BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10th Avenue eastbound and White Plains Road westbound have four Metrocard machines, not counting the coin collector.

Those stops definitely needed extra machines so that's great. I saw three not counting the coin machine at Valentine heading east a couple of weeks ago.

We've gotten to such a sad state in the bus system that I'm actually going to commend the MTA for running buses on schedule. I was over in Co-op just before typing this and Bx12 SBS buses were running like clockwork along Bartow Ave. Buses were coming 5 minutes after each other as the schedule says they should and compared to what riders have come to expect from the MTA it was a thing of beauty.

A GM New Look? Very well built. A Grumman Flxible? Not so much. The idea that the time period has anything to do with how well built a bus is is an illusion. There were just as many quality and shitty transit vehicles in the past as there are now.

Don't forget to mention the Orion VI's.

7370 has some interesting background when used on the Q44. It has a purple background, then a red background whenever the signage transitions in the Select Bus part. Shit is bothering me a lot.

I saw that like 2 weeks ago honestly its an XD40 so I don't have any expectations at all lol

Interesting that the J shuttle was covered entirely by SI division today. Lotsa new buses out there.

What? A shuttle in Brooklyn and run entirely by Staten Island division? What are they smoking?

(Although, watching all those buses run through Bay Ridge to get to the Verrazano should be interesting...)

What? A shuttle in Brooklyn and run entirely by Staten Island division? What are they smoking?

(Although, watching all those buses run through Bay Ridge to get to the Verrazano should be interesting...)

Well most of the Brooklyn Division buses were being used on the (Q) Shuttles...

I still remember that time over the summer when the (2)(5) shuttles from E 180th to 3rd Avenue - 149th Street were being operated by at least one bus from every depot in the city... there was even a Prevost running on the shuttle (which I sadly missed... :( )

Well most of the Brooklyn Division buses were being used on the (Q) Shuttles...

I still remember that time over the summer when the (2)(5) shuttles from E 180th to 3rd Avenue - 149th Street were being operated by at least one bus from every depot in the city... there was even a Prevost running on the shuttle (which I sadly missed... :( )

From what I can tell the (1) shuttle was being operated primarily by Kingsbridge Depot, with some buses coming out of Gun Hill.  Quite a few new 40 footers were used today as I passed by on the BxM1.  The buses were noticeably more crowded.  I got a the last BxM2 to the city on Saturday night and the last one back to Riverdale, and both had nice loads.  The 01:15 had around 10 or so passengers.  

Had a ride on a DDOT Xcelsior artic today, and it was very smooth overall.  Nary a rattle, and we had a full load (fully seated plus a good amount of standees) by the end of the route.  B/O was a little heavy-footed and that baby could respond.  Got a good 40mph cooking (in 30-35 zone) between stops, and weaved in and out of traffic easily.  Still even had a bit of the "new bus smell" about it, even though it's probably been in service for at least 3 months (looked it too inside).

Also caught another XD40 and another positive experience.

These new New Flyers are proving to be tough little b*tches in the rough Detroit environment, and made me feel like I was going a step-down when getting onto the SMART Gilligs.

EDIT:  Save me from looking through the pics you guys post -- Are MTA spec'd Xcelsior arctics 2- or 3-door?  Thinking that they're 2 from what I remember.  Surprised DDOT's are 3s, given that they like to have as many seats as possible, and the old Neoplans used to have 2 IIRC (their last artics that saw service in the 80s/early 90s).

Edited by DetSMART45

This probie on the B52 Xcelsior 7278 is getting on my last damn nerves!!! He can't drive.... Can't pass cars, doesn't know how to merge and takes 6 years just to turn the damn corner.... Made me miss 2 connecting buses!!!! Ugh.... Someone get his slow ass off the road please!!!

Had a ride on a DDOT Xcelsior artic today, and it was very smooth overall.  Nary a rattle, and we had a full load (fully seated plus a good amount of standees) by the end of the route.  B/O was a little heavy-footed and that baby could respond.  Got a good 40mph cooking (in 30-35 zone) between stops, and weaved in and out of traffic easily.  Still even had a bit of the "new bus smell" about it, even though it's probably been in service for at least 3 months (looked it too inside).

Also caught another XD40 and another positive experience.

These new New Flyers are proving to be tough little b*tches in the rough Detroit environment, and made me feel like I was going a step-down when getting onto the SMART Gilligs.

