concourse lol), and runs under the (4) from 176th to Kingsbridge Road, then makes its way to the VA Hospital.

And it needs artics? I'm surprised given the Bx1 and Bx2 along the Concourse and the (4) train. Must go through some hilly topography... Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

And it need artics? I'm surprised given the Bx1 and Bx2 along the Concourse and the (4) train. Must go through some hilly topography...

The Bx32 dosen't usually need artics. In fact, it's the second time this year one has appeared on the route.

The 2000's though, was a slightly different story when KB had the Bx32. Artics ran on the line similar to how the Bx28 sees artics now.

So why are they using them then?

I honestly don't know. A friend suggested that it may be due to the C40 recall, which I don't think is the reason, as there were still some C40s out and none have been taken out of service as far as I know of.

The last time an artic ran on the Bx32 besides today was exactly 2 weeks ago, and before that, I believe it was 3 years ago, in 2012. Yeah, artics on the Bx32 are really uncommon. The one 2 weeks ago ran right behind another bus, and both of them were pretty empty... Today, there were a bit more people, but the bus was still fairly empty. The artics don't really need to run on the Bx32 from what I've seen, but it sure as hell is interesting to see them.

I honestly don't know. A friend suggested that it may be due to the C40 recall, which I don't think is the reason, as there were still some C40s out and none have been taken out of service as far as I know of.

The last time an artic ran on the Bx32 besides today was exactly 2 weeks ago, and before that, I believe it was 3 years ago, in 2012. Yeah, artics on the Bx32 are really uncommon. The one 2 weeks ago ran right behind another bus, and both of them were pretty empty... Today, there were a bit more people, but the bus was still fairly empty. The artics don't really need to run on the Bx32 from what I've seen, but it sure as hell is interesting to see them.

If the Bx32 is out of Kingsbridge, it would be hypocritical to run them on that line, but then flat out refuse to do so on lines that need them like the Bx7 in Riverdale. Local politicians here have been fighting tooth and nail about having more artics outside of the few running during the rush. They don't want to add more shuttle buses from 231st to Riverdale, but don't want more artics either.

If the Bx32 is out of Kingsbridge, it would be hypocritical to run them on that line, but then flat out refuse to do so on lines that need them like the Bx7 in Riverdale. Local politicians here have been fighting tooth and nail about having more artics outside of the few running during the rush. They don't want to add more shuttle buses from 231st to Riverdale, but don't want more artics either.

It's actually out of West Farms lol

Here's one for y'all:

Even though I know there are mysterious disappearing MTA buses and bypassed stops, this just happened to me for the first time I've ever using our local service:

Bus is running 10 minutes down, I'm at SECOND stop after terminal pickup, waiting with another guy.  Bus turns corner, he lets me be first on bus since I've got a transfer and he's going to pay cash fare.  We both step up, bus slows down, operator stops -- doesn't open the door or anything -- and then takes off.  Mind you, there are NO other buses that serve this stop!  We were specifically waiting for this one and only bus.  Both of us couldn't believe it, and I got right on the phone with customer service to report it.  Fully signed up and around 8 others on board.

This route runs on 30-minutes, and when the next bus came, told operator about it, and her response was, "What? For real?" Guy with me verified what happened.  She just shook her head.  After sitting down, customer behind me asked what happened, and described the operator like he was doing a police lineup.  This  miscreant bus operator must have quite a fanclub, and must have pulled other shenanigans when a complete stranger can do that.

Full online complaint was completed.  Wonder if I'll get a whole $2.00 for my "inconvenience".

Why are the only sbs lines using the flashing blue sign are ones I seen are m5 or m15 I forget but why dont they use it on the s79sbs it has the new upgraded front signs?

They probably didn't program them yet to use that new program. The M34/34A and I believe the M60 also does not have that program yet.

They really need to implement paying your fare before boarding on the S79. It's already bad enough that the route doesn't have artics. Going home from 86st, the line is always half a block to a block and a half long, some people get fed up and make a double line. These buses get too full, and in the mornings, I have to let usually 1-2 buses pass before I can squeeze into one. The good news is that people utilize the buses well, moving to the back and filling all the seats, but it sucks when you have to let buses pass. Why doesn't the S79 let you pay before you board?

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

They really need to implement paying your fare before boarding on the S79. It's already bad enough that the route doesn't have artics. Going home from 86st, the line is always half a block to a block and a half long, some people get fed up and make a double line. These buses get too full, and in the mornings, I have to let usually 1-2 buses pass before I can squeeze into one. The good news is that people utilize the buses well, moving to the back and filling all the seats, but it sucks when you have to let buses pass. Why doesn't the S79 let you pay before you board?

