BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

If MTABC express routes were to be renamed following the company merger (or if the merger happened at this very moment), I propose the following renames:

X32 (BM2)

X33 (BM3)

X34 (BM4)

X35 (BM5)

X36 (BM1)

X40 (QM20)

X41 (QM21)

X44 (QM24)

X45 (QM25)

X51 (QM1)

X52 (QM2)

X53 (QM3)

X54 (QM4)

X55 (QM5)

X56 (QM6)

X57 (QM7)

X58 (QM8)

X60 (QM10)

X61 (QM11)

X62 (QM12)

X65 (QM15)

X66 (QM16)

X67 (QM17)

X69 (QM18)

X70 (BXM10)

X71 (BXM1)

X72 (BXM2)

X73 (BXM3)

X74 (BXM4)

X75 (BXM11)

X76 (BXM6)

X77/A (BXM7, BXM8)

X78 (BXM18)

X79 (BXM9)

If you notice, I put in a little pattern for certain routes.The X30 series are former BM routes, the X40s represent the QM2x routes, the X50s and X60s are for the other QMs, and the X70s become spots for the BxM routes. The X80s and X90s would be reserved for special routes. Most routes match up to the last digit of their name when being renumbered, but a few are renumbered differently due to limitations in my renumbering method. Thoughts?

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If MTABC express routes were to be renamed following the company merger (or if the merger happened at this very moment), I propose the following renames:

X32 (BM2)

X33 (BM3)

X34 (BM4)

X35 (BM5)

X36 (BM1)

X40 (QM20)

X41 (QM21)

X44 (QM24)

X45 (QM25)

X51 (QM1)

X52 (QM2)

X53 (QM3)

X54 (QM4)

X55 (QM5)

X56 (QM6)

X57 (QM7)

X58 (QM8)

X60 (QM10)

X61 (QM11)

X62 (QM12)

X65 (QM15)

X66 (QM16)

X67 (QM17)

X69 (QM18)

X70 (BXM10)

X71 (BXM1)

X72 (BXM2)

X73 (BXM3)

X74 (BXM4)

X75 (BXM11)

X76 (BXM6)

X77/A (BXM7, BXM8)

X78 (BXM18)

X79 (BXM9)

If you notice, I put in a little pattern for certain routes.The X30 series are former BM routes, the X40s represent the QM2x routes, the X50s and X60s are for the other QMs, and the X70s become spots for the BxM routes. The X80s and X90s would be reserved for special routes. Most routes match up to the last digit of their name when being renumbered, but a few are renumbered differently due to limitations in my renumbering method. Thoughts?

Don't like it... Totally unnecessary.  We have the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 here in Riverdale and people are used to that.  Keep it the way it is.

Besides, they already changed some of the route names; but kept the prefixes the same for the most part.

-BxM4A/BxM4B was supposed to be BxM4/BxM5 before the Bedford Park bus was eliminated

-BxM7A/BxM7B folded into the BxM8

-BQM1 became the QM5

-QM1A and QM2A were also renamed

BQM1 is the BM5, not the QM5.  The QM5 and QM6 were renamed from the QM1A.

Don't like it... Totally unnecessary. We have the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 here in Riverdale and people are used to that. Keep it the way it is.

But why? What does this accomplish?

Nothing really. Just simplified names for when MTA bus and NYCT become one company. I feel the MTA may renumbered the MTA routes similar to the NYCT ones, but I could see why my plans don't make sense as well.

Nothing really. Just simplified names for when MTA bus and NYCT become one company. I feel the MTA may renumbered the MTA routes similar to the NYCT ones, but I could see why my plans don't make sense as well.

If they were to re number the express routes, they should re name the X route to match MTAB, because the letters specify what borough the bus goes to. Having them all X makes it confusing for passengers and defeats the purpose of having a letter in front of a route all together.

It would be much easier to relabel the current NYCT expresses in Brooklyn and Queens to BM and QM, and leave the SI expresses with X. However, no one gets confused with the current setup, so it's alright.

M60 Bus Lane Ticket Enforcement Begins Next Week

Starting Monday, motorists who drive or stand in the bus lane along 125th Street in Manhattan during designated hours will be issued $115 fines.The Department of Transportation has been handing out warnings for more than 60 days. But beginning next week, the law will be strictly enforced with the help of cameras. The corridors are used by the M60 Select Service Bus, which carries riders from LaGuardia Airport to Morningside Heights. Transportation officials say 125th Street is one of upper Manhattan’s busiest commercial corridors, with over 30,000 weekday bus riders.

