BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Question: Are buses assigned daily or do operators pick their own buses to take out?  Friday, I got on with a B/O I semi-regularly ride with, and noted she had a 35-footer instead of a 29, and she said she didn't get a chance to pick a 29, that they were all gone.  Then said the mid-shifters usually get assigned, but the AM and PM main shifts get to pick.  Note though, that some of the smaller routes use either 29s or 35s, and only see 40s rarely.

I realize that artics are specifically assigned to certain routes, but I'm kinda under the impression that the MTA would rotate buses between routes for mileage purposes (and thought SMART did it as well, obviously not).

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: Are buses assigned daily or do operators pick their own buses to take out? Friday, I got on with a B/O I semi-regularly ride with, and noted she had a 35-footer instead of a 29, and she said she didn't get a chance to pick a 29, that they were all gone. Then said the mid-shifters usually get assigned, but the AM and PM main shifts get to pick. Note though, that some of the smaller routes use either 29s or 35s, and only see 40s rarely.

I realize that artics are specifically assigned to certain routes, but I'm kinda under the impression that the MTA would rotate buses between routes for mileage purposes (and thought SMART did it as well, obviously not).

Nope, you get whatever's available.

Random thought:

Having been in Seattle the past eight months I see now why the New Flyer LFR platform failed the MTA's shaker test and they went with LFs for the CNG order few years ago. King County Metro's LFR artics are hot garbage and the older LF artics they have are in better shape. The LFRs are rattly as all f**k and could not be of worse build quality. Complete piss they are. Visiting NYC this week I am reminded of the vastly superior build quality on the Nova artics; night and day.

Edited by Culver

Random thought:

Having been in Seattle the past eight months I see now why the New Flyer LFR platform failed the MTA's shaker test and they went with LFs for the CNG order few years ago. King County Metro's LFR artics are hot garbage and the older LF artics they have are in better shape. The LFRs are rattly as all f**k and could not be of worse build quality. Complete piss they are. Visiting NYC this week I am reminded of the vastly superior build quality on the Nova artics; night and day.

I agree and disagree.

I agree that they are a bunch of rattly buses, but not all of them are hot garbage. The Atlantic & South Base buses are kinda....shitty, but the Bellevue Base takes good care of those buses. The RapidRide buses are the WORST! The ones that operate on the B are okay at best, but the C, D and E units....are extremely hit or miss. The South Base units (A and F) are just done, those are the worst out of the bunch. It just makes me glad that Bellevue Base got the XDE40s, I think the XDE35s are split between Bellevue and South Base.

The LF units were so much better in terms of ride quality. Riding the 5, 550 and 212 was such a breeze with those particular units.

During my 3 months time in Seattle last summer, I was able to check out the entire fleet. I've been extremely impressed with how they spec their buses, as their fleet(with a few exceptions) are no joke. Their XDE35s and XDE40s are pretty amazing buses, and their new XDE60s they are receiving will be just as good, if not better. I'm not that big of an Xcelsior fan by any means, but their fleet is by far my favorite.

Edited by Cait Sith

I agree and disagree.

I agree that they are a bunch of rattly buses, but not all of them are hot garbage. The Atlantic & South Base buses are kinda....shitty, but the Bellevue Base takes good care of those buses. The RapidRide buses are the WORST! The ones that operate on the B are okay at best, but the C, D and E units....are extremely hit or miss. The South Base units (A and F) are just done, those are the worst out of the bunch. It just makes me glad that Bellevue Base got the XDE40s, I think the XDE35s are split between Bellevue and South Base.

The LF units were so much better in terms of ride quality. Riding the 5, 550 and 212 was such a breeze with those particular units.

During my 3 months time in Seattle last summer, I was able to check out the entire fleet. I've been extremely impressed with how they spec their buses, as their fleet(with a few exceptions) are no joke. Their XDE35s and XDE40s are pretty amazing buses, and their new XDE60s they are receiving will be just as good, if not better. I'm not that big of an Xcelsior fan by any means, but their fleet is by far my favorite.

Yeah, Metro does go all out for hybrids and electric powertrains, which I do appreciate. But like you said, their RapidRide coaches are in bad shape (and the 2013 ones are the worst ones!). They get used the most and show just how badly built those LFRs are. They otherwise use the standard branded LFRs as little as possible, which says it all, really. The Bellevue LFRs spend a lot of their time in the lots waiting for peak service runs, so they can avoid heavy usage that way. I'm hoping those new XDE60s do better, since I am a fan of that BAE E-Series propulsion system. I did notice more swaying on the XDE60 than the DE60LFR, which is annoying.