EDIT:  Save me from looking through the pics you guys post -- Are MTA spec'd Xcelsior arctics 2- or 3-door?  Thinking that they're 2 from what I remember.  Surprised DDOT's are 3s, given that they like to have as many seats as possible, and the old Neoplans used to have 2 IIRC (their last artics that saw service in the 80s/early 90s).

I was finally able to catch one on Warren Av. #14 A couple months ago and it's definitely a step up from that Gillig trash. SMART hates those things!! Lol

This probie on the B52 Xcelsior 7278 is getting on my last damn nerves!!! He can't drive.... Can't pass cars, doesn't know how to merge and takes 6 years just to turn the damn corner.... Made me miss 2 connecting buses!!!! Ugh.... Someone get his slow ass off the road please!!!

Ugh, goh-dammit.... I had a B/O like that on the M2 on sunday (3861 I think it was). Absolutely excruciating.

Bad news. Plenty of new probies at most Brooklyn Division depots. I had one that did the similar to what 7278 (FP). But this one was on a Spring Creek bus.

I was finally able to catch one on Warren Av. #14 A couple months ago and it's definitely a step up from that Gillig trash. SMART hates those things!! Lol

Ugh, goh-dammit.... I had a B/O like that on the M2 on sunday (3861 I think it was). Absolutely excruciating.

Bad news. Plenty of new probies at most Brooklyn Division depots. I had one that did the similar to what 7278 (FP). But this one was on a Spring Creek bus.

There seems to be TONS of newbies all over now.  What exactly is the deal?  As for Manhattanville, they have the SLOWEST drivers on earth.  Take any of the Madison Avenue buses during rush hour, and you'll see how slow they are.  Monday I had to be uptown off of 5th and below 125th.  I usually board in the 50's, but the trip takes so long with the slow driving that I actually jumped on the (4) and just got off at 86th to finish the trip.  Got a local M1 bus.  Boy was that a mistake.  The guy hit every light possible and had conversations with every passenger.  I said dude it's rush hour.  What sort of schedule is this guy on? I had to get off at 96th and just wait for a limited bus to come.

Yet another example of Jackie Gleason drivers doing whatever the hell they want...

Twice today(in the morning and the afternoon) I've seen Bay Ridge bound buses in service on Bay Ridge Parkway instead of 78 Street turning left on Narrows and stopping in the middle of the intersection to pick up and drop off people. I mean they're screwing over 78 Street and Narrows Av

Yet another example of Jackie Gleason drivers doing whatever the hell they want...

Twice today(in the morning and the afternoon) I've seen Bay Ridge bound buses in service on Bay Ridge Parkway instead of 78 Street turning left on Narrows and stopping in the middle of the intersection to pick up and drop off people. I mean they're screwing over 78 Street and Narrows Av

That's been going on for years on the B4, and it's even worse in Sheepshead Bay, though I'll admit that it's worked to my advantage.  Needed the X27 and the B4 driver just dropped me off along Shore Rd. lol

That's been going on for years on the B4, and it's even worse in Sheepshead Bay, though I'll admit that it's worked to my advantage.  Needed the X27 and the B4 driver just dropped me off along Shore Rd. lol

The morning ones will occasionally drop off kids right in front of Fort Hamilton's gates especially when there is a garbage truck blocking 78 Street and the bus has to go via 80th.

There seems to be TONS of newbies all over now.  What exactly is the deal?  As for Manhattanville, they have the SLOWEST drivers on earth.  Take any of the Madison Avenue buses during rush hour, and you'll see how slow they are.  Monday I had to be uptown off of 5th and below 125th.  I usually board in the 50's, but the trip takes so long with the slow driving that I actually jumped on the (4) and just got off at 86th to finish the trip.  Got a local M1 bus.  Boy was that a mistake.  The guy hit every light possible and had conversations with every passenger.  I said dude it's rush hour.  What sort of schedule is this guy on? I had to get off at 96th and just wait for a limited bus to come.

I guess they got the new probies on this Vision Zero law. For anyone who has CDL including myself. The rules are a bit different which includes if you hit someone on your first accident, its points and suspension. 2nd time is the lifetime ban of CDL. Just simply wish that this Vision Zero law didn't apply for bus drivers or for anyone who drives commercial.

But damm, i feel bad for the Manhattan Division drivers. Especially during rush hour time. Sorry you had to go thru this man. However, there are better MHV drivers than that person who can handle the rush hour traffic down Madison.