Source: http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2016/01/29/m60-bus-lane-camera-enforcement-begins-next-week.html

It would be much easier to relabel the current NYCT expresses in Brooklyn and Queens to BM and QM, and leave the SI expresses with X. However, no one gets confused with the current setup, so it's alright.

If I ever needed to ride an NYCT express bus to Queens or Brooklyn I'd be very much confused actually, but then again I don't ride the express buses.

I do agree that the SI expresses should remain X because SM would sound weird.

Complaining about crappy service again... What a surprise...

That is not really complaining yeah I was upset but I never said oh how the Q43 is always late and the bus driver are nasty and etc. You complain about everyone and everything that isn't perfect in your eyes. You talk about ghetto folks, you talk about how poor areas are even though it isn't as bad as you say it is. I bet if you was to go to Jamaica Ave and Sutphin Blvd in Queens you would probably assume everyone is poor and are criminals just because they may not live and do the same things you do. You exaggerate about College Points maintance on the MCI's, and how dirty the subway. Like come on if the subway was the way you explained it everyone would be sick when they ride the subway. You complain about everything man and I know you are going to be in straight denial but hey people don't like to hear the truth and you are certainly one of them.

Got on an M60 +SBS+ tonight was signed up [Next Bus Please]...  Absolutely pointless for them to do that.

Of course I got on anyway.....  ^_^

If nobody wants to get off at a stop, it would allow them to bypass the people waiting.

If I ever needed to ride an NYCT express bus to Queens or Brooklyn I'd be very much confused actually, but then again I don't ride the express buses.

I do agree that the SI expresses should remain X because SM would sound weird.

For a few routes, it's not that bad. You just look for the destination sign and that's it.

That is not really complaining yeah I was upset but I never said oh how the Q43 is always late and the bus driver are nasty and etc. You complain about everyone and everything that isn't perfect in your eyes. You talk about ghetto folks, you talk about how poor areas are even though it isn't as bad as you say it is. I bet if you was to go to Jamaica Ave and Sutphin Blvd in Queens you would probably assume everyone is poor and are criminals just because they may not live and do the same things you do. You exaggerate about College Points maintance on the MCI's, and how dirty the subway. Like come on if the subway was the way you explained it everyone would be sick when they ride the subway. You complain about everything man and I know you are going to be in straight denial but hey people don't like to hear the truth and you are certainly one of them.

LOL  Just because people aren't sick doesn't mean that the subways aren't filthy.  That's a good one though.  I was tutoring a kid today that lamented about how every time he rides the subway now, he gets hit up by bums asking him for money.  The fact that more homeless people are riding the subways surely means that they are dirtier.

LOL  Just because people aren't sick doesn't mean that the subways aren't filthy.  That's a good one though.  I was tutoring a kid today that lamented about how every time he rides the subway now, he gets hit up by bums asking him for money.  The fact that more homeless people are riding the subways surely means that they are dirtier.

I mean some of the buses especially at CP are just as filthy as the subway if not (more mostly because I ride the (7) and always take the single R188 car in every train)

Edited by IAlam

I mean some of the buses especially at CP are just as filthy as the subway if not (more mostly because I ride the (7) and always take the single R188 car in every train)

lol... CP is a joke anyway.  Seats are always clean, but the floors... Mamma mia... I never put shopping bags on the floor on their buses... Always on the seats.

All these bums showing up is a by-product of all this damn gentrification that's been going on in this city. The Subways are dirtier because the MTA doesn't want to spent anymore money that they absolutely have to, and because, well....

New Yorkers on average are f****ng nasty.

All these bums showing up is a by-product of all this damn gentrification that's been going on in this city. The Subways are dirtier because the MTA doesn't want to spent anymore money that they absolutely have to, and because, well....

LMAO... At least someone is in touch with reality.

can't deny that

This includes express buses, it's just not as bad.

lol... CP is a joke anyway.  Seats are always clean, but the floors... Mamma mia... I never put shopping bags on the floor on their buses... Always on the seats.

You can thank the fellow passengers for the dirty interiors. Most buses from CP don't pull out from the depot in a pigsty.

Edited by Cait Sith

You can thank the fellow passengers for the dirty interiors. Most buses from CP don't pull out from the depot in a pigsty.

I haven't seen entire filthy buses, as the seats are clean.  The only thing that isn't clean on many of them are the floors.  In other words, I was talking about general use.  If the floor never sees a broom or a mop, then naturally they'll be dirty no matter how clean the passengers are.