BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

So the assignments are staying the same at the moment correct? So that would mean the Q6, Q10, Q52/Q53, Q111/Q113 and Q114 will be converted first.

I remember on one of these threads ENY was talking about how the MTA was also going to put artics on other routes like the Q8, Q25, Q64 and Q65 so I guess this order has an option available to it.

Q6 is still up in the air along with the Q8.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I guess Kingsbridge got more of those new buses?  I've seen a ton of them in Riverdale this week... Certainly nice to see for the folks that use the local buses.  They deserve them.  

By what do you mean "deserve"?

"Deserve" has nothing to do with it, the lines gets what it gets.

By what do you mean "deserve"?

"Deserve" has nothing to do with it, the lines gets what it gets.

For $2.75, ALL passengers should expect a certain level of comfort. Those old Orion buses had horrible climate control.  The seats were usually worn out and the buses were filthy, so no, the lines shouldn't "get what it gets".  Taxpayers dollars pay for these buses and services, and thus they should expect a quality ride.  Yes, it's public transit, but with your attitude, people would ditch the buses and take their cars.

For $2.75, ALL passengers should expect a certain level of comfort. Those old Orion buses had horrible climate control.  The seats were usually worn out and the buses were filthy, so no, the lines shouldn't "get what it gets".  Taxpayers dollars pay for these buses and services, and thus they should expect a quality ride.  Yes, it's public transit, but with your attitude, people would ditch the buses and take their cars.

Expect, perhaps. Deserve?....  :rolleyes:

Expect, perhaps. Deserve?....  :rolleyes:

Yes, deserve.  They've rode those crappy buses for years that leak when it rains, etc., so yes they deserve to have a pleasant ride, especially since their tax dollars are going towards transit improvements.  You can roll your eyes all you want, but taxpayers should expect  (and deserve) to see the fruits of their hard earned money going back to improving their commutes.  If their money wasn't going back into these buses it would be a different story, but that isn't the case.

So the assignments are staying the same at the moment correct? So that would mean the Q6, Q10, Q52/Q53, Q111/Q113 and Q114 will be converted first.

I remember on one of these threads ENY was talking about how the MTA was also going to put artics on other routes like the Q8, Q25, Q64 and Q65 so I guess this order has an option available to it.

Can't wait till the Q111,Q113 and Q114 get artics the hybrids make those lines so bland.

Yes, deserve. They've rode those crappy buses for years that leak when it rains, etc., so yes they deserve to have a pleasant ride, especially since their tax dollars are going towards transit improvements. You can roll your eyes all you want, but taxpayers should expect (and deserve) to see the fruits of their hard earned money going back to improving their commutes. If their money wasn't going back into these buses it would be a different story, but that isn't the case.

You make is sound like all Kingsbridge had was the Rusty Vs, when there was a sightly better chance you would get a newer VII NG.

You make is sound like all Kingsbridge had was the Rusty Vs, when there was a sightly better chance you would get a newer VII NG.

Yep, I remember the days when KB 40FT Fleet was 100% Orion V's and those three digit Orions were horrible and the 6000s was the "nice" buses.

KB 40FT routes had it pretty good ever since they got the NGs. 

In Riverdale, particularly on the Bx20, your chances of getting a rusty Vs was pretty high.  I suspect that was also one reason the line has suffered from reliability issues despite it only running from Riverdale to Inwood, so on some lines they certainly did use those old buses more.  The M100 was another line that got all of the old buses.  The Bx10 would get them mainly on weekends with a few throw in here and there.  The Bx7 as well, but less so.

Given how many people in Riverdale complain about the reliability of local bus service on Bx7, Bx10 and Bx20, I'm sure that the new fleet will help keep buses on time more.  We're also happy to see them because they are more environmentally friendly.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

In Riverdale, particularly on the Bx20, your chances of getting a rusty Vs was pretty high. I suspect that was also one reason the line has suffered from reliability issues despite it only running from Riverdale to Inwood, so on some lines they certainly did use those old buses more. The M100 was another line that got all of the old buses. The Bx10 would get them mainly on weekends with a few throw in here and there. The Bx7 as well, but less so.

Given how many people in Riverdale complain about the reliability of local bus service on Bx7, Bx10 and Bx20, I'm sure that the new fleet will help keep buses on time more. We're also happy to see them because they are more environmentally friendly.

New buses can break down as much as old buses do. And why does it seem like the world revolves around Riverdale? Casey Stengel had those same old Orion V's on its routes and reliable didn't suffer because they had them. ECH had them for a while too. ECH just happened to not like them but the routes were pretty reliable.

I will expect to hear the same thing when the Orion VII's at KB are about 12 years old and you barely use the local/limited bus.

It's nice to see that some of the busier Bx12 SBS stops have three Metrocard machines instead of two. 

A couple of stops have four Metrocard machines actually.

New buses can break down as much as old buses do. And why does it seem like the world revolves around Riverdale? Casey Stengel had those same old Orion V's on its routes and reliable didn't suffer because they had them. ECH had them for a while too. ECH just happened to not like them but the routes were pretty reliable.
I will expect to hear the same thing when the Orion VII's at KB are about 12 years old and you barely use the local/limited bus.

Yeah... speaking of the Orion V's and ECH... Saw one on the Q50 today. Just when you think ECH got rid of them all...

Sure they can, but buses are being built better overall thus reliability is improving.  ECH only has two local routes, and one that's very short, so I wouldn't expect reliability to be an issue.  The world revolves around whatever depot is getting new buses, and at the moment it's Kingsbridge, hence why the areas that it serves (mainly Riverdale) are being discussed.

