BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got flagged today. Either the Q38 runs early or it's 'flagging' full when it doesn't come on time, when it flags. Those buses are fully even if they pass early. Those 12 minute headways are not sufficient enough for service along Eliot Avenue, and this is before 7 AM.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

The Q44 SBS schedule is online. Headways look similar to the current schedule. The main change is the reduced run time (no trips are scheduled over 85 minutes) and the slew of short turns that ran between the Bronx and Flushing during the early evening were taken out in favor of full route buses running at 6 minute headways. 

Don't get it, bus service is terrible. The Q28 long was non-stop long today, the first bus probably wasn't even filled when it left and the line was still the length of two bus stops when it left. The second bus wasn't full either, and it left. I'm standing at the front of the line after two buses just left, and the line is still as long as it was before. By the time my bus comes, it actually gets filled and leaves. Looking back, the length of the line has not changed. No wonder why bus ridership declined for the Q28 recently, IMO the implementation of BusTime f*cked this route over. (Although I'm not completely putting the blame on one thing or just the operators.) 

Edited by R188 7857

I can understand why sometimes a bus leave without being full because there are also other passenger along the route that need to get on but really that should only be done every half hour. My guess is that buses were late/delayed and there was a lack of communication that caused it 

Just saw 8370 on the Bx9 heading to WF at Kingsbridge & Heath

Caught that too.

That is not a route I would want to see a 40 ft bus on. 

Well, 8370 was surrounded by 1 60-footer and a Next Gen running along with it. But I see what you mean, if the artics get really packed at 225th, I don't even wanna think about a 40-footer there lol

One route that has been getting a lot of complaints about overcrowding is the B36. I've heard that hundreds of riders end up walking to the subway after being flagged by buses on this route. Is there anyone that can speak to whether such has been consistent over many years or whether things are getting worse now? Also, what would be wrong with increasing service in light of such events?

One route that has been getting a lot of complaints about overcrowding is the B36. I've heard that hundreds of riders end up walking to the subway after being flagged by buses on this route. Is there anyone that can speak to whether such has been consistent over many years or whether things are getting worse now? Also, what would be wrong with increasing service in light of such events?

The B36 has ALWAYS been bad. I grew up right near the line and it always bunched. After the B4 was cut, it put a burden on the already crowded B36. The B4 has since returned, but I suspect folks are still running to the B36 given the B4's headways, in addition to how poorly the B49 runs. They could run some shuttles to address the problem, but I'm sure that the (MTA) doesn't want to do that.

I remember those days before the (MTA) took over, I was on the crowded Q113 and it was annoying that the bus made stops every block and it usually take like an 1hr and 30mins to get home. I do remember on some RTS buses, when you press the yellow tape to ring the bell, you can still continue to press it. I did remember someone was pressing the bell and the bus driver did not bother to stop. When someone did stop ringing the bell, the bus driver stop at the bus stop and let that person off.