BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it was in the fall and you pretty much have the reason 

The X10 is still a busy route.  It's still in the top five of the express bus routes overall.  That ridership that it lost went mainly to the X17, which is only natural.  Someone on Richmond Avenue is obviously going to take the X17 over the X10 since it's a much quicker ride.

Pretty much what he said. The x10 still gets very busy after the 7pm hour and it's still way faster than the x1. There have been times where passengers were picked up at the service road, and other times we just blazed through it. It's hit or miss, but it's still busy.

Pretty much what he said. The x10 still gets very busy after the 7pm hour and it's still way faster than the x1. There have been times where passengers were picked up at the service road, and other times we just blazed through it. It's hit or miss, but it's still busy.

In fact that last bus to the city during the weeknights can be really crowded.  Sometimes I have to go Staten Island to get these really hard to find halogen bulbs for my floor lamp, and a few times I've used that last X10 and was like whoa... Usage is particularly heavy along Richmond and Victory, but after that, you still get a constant flow of people.  It's evident that more people don't want to deal with the bus to the ferry to the subway set up, as many of them get off by the (A) train to continue their commute.  

Since I notice how people normally don't take time lapses for buses I gave it a shot. Now I know why ... I had 2 instances in Manhattan where my camera mount fell and another where I ran out of memory.

At least I had a friendly B/O who was nice enough to let me film. I'm definitely going to try this again to get a complete version. Especially because I have an idea to show people the different sides of the city with this time lapse. As well as some music that goes along with it that I didn't get to add unfortunately. 

Honestly I know I'm gonna get hate but the X10 really doesn't cut it for me I many have only been on it once but a late bus only picked up a total of 5 passengers 3 of which came from an over crowded X1. I honestly don't understand why there's more service on that line than the X17 which was packed at around the same time. TBH I feel there should either be a cut or the bsu should be replaced with the X12  

Something must've been off on that day. I live in the area and worked along South Gannon and watched the X10 go by. (Sometimes I've even used it if I had to go somewhere directly after work). I've never seen a bus with only 5 people heading inbound during the PM rush.

When was this?  The X10 used to have A LOT more ridership.  The increase in and elongation of the X17 is why it has lost some ridership.  That and the X1...

The elongation of the X17 has nothing to do with it. Riders in Tottenville & Rossville are barely using the X17 as-is, let alone using it as an alternative to the X10.

Now the increase in service (improved frequency and longer span) of course has caused riders to shift from the X10 to the X17. But the X10 is still a busy line, and a lot of those X17 riders are brand-new riders attracted to the system, which of course is a good thing.

The elongation of the X17 has nothing to do with it. Riders in Tottenville & Rossville are barely using the X17 as-is, let alone using it as an alternative to the X10.

Now the increase in service (improved frequency and longer span) of course has caused riders to shift from the X10 to the X17. But the X10 is still a busy line, and a lot of those X17 riders are brand-new riders attracted to the system, which of course is a good thing.

I wasn't talking about the elongation of the route, but rather the elongation of the span of service.  I also already talked about the X10 still being a busy route above, so you're repeating what I already said. 

Is it mandatory for S53/79/93 B/Os to take the lower level on the Verrazano Bridge? They know every morning the lower level ramp is packed but they manage to stay on it. Only once and a while do I have a B/O that takes the upper level and beat the traffic.

I don't see why it would be mandatory, but at the same time I don't think there's much care since it's a local bus.  Plenty of the express buses take the upper level or lower level going to Manhattan.  If you want faster service and want to b*tch and yell, gotta take the express bus. lol

I don't see why it would be mandatory, but at the same time I don't think there's much care since it's a local bus. Plenty of the express buses take the upper level or lower level going to Manhattan. If you want faster service and want to b*tch and yell, gotta take the express bus. lol

Well I'm only going to Brooklyn, so idk what ya b**** ass talking about.

I don't see why it would be mandatory, but at the same time I don't think there's much care since it's a local bus.  Plenty of the express buses take the upper level or lower level going to Manhattan.  If you want faster service and want to b*tch and yell, gotta take the express bus. lol

That's irrelevant to what he's talking about....

Well I'm only going to Brooklyn, so idk what ya b**** ass talking about.

No one does really, considering that all he really talks about are express buses...

----------------

I don't think it's a mandatory option, since when the lower level screws up, operators tend to take the upper level at times. I think it's more of a matter of convenience and them being told what to do.

Edited by Cait Sith

That's irrelevant to what he's talking about....

No one does really, considering that all he really talks about are express buses...

-----------------

I think it has to do with the fact that the lower level provides a better exit to 92nd Street.

The question was whether it's mandatory... It isn't to my knowledge, regardless of it being a local or express bus.  Either way, I'm not sure if it would speed up the commute.  The local drivers could care less anyway.

The question was whether it's mandatory... It isn't to my knowledge, regardless of it being a local or express bus.  Either way, I'm not sure if it would speed up the commute.  The local drivers could care less anyway.

For the S53/79/93, not the Express Buses.....which you love to bring up for no reason. The express buses are not(obviously). But the S53/79/93, I think it's more of how operators are trained on it, since there's a lot of new operators on the island. Every now and then, one would show up on the upper level.

Edited by Cait Sith

For the S53/79/93, not the Express Buses.....which you love to bring up for no reason. The express buses are not. But the S53/79/93, I think it's more of how operators are trained on it, since there's a lot of new operators on the island. Every now and then, one would show up on the upper level.

I brought it up because I was under the impression that he was traveling to Manhattan, not Brooklyn, and while we're on the topic, the express buses ARE used to travel from Staten Island to Brooklyn (on weekends anyway), which is a much faster commute depending on your location, so it's certainly relevant.

I brought it up because I was under the impression that he was traveling to Manhattan, not Brooklyn, and while we're on the topic, the express buses ARE used to travel from Staten Island to Brooklyn (on weekends anyway), which is a much faster commute depending on your location, so it's certainly relevant.

Except he wasn't talking about them, and he never said anything about going to Manhattan. Point blank. You always read too far into things.

Edited by Cait Sith

Except he wasn't talking about them. Point blank.

Well answer this then... Would his commute be any faster if they didn't use the lower deck?  He asked specifically because he clearly wants a faster commute.  I personally don't see how it would make a difference.  Besides those local buses struggle to get over the bridge as it is.  lol

Well answer this then... Would his commute be any faster if they didn't use the lower deck?  He asked specifically because he clearly wants a faster commute.  I personally don't see how it would make a difference.  Besides those local buses struggle to get over the bridge as it is.  lol

Realistically, there is very little difference. As for the buses struggling to get over the bridge, the only ones that really do are the hybrids on the S79.