Since I don't want to hijack this, I'll bring this back to NYC: The MTA shaker test really is a good thing, and I credit them for doing that third-party shaker test. Sure as hell saved the MTA for the LFRs. Now I wonder who the 75-bus hybrid test order will go to, since NFI and Nova both offer the BAE E-series these days. By the time that order goes out, both manufacturers may be prepping new platforms.

Why the QM20 is running today, if everything's on a Saturday schedule? I thought I was seeing things when I was on the bus heading home along 6th Avenue. I look at bustime and there's icons along the QM20 route. It's not even running on the weekday schedule, it's leaving at :40 from 36 Street, and :20 from Bay Terrace.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Why the QM20 is running today, if everything's on a Saturday schedule? I thought I was seeing things when I was on the bus heading home along 6th Avenue. I look at bustime and there's icons along the QM20 route. It's not even running on the weekday schedule, it's leaving at :40 from 36 Street, and :20 from Bay Terrace.

O_o yeah it is runing wtf 

It's a modified schedule likely.  The BxM18 is not running today, but in Queens there may be a different set up so as to avoid overcrowding.  

It's a modified schedule likely.  The BxM18 is not running today, but in Queens there may be a different set up so as to avoid overcrowding.  

I wonder what type of modified schedule that is if nobody knows about it. The QM2's as it is on an hourly schedule are fine anyways (they're not overcrowded nor anything). There might be a bus with more than 50% if seats taken, but not overcrowded. I believe it started in the PM, because there wasn't anything in the morning IIRC. I saw the bus on 34 Street while waiting for the bus to go home, and then I see one at 42 Street while I'm on the bus going to Bay Terrace. 

I wonder what type of modified schedule that is if nobody knows about it. The QM2's as it is on an hourly schedule are fine anyways (they're not overcrowded nor anything). There might be a bus with more than 50% if seats taken, but not overcrowded. I believe it started in the PM, because there wasn't anything in the morning IIRC. I saw the bus on 34 Street while waiting for the bus to go home, and then I see one at 42 Street while I'm on the bus going to Bay Terrace. 

It's not a tun of service anyway, but it may be to provide QM2 riders the opportunity to skip the Saturday route and get to Bay Terrace quicker.  The folks that go via Clearview to Bay Terrace can use the QM20.  

Here is your answer:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/PresidentsDay2014.htm

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/servChanges_QM20.htm

Having the QM20 provides 30 minute headways to folks in Bay Terrace.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

It's not a tun of service anyway, but it may be to provide QM2 riders the opportunity to skip the Saturday route and get to Bay Terrace quicker.  The folks that go via Clearview to Bay Terrace can use the QM20.  

Here is your answer:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/PresidentsDay2014.htm

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/servChanges_QM20.htm

Having the QM20 provides 30 minute headways to folks in Bay Terrace.

The QM2 is still serving Mitchell Gardens on all trips. But whatever, I guess.

Think it was on this thread, where someone asked about Xcelsior ride quality, and I agreed it was not that good compared to older NF.  Turns out, was on another 2 "X" buses and they were super smooth.  Went on the same section of route with lots of holes, one eastbound/one westbound (separate buses and operators) and they were really smooth, no jumps or noisy rattles.  And those heaters, we were in a sweatbox (even though it was ~20F, other buses were coughing to keep it warm).

Was, however, on an older NF and engine was underpowered.  After every stoplight, 3 second minimum where you could tell operator had her foot down, and it was like the bus was saying, "Oh, you want to get going?  Just a minute ... here we go" then the power came on.  Minor irritation, but since traffic was light (early AM and a holiday) could accept it.  (Thought it was the operator just being gentle with the throttle, but noticed her foot and it was flat.)  Route was a straight-line, and just last couple minor turns at the end, but she wasn't hot-dogging it at all around them, so could tell it was the bus and not her.

Moral of the story:  Brought back my love for New Flyers.  Tough, bad-ass machinery.  Too used to settling for Gilligs, and now being reminded of their (many) failings.

Edited by DetSMART45

They're just training operators at BP, never hit service.

So the assignments are staying the same at the moment correct? So that would mean the Q6, Q10, Q52/Q53, Q111/Q113 and Q114 will be converted first.

I remember on one of these threads ENY was talking about how the MTA was also going to put artics on other routes like the Q8, Q25, Q64 and Q65 so I guess this order has an option available to it.