It's ironic that you of all people claim that things aren't so bad with local buses, yet you're the first one to complain about long waits.  Talk about being full of it. LOL

Sure they can, but buses are being built better overall thus reliability is improving.  ECH only has two local routes, and one that's very short, so I wouldn't expect reliability to be an issue.  The world revolves around whatever depot is getting new buses, and at the moment it's Kingsbridge, hence why the areas that it serves (mainly Riverdale) are being discussed.

It's ironic that you of all people claim that things aren't so bad with local buses, yet you're the first one to complain about long waits.  Talk about being full of it. LOL

I don't know if it can be said that buses are being built better and that's leading to better reliability.  Xcelsiors, I have mixed feelings about.  My first rides were notably worse than the old workhorses those buses replaced.  A couple more recent ones were better, and I'd still like to catch a couple artics to see how they cope with our crappola roads -- but by the one I saw traveling the other way was not doing well, and I'm sure the passengers were not the most comfortable from the obvious jump-and-flex on a particularly rough bit.

Even though we've been getting newer Gilligs, they're getting much too many rattles and emphasizing road imperfections for being out and about only for under a year.  Plus those hybrids are horrible for acceleration.  But they'd hit on a lot of what some here like: new seats, new looking, and the only thing missing is the "new car smell."  I've gotten better rides on old New Flyer D40s from DDOT than the 2015 hybrids, including being quieter overall -- and those have not seen the best maintenance over the years, plus more hours of service.  Even a 4-year old DDOT Gillig hybrid was better than our 2015s.

Reliability is always a function of proper maintenance.  Gillig is still using the same low-floor since it phased out their previous workhorse, the Phantom, and I'm not seeing much different from the 2002-3 pure diesels and the 2011/2015 hybrids.  (Plus have noticed plenty of the 2015s on breakdowns as well -- which should not be happening.)

I don't know if it can be said that buses are being built better and that's leading to better reliability.  Xcelsiors, I have mixed feelings about.  My first rides were notably worse than the old workhorses those buses replaced.  A couple more recent ones were better, and I'd still like to catch a couple artics to see how they cope with our crappola roads -- but by the one I saw traveling the other way was not doing well, and I'm sure the passengers were not the most comfortable from the obvious jump-and-flex on a particularly rough bit.

Even though we've been getting newer Gilligs, they're getting much too many rattles and emphasizing road imperfections for being out and about only for under a year.  Plus those hybrids are horrible for acceleration.  But they'd hit on a lot of what some here like: new seats, new looking, and the only thing missing is the "new car smell."  I've gotten better rides on old New Flyer D40s from DDOT than the 2015 hybrids, including being quieter overall -- and those have not seen the best maintenance over the years, plus more hours of service.  Even a 4-year old DDOT Gillig hybrid was better than our 2015s.

Reliability is always a function of proper maintenance.  Gillig is still using the same low-floor since it phased out their previous workhorse, the Phantom, and I'm not seeing much different from the 2002-3 pure diesels and the 2011/2015 hybrids.  (Plus have noticed plenty of the 2015s on breakdowns as well -- which should not be happening.)

I didn't say all buses were being built well... I said overall... 

Actually, buses of the past and of today can be built well, or built poorly. It has nothing to do with the time period they are from.

A GM New Look? Very well built. A Grumman Flxible? Not so much. The idea that the time period has anything to do with how well built a bus is is an illusion. There were just as many quality and shitty transit vehicles in the past as there are now.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

I didn't say all buses were being built well... I said overall... 

Yeah, I get that.  But the only ones I could *possibly* see being as good as the predecessor is the Nova LFS/A models.  The others, I don't think will see anything close to old New Flyer Ds, Neoplans, or Orion Vs in terms of years of service.

Build quality plays a role in that, and even with the MTA "standards", I don't think it's completely there yet.

Yeah, I get that.  But the only ones I could *possibly* see being as good as the predecessor is the Nova LFS/A models.  The others, I don't think will see anything close to old New Flyer Ds, Neoplans, or Orion Vs in terms of years of service.

Build quality plays a role in that, and even with the MTA "standards", I don't think it's completely there yet.

Agreed, but this may mean that buses are replaced sooner, which isn't always a bad thing.  

Sure they can, but buses are being built better overall thus reliability is improving. ECH only has two local routes, and one that's very short, so I wouldn't expect reliability to be an issue. The world revolves around whatever depot is getting new buses, and at the moment it's Kingsbridge, hence why the areas that it serves (mainly Riverdale) are being discussed.

It's ironic that you of all people claim that things aren't so bad with local buses, yet you're the first one to complain about long waits. Talk about being full of it. LOL

Well the buses themselves are not what is causing the reliability issue. I feel it is a combination between the traffic and drivers who don't follow the schedule. It really is annoying how a bus is suppose to run every 20 minutes at a specific time and the bus that was suppose to come shows up late with the second driver that is running on time. So your running a empty bus and a packed bus together and it's just a waste of resources and then when the MTA claims that people are not using the service you wonder why.

And don't you complain about everything yourself. You've complained about the (6), late drivers, garbage, homeless people, "ghetto folks", kid and etc so in that case you are really no better than. me.

Well the buses themselves are not what is causing the reliability issue. I feel it is a combination between the traffic and drivers who don't follow the schedule. It really is annoying how a bus is suppose to run every 20 minutes at a specific time and the bus that was suppose to come shows up late with the second driver that is running on time. So your running a empty bus and a packed bus together and it's just a waste of resources and then when the MTA claims that people are not using the service you wonder why.

And don't you complain about everything yourself. You've complained about the (6), late drivers, garbage, homeless people, "ghetto folks", kid and etc so in that case you are really no better than. me.

lol... The buses themselves shouldn't be an issue, as you should have relatively new buses on the lines that you use.  As for you, you complain about me complaining about other riders complaining, so there.  :D