If they did that I wonder how many people would by the ticket and take the SIR to shorten their trip 

Because there was opposition from your fellow car driving Staten Islanders who bitched about the stops taking up too many parking spaces... Glad I left when I did... Be glad you even have any form of SBS on the S79 because there was fierce opposition to the entire plan from the start.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Because there was opposition from your fellow car driving Staten Islanders who bitched about the stops taking up too many parking spaces... Glad I left when I did... Be glad you even have any form of SBS on the S79 because there was fierce opposition to the entire plan from the start.

what I don't get ids that it benefited more than just the S79 pretty much any bus that traveled on that corridor as well as Si resident who travel far to reach Brooklyn deadass s79 buses are sometimes faster than the express buses because of how infrequent their stops are 

what I don't get ids that it benefited more than just the S79 pretty much any bus that traveled on that corridor as well as Si resident who travel far to reach Brooklyn deadass s79 buses are sometimes faster than the express buses because of how infrequent their stops are 

The overall population on Staten Island is EXTREMELY car centric.  The express bus is "tolerable" at best because it's generally seen as safe to put the kids on to go to the city, but outside of that most could care less for any type of buses, especially local buses.  They carry the poor around and bring in riff raff and clog up streets that could be used for more parking and cars.  Just telling it the way many Staten Islanders out there feel.  Even car service is looked down on to some extent, but it's better than the local bus.  I always commuted to and from the city and used car service to the express bus on weekends, and drivers were always "shocked" that I didn't drive and couldn't understand how I would take the express bus to and from the city, as if driving is even logical there. lol 

I also know of many who rode the express buses that stated that they wouldn't be caught dead on the subway or any form of public transit (save the express buses).  The express bus was acceptable, but certainly not local buses.  They really embrace the suburban life out there just the way Long Islanders do in terms of them looking down on local buses and preferring the LIRR for trips to the city only, otherwise it's the car.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Earlier on (about 6:30pm), there was a Q17 at the Hillside/188th stop (technically, 87th rd, but fwiw, it's the hillside/188th stop).... But FOUR Q17's back to back to back to back (literally, no other vehicles b/w any of the 4 buses) waiting to make the turn off hillside onto 188th???

I got on the 2nd bus (or, the first bus of the 4 that was waiting to make the turn off Hillside); didn't feel like running up the hill (up 188th) for the bus that was already waiting there.... it eventually pulled off by time I was 1/2-way up the block anyway..... The bus I took was a LTD.... the bus ahead of it was a LTD.... the remaining 3 buses were locals.....

The ride to Flushing wasn't too bad; we really only picked up more than 10 pax @ Union Tpke..... Then again, after the turn onto HHE, I don't remember anything, as I dozed off... Woke up @ Kissena/Main... Lol....

The terminal in Flushing (39th av, off Main) has got to go - there were already 2 buses (a Q17 local, and a bus signed as not in service) along 39th discharging pax.... B/o decided to let us off the bus, even though he didn't even complete the turn (part of the bus was on Main, part of the bus was on 39th).... Yeah, you can say bad judgment on the b/o or whatever, but had he not done that, god knows how long we would have been waiting to finally be able to get off the bus (with all of the physical bus on 39th & no portion of it on Main).....

I read that the Q6 was to be articulated, but the 165 terminal says otherwise. If there was a reroute in Jamaica, would you think the Q6 would see articulateds today?

It the Q6 didn't serve the 165th Bus Term, it could essentially happen...

If it just stopped outside the terminal then yeah.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also on a side note, I've been trying to post videos on the forums from YouTube, but they keep showing up as links. Any way on how to fix that?

Edited by LegoBrickBreaker101

Earlier on (about 6:30pm), there was a Q17 at the Hillside/188th stop (technically, 87th rd, but fwiw, it's the hillside/188th stop).... But FOUR Q17's back to back to back to back (literally, no other vehicles b/w any of the 4 buses) waiting to make the turn off hillside onto 188th???

I got on the 2nd bus (or, the first bus of the 4 that was waiting to make the turn off Hillside); didn't feel like running up the hill (up 188th) for the bus that was already waiting there.... it eventually pulled off by time I was 1/2-way up the block anyway..... The bus I took was a LTD.... the bus ahead of it was a LTD.... the remaining 3 buses were locals.....

The ride to Flushing wasn't too bad; we really only picked up more than 10 pax @ Union Tpke..... Then again, after the turn onto HHE, I don't remember anything, as I dozed off... Woke up @ Kissena/Main... Lol....

The terminal in Flushing (39th av, off Main) has got to go - there were already 2 buses (a Q17 local, and a bus signed as not in service) along 39th discharging pax.... B/o decided to let us off the bus, even though he didn't even complete the turn (part of the bus was on Main, part of the bus was on 39th).... Yeah, you can say bad judgment on the b/o or whatever, but had he not done that, god knows how long we would have been waiting to finally be able to get off the bus (with all of the physical bus on 39th & no portion of it on Main).....

That is how the Q17 runs during some parts of the day. During early rush hour you have lots of buses short turning at 188th and 64th which is not needed because there are crowds of people usually waiting for Jamaica. The Q17 at 9pm runs too much IMO. You can see four buses running back to back while only one Q25 within 15 minutes come. It is very annoying because once those Q17's hit a certain point they are empty anyway. The Q25 stays crowded until around Union Turnpike.

I don't really care for the new terminal for the Q17/Q27. I understand why they did it but it took up a lot of parking spots and I feel like traffic is still bad. They need to change up a few things in Flushing.